Scott Kennedy

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Are people ever going to let go of those two? Seems silly to get that irritated over them after all these years, especially when we have Davies and David now.

Guys, you do not need to like Hargreaves or JDG2 or anything, but try a little harder not to get triggered into responding. 

Or if you want to hold on to your hatred of them for the rest of your life, you can do that too I guess.

I don't think people hate them after all these years, per se.  I think its more the fact that people here hate factual inaccuracies, because Hargreaves is English and not Canadian.  Voyageurs pride themselves on being accurate above all else and when you say something that is so easily demonstrably false, you will get called on it. 😎 

55 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't think people hate them after all these years, per se.  I think its more the fact that people here hate factual inaccuracies, because Hargreaves is English and not Canadian.  Voyageurs pride themselves on being accurate above all else and when you say something that is so easily demonstrably false, you will get called on it. 😎 

Keeper of the Sar-Chasm! :)

14 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Watching the highlights of those goals it would appear Nachreiner, whi Kennedy came on for, was pretty poor on both Koln goals. Without watching the entire game, hard to say that Kennedy wasn't a difference maker.

It's hard to fathom how a manager can watch the clown-car defending on those 2 goals and think, "that's my guy", despite the existence of clear alternatives. 😒

26 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's hard to fathom how a manager can watch the clown-car defending on those 2 goals and think, "that's my guy", despite the existence of clear alternatives. 😒

Well, Nachreiner's injrued now, and their LB is out next game. He's been with the team for 10 years to be fair, so it's understandable, but with the way Kennedy's playing, he'll have to get more starts.

So because I have nothing better to do I went on to the Jahn Regensburg forums and compiled a bunch of quotes about Kennedy. The Regensburg fans are really pleased with Kennedy's performances and seem to rate him. 

"When will Elvedi and Kennedy finally become our starting CBs, I don't understand why Nachreiner plays all the time."

"Kennedy cleared away everything and stopped anyone that got in his way and he was completely composed at the back."

"My man of the match: clearly Kennedy!"

"Well, I like Kennedy a lot, I can no longer explain to myself why he's considered the third choice CB.  Every time he plays his performances are always somewhere between very solid and good, which cannot be said of the other two (Elvedi and Nachreiner)."

"I thought Kennedy was really good"

So with any luck we'll see Kennedy cement himself as the starting CB for Regensburg especially with Nachreiner out with a muscle injury of some sort.

Edited by Nate3322
grammar

48 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They changed the draw date from Feb 7th to Feb 5th?!?

You are assuming I know what the date is today?!!

Right you are, the 7th, thanks for that.

Even though the other lower tier teams have done well, and Kiel especially was leading B2, I would argue it is still better to get one of those than a B1 team. 

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are assuming I know what the date is today?!!

Right you are, the 7th, thanks for that.

Even though the other lower tier teams have done well, and Kiel especially was leading B2, I would argue it is still better to get one of those than a B1 team. 

Yeah, I’m sure they’d be happy to see Essen as their opponent, even though they just beat Leverkusen.

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

Are people ever going to let go of those two? Seems silly to get that irritated over them after all these years, especially when we have Davies and David now.

Guys, you do not need to like Hargreaves or JDG2 or anything, but try a little harder not to get triggered into responding. 

Or if you want to hold on to your hatred of them for the rest of your life, you can do that too I guess.

I agree.  I also feel that Tomori might end up hurting even more than both of these guys in the long term.  CB is our one crucial missing link at the moment.  This was a game changer.

Question for y'all:  Given the teams we had during the OH days, vs what JDG2 would have given during his peak, and what Tomori could have brought us now... which hurts more?  

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

I agree.  I also feel that Tomori might end up hurting even more than both of these guys in the long term.  CB is our one crucial missing link at the moment.  This was a game changer.

Question for y'all:  Given the teams we had during the OH days, vs what JDG2 would have given during his peak, and what Tomori could have brought us now... which hurts more?  

OH hurts the most.  Partly because he grew up in Calgary and there really should have been no reason for him to change at that point.  Tomori is completely different in this case and I even forgive JDG2 a smidge because he spent a lot of time in the Netherlands as a youth.  I can at least understand why those two did it.  OH I have a harder time with.

Also, in the early 2000s, we had an amazing team with Bundesliga and EPL players to go along with MLS all stars.  One could make a good case that the teams that beat Belize in Kingston in 2004 were on par (or better) than our team today.  If we had someone of OH's quality, that might've pushed us over the top.  Good results do wonders for the program.  Definitely more so than crashing out against Guatemala.  Different results for that qualifying run really could've changed the tide for the whole program and we would most likely be in a better spot at this point all-around.

54 minutes ago, costarg said:

I look at the 2010 WCQ team and we were rock solid. We already had a great midfield that a player like Imhof couldn't even crack ... Adding Hargreaves and JDG2 to the mix would have made us unquestionably the best midfield in CONCACAF.

A midfield depth chart including: JDG, Hutchinson, Bernier, OH, JDG2, Imhof would have been wild. We probably would have moved JDG2 to an attacking role with DeRo, Gerba and Radzinski. 

