Scott Kennedy

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Same here. I really liked his ability to defend the forwards who tried to hold up play with their back to goal. In such instances he stripped Sargent of the ball more than once. Then, I really liked the timing of some of his tackles. Much has been made of his passing being his weak spot, but based on today I wouldn't say he's necessarily a bad passer, it's just that it doesn't stand out compared to his other attributes, such as his defending and speed. His passing at this level is very average, but that's fine. I like that he doesn't attempt the low percentage pass, which Cornelius and especially Henry tend to do. Kennedy keeps it simple, which I like, and having this sort of traditional center back will be good for Canada. Oh, and I noticed he won most of his headers today, which you always want from your CBs. 

It's too bad they lost today, but I am was left with a good impression of Kennedy and I think he'll fit in nicely with our team. I certainly think he will give Miller and Cornelius a run for their money at the left center back spot. With a veteran like Vitoria in the other CB spot, I think we are looking more solid here than I expected we would.

Very excited to see Kennedy in the next window.

First time seeing Kennedy as well and while I concur with all of the above, he will need to improve the accuracy of those passes if he hopes to play at a higher level. 

This is a great story a Canadian player who starts in the German 6th. Division after leaving Canada at 18 to go to Europe and try his luck . Moreover a player who was never part of any of the youth national teams . Even if he never plays in Germany’s top league and just to reach this division in Germany considering where he started is incredible. Not taking away anything from this players accomplishments so far ,but it shows how desperate Canada is at that Center Back position that we are all hoping this kid either keeps playing well to become an everyday starter in Germany even at this level, which to me is not a bad level at all , I would compare it pretty closely to the English Championship. I know sometimes we just look at where a player plays to determine how good he is instead of just looking at the player but usually you have to be good to be playing where you play . Anyways it does seem like compared to the talent Canada has in all of the other positions there seems to be a big drop when it comes to Center Back , hopefully with guys like Kennedy improving that position will start matching the other positions on the rest of the field in terms of talent . Kennedy does remind me that not so long ago Canada did have a Center Back who played a few good seasons in Germany’s top division, Kevin McKenna a player that if we had him now I think would have probably solved some of the anxiety we are presently having with that position.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

would have probably solved some of the anxiety we are presently having with that position.

Except for this particular forum. We are always in a state of anxiety; it's not something that can be solved. In fact, I think anxiety might be the default setting of your most ardent #CanMNT supporters. ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 hours ago, PopePouri said:

It may be worth taking the flexibility hit and moving him to RCB.

Would you mind elaborating on this statement?

Kennedy is primarily a Left side CB and then a LB. We have other centre backs who don't play LB or RB but play primarily as left side CB or ride side CB that are likely more easily shifted around. 

The exception might be Miller. Did you say that because you are interested in seeing both Miller and Kennedy as a CB pair?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Yes, I think Miller and Kennedy would be my preferred pairing, form pending.

It seems the majority of our up and coming CB pool are left footed aka Cornelius, Montgomery, Miller, Kennedy and Sturing and it seems our RCB pool has only established but questionable options aka Henry, Vitoria, James and Ferriera. If any of our up and comers possess some sort of right foot, it may be worth the switch. I've seen Kennedy a few times and he seems confident with both feet, wayward passing aside.

Really important win for Regensburg, and another solid performance from Kennedy. Good awareness as usual with his tackling and heading, but his passing looked a lot better today too. He didn't lob the ball to the other side of the field without pressure, and actually played it forward competently. He even held up possession with runs up the left a few times, and I'm not sure if we have other defenders (let alone CB's) who can do that. 7.1  rating on sofascore.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So that puts them 8 above relegation with 7 games to go.

Not done yet, but close. Having Scott play another year in B2 is big for us, for his age, the experience it will give him. 

Yes, I could easily see him out together a Straith-like career in Europe given his career trajectory.

I have no idea how the market works in Germany. True they are a modest team that occasionally have been up in B2 where they are now, mostly in B3. Not the kind of club that draws a lot of attention, although their Cup run might have helped a bit. 

Trying to say that I don't suppose he'd be scouted by better sides given where he is, but don't know.

11 hours ago, PopePouri said:

Straith only played 40 games in B2 before dropping down a level and staying there. It's easy to assume that Scott will surpass that, unless something happens.

I was looking up Straith the other day to compare with Kennedy and his stretch in the Energie Cottbus team came as a 20 year old, whereas Kennedy doing similar at the age of 24. Make of that what you will, but perhaps it suggests that Kennedy will likely have a longer stretch in this division (and perhaps beyond), given he is a mature player who gradually worked his way to this level, whereas Straith started in this division very young and gradually slipped down a few levels.

I mentioned this on discord the other day but I'll post it here too. I heard from family in Germany that there are two or three 2. Bundesliga clubs along with one Bundesliga club that are following Kennedy's progress. Apparently there's no concrete interest in him yet but they like what they've seen and are keeping an eye on Kennedy. It was his performance against Köln in the cup that attracted other clubs attention. I'm not sure how reliable this information is though.

2 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

I heard from family in Germany that there are two or three 2. Bundesliga clubs along with one Bundesliga club that are following Kennedy's progress. Apparently there's no concrete interest in him yet but they like what they've seen and are keeping an eye on Kennedy. It was his performance against Köln in the cup that attracted other clubs attention. I'm not sure how reliable this information is though.

I can't find a single rumour online about this but I trust your source because you were right about the Bavarian B2 club being interested in him! That worked out to be true. :)

He's on a three year contract. Yes, with Sebastian Nachreiner still injured, he has played 3 full matches in a row. I think we should all be cautious though. Hopefully all continues to go well until the end of May and the Jahn don't get relegated and he plays another season of B2 with them. Then, after 2 seasons at B2, if he continues to get good minutes...well... who knows?!

38 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope this is just a rough patch and not the start of a consistent issue. The last thing we need is Regensburg cutting their losses if they feel he's going to regularly be hurt.

I don't think The Jahn will view it this way since unlike Ricardo Ferreira, all his injuries have been different. A concussion this time, previously it was was knee issue. Last year in Austria he had a groin thing.

He just has to take it easy and recover from this one. You don't mess around with head injuries.