Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pacos continue to climb the Liga table with another win today. 3-1 with Stephen at CM for the full 90.

Eustaquio in the Liga Nos starting 11, and ranked as the top central midfielder.   https://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira-liga/artigos/votacao-fc-porto-em-maioria-do-onze-da-12-a-jornada-

Since joining Pacos in 2020, he has featured in 11 of the 14 games (starting most of those).  He has played in all 3 games since the league resumed and started in both games they've won in June.

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, frmr said:

Is that common? A club buying a loanee only to sell them in the same window?

If the sale price is higher than the contracted buy-option, a club would be stupid not to. Unless, of course, like Pacos, they think it's better for them to keep the player on for the season in hopes of both getting the money and the European football they're hoping for at the end of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"FC Porto does not sell or buy anyone in the winter market. Pepê closed for the next season, while Eustáquio is well underway." Pepe is joining Porto next season, so I assume this means that negotiations are in progress with Eustaquio

Multiple other reports saying negotiations are ongoing. So it seems like Porto will take him, but since the window ended, he'll be with Pacos until June. Pretty good arrangement if it happens imo.

Edited by PiedPilko
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

"FC Porto does not sell or buy anyone in the winter market. Pepê closed for the next season, while Eustáquio is well underway." Pepe is joining Porto next season, so I assume this means that negotiations are in progress with Eustaquio

Multiple other reports saying negotiations are ongoing. So it seems like Porto will take him, but since the window ended, he'll be with Pacos until June. Pretty good arrangement if it happens imo.

If he lands at a Portuguese powerhouse I will be very thankful that Cruz Azul stupidly cast him aside.  One more Canadian playing high level European footy would be awesome.  (And I know he is playing in the same league now, but Porto are perennially in European cup competitions as well). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

"FC Porto does not sell or buy anyone in the winter market. Pepê closed for the next season, while Eustáquio is well underway." Pepe is joining Porto next season, so I assume this means that negotiations are in progress with Eustaquio

Multiple other reports saying negotiations are ongoing. So it seems like Porto will take him, but since the window ended, he'll be with Pacos until June. Pretty good arrangement if it happens imo.

Pepe is with Porto now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched most of the match today. Paços got up two goals early vs. Gil Vicente and sat on them. Very tough game in a downpour with sheets of rain flashing across the pitch. Chippy, hard fought football, lots of cards, with even the beginnings of a brawl at one point 2nd half.  

I think Eustaquio had his moments, not always corresponded, there even was a play on a counter when he should have received the ball and the striker hogged it. He's all over the field, covering attacks, looking for plays, but also tends to go help the strikers. Seems very fit. Took a yellow late delaying on a free kick, after Gil got one back, and will miss this weekend's game, to me seemed deliberate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Watched most of the match today. Paços got up two goals early vs. Gil Vicente and sat on them. Very tough game in a downpour with sheets of rain flashing across the pitch. Chippy, hard fought football, lots of cards, with even the beginnings of a brawl at one point 2nd half.  

I think Eustaquio had his moments, not always corresponded, there even was a play on a counter when he should have received the ball and the striker hogged it. He's all over the field, covering attacks, looking for plays, but also tends to go help the strikers. Seems very fit. Took a yellow late delaying on a free kick, after Gil got one back, and will miss this weekend's game, to me seemed deliberate.

Do you know whom they're playing in their next 2 matches? If they're playing a weak team next, followed by a stronger team after that, a deliberate booking to clear the deck before a big match might make sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Do you know whom they're playing in their next 2 matches? If they're playing a weak team next, followed by a stronger team after that, a deliberate booking to clear the deck before a big match might make sense.

I thought the same thing in fact, but both teams are in mid to lower table, Tondela this weekend then Portimonense in a week. Maybe it has to do with fixture congestion. There's another player who also will miss the next match. 

They haven't lost this year, 7 matches without losing, five straight wins, the first goal against in the last 5.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pacos are now in 5th and 2 points behind Benfica (4th) and Braga (3rd). 6th place club are 2 points back with a game in hand.

Benfica play Vitoria de Guimaraes later this week and Braga have Porto next weekend.  Depending on the results of these games and if Pacos win their games, they could be up there in 3rd by next weekend.  It will be tough to maintain but both Braga & Benfica have European games coming up as well.  It's very difficult to be ahead of the top 4 teams in Portugal but its great to see that Pacos is right there with 2 of the big 4 teams in a battle for positions 3-6.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned before, Eustaquio is suspended for today's game for accumulated yellow cards.  However, Pacos have a very early lead 1-0.  Pacos got an ideal result from the Benfica vs Vitoria game earlier today (0-0).  That tie means, that if Pacos go on to win today, they will go 4 points clear of Vitoria de Guimaraes meaning even if Vitoria win their game in hand, they will be unable to  catch Pacos in that final European spot.  With Benfica dropping points, and if Pacos win today they will go tied for 4th with Benfica.  Quite a feat itself, given the difference in overall quality of players on paper.

