Scott Kennedy

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Meh.  That's just a convenient way of absolving him of any responsibility in the matter.  Even if we brought him into the fold in the youth teams, he would've left us just like he left Wales when England came calling.

Geez...someone is bitter!  
Hey, where’s Pedro Pacheco these days?  🤪

44 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Meh.  That's just a convenient way of absolving him of any responsibility in the matter.  Even if we brought him into the fold in the youth teams, he would've left us just like he left Wales when England came calling.

Of course, but that's why I also said this:

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's also a personal choice at the end of the day, so if his dream was live out his British fantasy then it's kind of hard to hate him for that, no matter how detrimental it was for our program.

He never had a responsibility to play for Canada, it was just an option he decided not to take. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He never had a responsibility to play for Canada, it was just an option he decided not to take. 

So then there was no reason to mention the fact that he was never picked for Canadian youth teams, was there?  Far too often that's used as an excuse and rarely does it hold water.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So then there was no reason to mention the fact that he was never picked for Canadian youth teams, was there?  Far too often that's used as an excuse and rarely does it hold water.

It only matters insofar as it was probably a factor that never helped.

For all we know he would have leveraged Canada to gain attention elsewhere, but who knows. All I know is that not picking him for our youth teams couldn't have helped. 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

OH..definately OH for me.....after the 2000 GC it seemed like we were getting back on track and here was this  young kid with such a bright future coming from Calgary, of course he would choose Canada.  Maybe we could get back to the WC...I was young enough to still have some hope then.  If he would have gone the other way, said FU to England, I want to stick with Canada and get them over the hump it could have made a big difference.  For me the talented CDN kid that turns away from Canada starts with him.  And it snowballed into JDG, Assholivic, Bunbury, Leroux etc and didnt really slow down until Akindele really helped break the trend.   

You said all the things I wanted to. Thanks for that.

I was in university when OH turned us down, and honestly I can't remember any previous dual nationals turning us down although I don't feel like he was the first one, but rather the big one that was poised to reverse the trend like Akindele eventually did a generation later. Can anyone name earlier dual nationals that we lost?

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Did Akindele reverse the trend? I think we were thankful for him but he was hardly ever going to play for the USA. Hoilett likewise only had us or Jamaica. Vitoria had just us.. 

Eustaquio was the first real dual commit that was notable.

??????????????  Akindele was at a US senior camp before he came to us.  He was coming off a MLS rookie of the year, hot young prospect (sound like someone else we know..cough cough Akinola).  He committed to us that summer, Hoilett came that fall, Arfield came that winter.  Hell even Cavallini came back into the fold that fall after a 3 year break.  It was big, that definately reversed a trend of the best guys going elsewhere.  If he had pulled a Bunbury, I dont know if the rest of the dominos would have fallen into place.  

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Did Akindele reverse the trend? I think we were thankful for him but he was hardly ever going to play for the USA. Hoilett likewise only had us or Jamaica. Vitoria had just us.. 

Eustaquio was the first real dual commit that was notable.

Akindele absolutely was a viable USA option. Especially since they cap time every living thing imaginable, the MLS rookie of the year would for sure have seen at least a few senior caps.

Hoilett had options too. I mean, Jamaica is better than us. Also rumoured his dad wanted him to represent the Reggae Boys. We are lucky to have Junior.

Vitoria had options as well: no international career. Canada historically is not a prestigious option, and I'm sure there are players would would rather forgo an international career than play for Canada. (maybe less now). Just saying don't discount choosing to represent Canada as significant.

Eustaquio was definitely not the first real dual national we had commit to Canada. What if Davies really wanted to play for Ghana? Or Radz Poland? or Hutchinson TnT? Or Borjan Serbia? Or David Haiti?

I think we have been blessed with some dual nationals who had other international options but chose Canada and never looked back. The dual nationals that hold out on Canada (Tabla, Hoilett, JDG2, etc) get a lot of press and drive conversations, but that doesn't mean they were the only ones with options.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Akindele absolutely was a viable USA option. Especially since they cap time every living thing imaginable, the MLS rookie of the year would for sure have seen at least a few senior caps.