-------Radzinski---DeRo--------

--------JDG2---Hutchinson-------

----------OH----De Guzman------

Klukowski--Serioux--McKenna--Stalteri

--------------Hirschfeld--------------

That team or our current MNT? I think the enticing thing about the above team is that it would have so much experience. Like look at that box midfield... featuring 4 of the best midfielders in CONCACAF history (if 2 of them could be considered Canadian).

*This is all just fun. I could really care less about JDG2 or OH or what's happened in the past. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

40 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

OH hurts the most.  Partly because he grew up in Calgary and there really should have been no reason for him to change at that point.  Tomori is completely different in this case and I even forgive JDG2 a smidge because he spent a lot of time in the Netherlands as a youth.  I can at least understand why those two did it.  OH I have a harder time with.

Also, in the early 2000s, we had an amazing team with Bundesliga and EPL players to go along with MLS all stars.  One could make a good case that the teams that beat Belize in Kingston in 2004 were on par (or better) than our team today.  If we had someone of OH's quality, that might've pushed us over the top.  Good results do wonders for the program.  Definitely more so than crashing out against Guatemala.  Different results for that qualifying run really could've changed the tide for the whole program and we would most likely be in a better spot at this point all-around.

Could have used better coaching back then (or any sort of coaching) to push that group over the top, the two training sessions at Carleton University prior to the games in Kingston consisted of small sided scrimmages. 

Just now, jordan said:

Could have used better coaching back then (or any sort of coaching) to push that group over the top, the two training sessions at Carleton University prior to the games in Kingston consisted of small sided scrimmages. 

Yeah, I was going to say something about Yallop but decided not to.  He was a trainwreck.  What could've been...

(btw, I was there too).

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Really good question. I am tempted to say Tomori, but I think I will go with JDG2. I felt we were really on the cusp of being able to qualify with that squad. JDG2 would have pushed us over the top. His brother was a key member of our team. Hoilett was rumored to join sooner if it happened. There was such a building optimism and it really looked like it was going to happen and then poof, it just went up in smoke. So it felt like a bigger loss because it seemed like a real possibility. To make it worse it was right before WCQ began if I recall correctly.

The thing about Tomori is that despite our "weak spot" at CB, the program is in much better shape overall now than during the JDG2 days. Tomori would no doubt give us extra quality, but I expect us to qualify with or without him. I was not as confident without JDG2.

As for OH, that one hurts the least for me. He never really seemed like a realistic possibility. It rubbed me the wrong way when everyone was talking about the Canadian playing for England during the world cup, but I never expected anything different back in those days. It was sadly kind of normal for a world class Canadian to play elsewhere if he could. You know how you never really lose what you never really had? That's how I felt about OH.

OH is also the most distant of the 3. Time heals all wounds, at least for me.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, The Real Marc said:

I'd swap Tomori and Hargreaves, because the optics of having him choose us could have really altered the perception for future dual Nats. He could have been a game changer, Canadian born and bred talent at the worlds top teams.

Tomori, he's just a good player with a distant connection.

That's a good point, but to be fair he was briefly playing for our youth teams, so perhaps that makes the distant connection a little less distant...

I know what you mean though, one guy was merely born here. The other was born, raised and developed. Big difference.

Both in Calgary, ironically.

OH..definately OH for me.....after the 2000 GC it seemed like we were getting back on track and here was this  young kid with such a bright future coming from Calgary, of course he would choose Canada.  Maybe we could get back to the WC...I was young enough to still have some hope then.  If he would have gone the other way, said FU to England, I want to stick with Canada and get them over the hump it could have made a big difference.  For me the talented CDN kid that turns away from Canada starts with him.  And it snowballed into JDG, Assholivic, Bunbury, Leroux etc and didnt really slow down until Akindele really helped break the trend.   

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

OH..definately OH for me.....after the 2000 GC it seemed like we were getting back on track and here was this  young kid with such a bright future coming from Calgary, of course he would choose Canada.  Maybe we could get back to the WC...I was young enough to still have some hope then.  If he would have gone the other way, said FU to England, I want to stick with Canada and get them over the hump it could have made a big difference.  For me the talented CDN kid that turns away from Canada starts with him.  And it snowballed into JDG, Assholivic, Bunbury, Leroux etc and didnt really slow down until Akindele really helped break the trend.   

Assholivic 😄

We had every chance to tie him down, didn't we?

The other thing about OH was that despite being a star for the Alberta provincial team he was overlooked for the Canadian youth teams. Not saying that it was right for him to abandon us over it, but you can at least see how that may have been a factor right? It's also a personal choice at the end of the day, so if his dream was live out his British fantasy then it's kind of hard to hate him for that, no matter how detrimental it was for our program.

Some people like Borjan and Davies feel they owe this country more than people like OH who were born and raised here. Considering each of their circumstances, it totally makes sense to me.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

The other thing about OH was that despite being a star for the Alberta provincial team he was overlooked for the Canadian youth teams. Not saying that it was right for him to abandon us over it, but you can at least see how that may have been a factor right? It's also a personal choice at the end of the day, so if his dream was live out his British fantasy then it's kind of hard to hate him for that, no matter how detrimental it was for our program.

Meh.  That's just a convenient way of absolving him of any responsibility in the matter.  Even if we brought him into the fold in the youth teams, he would've left us just like he left Wales when England came calling.