It would also put them within 2 points of 3rd place Braga (which is a 3rd round Champions League Qualifying position).

Edited by Corazon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Full 90 in a 0-0 draw today. It's strange - Eustaquio can have these games where he seems uninvolved, but you check after the game, and he has the highest rating and like... more possession recoveries than anyone else combined. He's like a vacuum lol, he just syphons up loose balls.

 

If anyone else is watching though... are you concerned about his lack of long passing lately? I don't know if he's that playmaker we thought he was. It's certainly a threat, and he should've had at least 1 assist today, but he's done it less and less since December. It's not that he's any less impressive (his ability to clog up the middle is ridiculous); it's just that his skillset seems different than we originally understood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Full 90 in a 0-0 draw today. It's strange - Eustaquio can have these games where he seems uninvolved, but you check after the game, and he has the highest rating and like... more possession recoveries than anyone else combined. He's like a vacuum lol, he just syphons up loose balls.

 

If anyone else is watching though... are you concerned about his lack of long passing lately? I don't know if he's that playmaker we thought he was. It's certainly a threat, and he should've had at least 1 assist today, but he's done it less and less since December. It's not that he's any less impressive (his ability to clog up the middle is ridiculous); it's just that his skillset seems different than we originally understood. 

It's really nothing to worry about imo. It could be tactical/style changes from the manager or teams are now closing down on him more etc.

We've seen him do it. We know he's more than capable of doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough game Monday against league leaders Sporting.

However, cellar dwellers Boavista were able to get a draw today against 2nd place Porto. 

As a Canadian fan I actually get alot of pleasure from Boavista's struggles this year. With their much raved by MLS Reggie Cannon; and 2 of the 5 or so Hondurans that play in Europe I really hope they get relegated this year.

Edited by Stryker911
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honduras really only has 5 players from their NT playing in Europe now?

I just checked- 1 player in La Liga, 3 in 1st division Portugal, 1 in 2nd division Portugal.   Izaguirre isn’t with Celtic anymore so that’s it!

They don’t have any players in Europa or Champions League anymore either.

With Figueroa, Garcia and Izaguirre at the tail end of their careers they really don’t have that next level of top end guys filling out their roster.  We really should be ascending the the 4th spot in CONCACAF with the talent on our roster.

 

edit- obviously we would be talking a lot about Anthony Lozano playing  every week in La Liga and scoring 2x against Real Madrid the last 2 seasons; but he is the only guy who would be a sure fire starter on our team from Honduras except the 3 older guys.

edit 2 - Bryan Rochez at Nacional is their 5th European player and he would certainly be in the mix for Canada too.

Edited by baulderdash77
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

edit 2 - Bryan Rochez at Nacional is their 5th European player and he would certainly be in the mix for Canada too.

FWIW, Rochez went head to head with Larin at Orlando.  Both arrived at the same time but Larin was clearly better.  So, by "in-the-mix" he's clearly behind Larin who is fighting with Cavallini, David and Akinola at the center-forward position and with Millar and Hoillet and Davies out wide (among others).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

With Figueroa, Garcia and Izaguirre at the tail end of their careers they really don’t have that next level of top end guys filling out their roster.  We really should be ascending the the 4th spot in CONCACAF with the talent on our roster.

 

edit- obviously we would be talking a lot about Anthony Lozano playing  every week in La Liga and scoring 2x against Real Madrid the last 2 seasons; but he is the only guy who would be a sure fire starter on our team from Honduras except the 3 older guys.

Figueroa will be 38 this year and is playing MLS. Garcia will be 37 and is unattached. Izaguirre will be 35 and is playing in Honduras.

I don’t think any of those guys would be a sure fire call up, let alone starter. Maybe Figueroa just because of our weakness at CB. 
 

Lozano, for sure would be a call up. Starting over David though? Probably not. I really like Elis and Quioto though. Both would fight for spots for us.

As always though, Honduras is the sum of their parts and will surely be dangerous as ever. On paper we are clearly superior, but that’s never worked for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough 2-0 loss vs Sporting. Better than last time, but Pacos just don't have that much pace on the wings. 

 

This is getting repetitive, but Eustaquio was very solid defensively - 2nd highest rating on the team today. Sporting were purposely moving to the sides to avoid him.

 

 I'll still maintain he should be going forward / longballing more... I don't know if it's a psychological issue or a coaching decision, but Pacos need more directness against bigger teams if they're gonna compete in Europe, and Eustaquio should provide that better than anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Figueroa will be 38 this year and is playing MLS. Garcia will be 37 and is unattached. Izaguirre will be 35 and is playing in Honduras.... On paper we are clearly superior, but that’s never worked for us.

Posters talking about Atiba at 38:

star wars GIF

 

Posters talking about Honduran players who have kicked our ass before, at 37:

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...