Hoilett had options too. I mean, Jamaica is better than us. Also rumoured his dad wanted him to represent the Reggae Boys. We are lucky to have Junior.

Vitoria had options as well: no international career. Canada historically is not a prestigious option, and I'm sure there are players would would rather forgo an international career than play for Canada. (maybe less now). Just saying don't discount choosing to represent Canada as significant.

Eustaquio was definitely not the first real dual national we had commit to Canada. What if Davies really wanted to play for Ghana? Or Radz Poland? or Hutchinson TnT? Or Borjan Serbia? Or David Haiti?

I think we have been blessed with some dual nationals who had other international options but chose Canada and never looked back. The dual nationals that hold out on Canada (Tabla, Hoilett, JDG2, etc) get a lot of press and drive conversations, but that doesn't mean they were the only ones with options.

David Haiti? He’d have been much more likely to play for USA than Haiti.

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Vitoria had options as well: no international career. Canada historically is not a prestigious option, and I'm sure there are players would would rather forgo an international career than play for Canada. (maybe less now). 

This is critical. Playing for Canada comes with minimal chance to play in a World Cup and poses possibly more career risks than opportunities. I remember way back when Sarnia-born but UK-raised Kevin Sharpe was playing in the English lower leagues and rejected playing for us (rather stridently IIRC) and I never understood the surprise on the old N54 board. Why would he? Does anyone really think Ricardo Ferreira is going to look back and wish he’d had the chance to play Dominica? If Tomori never plays for England again is he going to rue the days he didn’t leave Milan to jet half way across the world to Tegucigalpa? Heck even Daniel Fernandes, with his maybe four Portugal caps went to WC 2010, no?

This is why Hargreaves was so critical - it would have been such a strong signal to other players in the same situation that choosing Canada was not just the right thing to do but also worth it...and not the irrational choice for high-end dual Nats that we all know it is.

Edited by The Real Marc

21 hours ago, longlugan said:

Just an update...according to Kicker online the injured defender Scott replaced in the last match will be out 3-4 weeks.

Yup. 3 to 4 weeks for Nachreiner

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/jahn-regensburg-ohne-wekesser-zum-ksc-1.5197664

https://www.ssv-jahn.de/alle-neuigkeiten/news-im-detail/wir-muessen-gut-vorbereitet-sein/

The coach on Wekesser: ""Ten yellow cards are way too much. He has to work on that," :D 

https://www.bundesliga.com/de/2bundesliga/statistiken/spieler/gelbe-karten

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is that a two game ban for 10 yellows? 

11 hours ago, archer21 said:

David Haiti? He’d have been much more likely to play for USA than Haiti.

Not if he had close emotional or cultural ties to Haiti. Who knows what goes into these decisions. Every player is different.

Plus, let us not forget: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/29/haiti-3-canada-2-2019-concacaf-gold-cup-match-recap

3 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

Kennedy starts today, interestingly he's starting at LB.

Played 66 minutes or so.  Clean sheet.

Looks like Benedikt Gimber, the left-side-centre-back got two yellow cards and was sent off. So with the usual left-back Erik Wekesser back next game and two centre backs unavailable, Scott should be back at centre-back next weekend.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:27 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cup draw is this afternoon, 6.30 local time. Quarter finals first week of March, single game knock-out, as are semis. I suppose it is a pure draw, lower tier teams could end up home or away. 

Jahn Regensburg will host SV Werder Bremen. Fairly good draw. On paper Bremen may be the weakest of the five 1.Bundesliga teams remaining. Jahn Regensburg also getting another home game is nice.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Jahn Regensburg will host SV Werder Bremen. Fairly good draw. On paper Bremen may be the weakest of the five 1.Bundesliga teams remaining. Jahn Regensburg also getting another home game is nice.

Of all the Bundesliga teams they are definitely the weakest. Also interested to see how he does against Sargent. Pretty good draw for them.

Good, more experience going the full 90 in the 2.Bundesliga, and the team gets a decent result. All positive.

A cautionary word however: Adam Straith was around this age when he was getting starts in this division for Energie Cottbus. Now I think Kennedy has a lot more upside, but let's just try to be realistic while we cheer on his development.