Scott Kennedy

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

As Kennedy wasn't included in the Olympic squad, surely he'll be called to the MNT now. After all he is the most promising player at a position in which we lack depth. 

We probably won't see him this camp. He's injured and even if he has recovered Regensburg is in lockdown with covid cases. I don't think he'll be able to go. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:53 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

7 (first team) players have tested positive. Hopefully Kennedy isn't one of them. :(

https://www.ssv-jahn.de/alle-neuigkeiten/news-im-detail/spielabsagen/?no_cache=1&cHash=c42b640080f6fd406760189d12034d9d

Their next two league matches have been postponed.

11 infected in total (players + staff). 

https://www.charivari.com/ssv-jahn-regensburg-quarantaene-von-spielern-und-trainerstab-geht-zu-ende-81033/

With, at least 7 of those 11 being first team players (as mentioned previously).

Training has now resumed for those who weren't infected.

9 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Looks like he's still injured

Very possible we're gonna be without him, VItoria, Henry and of course Cornelius. Miller, James and Sturing seem likely. 

And Waterman, maybe Didic/Zator or Ferreira. Outside bet Dunn as he couldn't go to the U23's. Super dark horse Halbouni who clearly either hugely impressed or hugely unimpressed in January lol.

17 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"Knochenprellung im Knie" (bone contusion in the knee?)

https://www.ssv-jahn.de/alle-neuigkeiten/news-im-detail/clever-und-mutig-agieren/

I translate that as a bruised knee bone. Which according to the internet if it's mild it could be a few weeks to a month recovery or several months if severe.

Edited by Nate3322

• 3 weeks later...

He's back, and he played the full 90 today! Didn't see this time, but he was solid apparently.

A win would've been great, but Regensburg settled for a draw and remain in the relegation battle. Werder Bremen game is next week, and Nachreiner might be back, so we'll see whether he's stolen that starting spot. 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, Stryker911 said:

Also interested to see how he does against Sargent.

This "duel" might come to pass. Sargent was suspended for Werder Bremen's B1 match on Sunday and therefore should be well rested for tomorrow.

Also Werder Bremen lost one of their other strikers (Niclas Füllkrug) to a broken toe, making it even more likely that Sargent will start.

https://www.werder.de/de/aktuell/news/profis/20202021/vorberichte/dfb-pokal/vorbericht-regensburg-06042021/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Kennedy, Sargent both starting. Might be available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAYzbTG7vz0 but I'm not sure.

Stream worked perfectly!

1st half thoughts:

Werder Bremen are obviously a class above. Faster and with better technique on the ball.

Kennedy very solid defensively. That Sargent duel has been a real thing! :D

Kennedy often has these very long "over the top" passes when building from the back; sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

Around the 20th minute he had a chance from a set piece but either the delivery was a little off or he was a touch too slow and couldn't get on the end of it.

Very Canadian weather for this April match; 2°C and just a wee bit of snow in the air.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

First time I’ve ever seen Kennedy - he looked pretty good. He’s a mobile defender which we can definitely use. 

Same here. I really liked his ability to defend the forwards who tried to hold up play with their back to goal. In such instances he stripped Sargent of the ball more than once. Then, I really liked the timing of some of his tackles. Much has been made of his passing being his weak spot, but based on today I wouldn't say he's necessarily a bad passer, it's just that it doesn't stand out compared to his other attributes, such as his defending and speed. His passing at this level is very average, but that's fine. I like that he doesn't attempt the low percentage pass, which Cornelius and especially Henry tend to do. Kennedy keeps it simple, which I like, and having this sort of traditional center back will be good for Canada. Oh, and I noticed he won most of his headers today, which you always want from your CBs. 

It's too bad they lost today, but I am was left with a good impression of Kennedy and I think he'll fit in nicely with our team. I certainly think he will give Miller and Cornelius a run for their money at the left center back spot. With a veteran like Vitoria in the other CB spot, I think we are looking more solid here than I expected we would.

Very excited to see Kennedy in the next window.

Even if passing isn’t his strong suit, having mobile backs and a DM like Eustaquio may make the job easier.  If he just has to focus on defending and then giving it to someone else nearby who is responsible for distribution then so be it.  We may not be a team that plays out of the back at all costs - and I would be okay with that.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

His passing...I like that he doesn't attempt the low percentage pass, which Cornelius and especially Henry tend to do. Kennedy keeps it simple, which I like...

This reflected his play more in the 2nd half.

In the 1st half I can recall 3 very long "over the top" passes that he made; they almost seemed like keeper "dump and chase" passes. One was brilliant and led to some good offensive play by Regensburg (that sadly fizzled out) but the other two just gave the ball back to Werder.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I certainly think he will give Miller and Cornelius a run for their money at the left center back spot. With a veteran like Vitoria in the other CB spot, I think we are looking more solid here than I expected we would.

Very excited to see Kennedy in the next window.

I really feel we need to see how he gels with the team and want to see him in that left CB spot vs Aruba. Then take it from there.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This reflected his play more in the 2nd half.

In the 1st half I can recall 3 very long "over the top" passes that he made; they almost seemed like keeper "dump and chase" passes. One was brilliant and led to some good offensive play by Regensburg (that sadly fizzled out) but the other two just gave the ball back to Werder.

By "low percentage" passes I meant "less risky". The long passes over the top are low percentage, but not very risky, which is fine by me.

He doesn't try to thread the needle too often, which I have seen from Cornelius and especially Henry. When you complete those passes and break lines, it's great, but when you don't and you're turning over the ball in the middle of the field, it's not so great.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I really feel we need to see how he gels with the team and want to see him in that left CB spot vs Aruba. Then take it from there.

I thought the same thing, actually. Get him up to speed in the first match and if he does well he could potentially start against Suriname.