Stephen Eustaquio

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

Isn't Joao Mario a winger?

Mostly middle of the park when I have seen him in Italy, Portugal and England.  A couple lineups have him wide when he played with us, but it was 5 at the back, a box of midfielders and Arnautovic on his own up front, from my memory. He scored a great goal against Southampton from deeper midfield I remember being in person for. 

His loan in Russia seems to show him wide, though. 

It looks like Pacos have sold LB Oleg Reabciuk to Olympiakos for 3.5 M, or about $5.5 M, and they get to keep 50%. I'm not completely sure, but it looks like his contract stipulates that Porto can pay a smaller fee that would bring him back.

He's had a really strong season, but I'm surprised he went for that much. If this goes through, could this put them in a position to keep Eustaquio?

Edited by PiedPilko

21 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

It looks like Pacos have sold LB Oleg Reabciuk to Olympiakos for 3.5 M, or about $5.5 M, and they get to keep 50%. I'm not completely sure, but it looks like his contract stipulates that Porto can pay a smaller fee that would bring him back.

He's had a really strong season, but I'm surprised he went for that much. If this goes through, could this put them in a position to keep Eustaquio?

His contract is still MUCH more expensive than the rest of the squad. That money will be used in other places. With the season he's been having, plus his cost etc, he's going elsewhere for sure. Pacos can't afford him.

11 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

His contract is still MUCH more expensive than the rest of the squad. That money will be used in other places. With the season he's been having, plus his cost etc, he's going elsewhere for sure. Pacos can't afford him.

Do you know how these loan contracts usually work? Like, would his terms specify that he stays at Pacos until his cotnract is up, or is he fair game in the upcoming transfer window?

His situation is developing every day! So Pacos don't have a buy option, which means that's not happening. The previous Cruz manager kinda didn't like him, but maybe Sanchez/whoever else might open their eyes and realize that Stephen would be a key player for them. 

Meanwhile, he's listed amongst the best midfielders in Portugal, and he's linked to Porto and Sporting, but I don't even know if Cruz Azul are organized enough to arrange a transfer. They must see that they could at least break even on him, but maybe they're just content to wait until the summer window, even though his value is probably higher than ever right now?

I feel like he could go to Sporting next week if CA got it together, but they have a bunch of other nonsense to focus on. The club he ends up / stays at in this upcoming window depends on how high he is on their priority list. The suspense is killing me!

Alright, I've progressed into new territories of unhealthy obsession, and emailed a Cruz Azul reporter who should have some internal contacts, about Eustaquio. She said that CA are desperate to sell their loanees, and would likely accept any reasonable offer for his services. She also confirmed that the previous manager had absolutely no interest in bringing him back.

Cruz Azul do have a new manager with Juan Reyonso, but I doubt that Stephen is on the top of his to-do list with the burning fire of terrible-ness that CA has become. What this exchange did clarify, though, is that the team seems very willing to go over the manager's head to liquidate excess funds. With that info, Porto/Sporting might just let Eustaquio's contract run its course, but if they're worried someone is actually gonna make a bid on him, they might also be forced to do so themselves.

So, summary... He could be on the move tomorrow, or at the end of the year, depending on who wants to force a bidding war. 

Update: Not only the manager, but the team board is apparently uninterested in him, so I think there's a good chance something happens in this window. I won't pretend to understand their thought process, but that's how it is.

Edited by PiedPilko

37 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Alright, I've progressed into new territories of unhealthy obsession, and emailed a Cruz Azul reporter who should have some internal contacts, about Eustaquio. She said that CA are desperate to sell their loanees, and would likely accept any reasonable offer for his services. She also confirmed that the previous manager had absolutely no interest in bringing him back.

Cruz Azul do have a new manager with Juan Reyonso, but I doubt that Stephen is on the top of his to-do list with the burning fire of terrible-ness that CA has become. What this exchange did clarify, though, is that the team seems very willing to go over the manager's head to liquidate excess funds. With that info, Porto/Sporting might just let Eustaquio's contract run its course, but if they're worried someone is actually gonna make a bid on him, they might also be forced to do so themselves.

So, summary... He could be on the move tomorrow, or at the end of the year, depending on who wants to force a bidding war. 

Update: Not only the manager, but the team board is apparently uninterested in him, so I think there's a good chance something happens in this window. I won't pretend to understand their thought process, but that's how it is.

That seems really ridiculous. What's the issue with Eustaquio? Attitude?

I've watched a single Cruz Azul game since Eustaquio joined and I hardly think they're good enough to simply ignore a player of his quality. 

Eustaquio's contract ends June 30, 2021.  He's unlikely to move during the winter transfer window,  particularly to clubs like Porto or Benfica unless CA asks for a really low transfer fee.  

Most likely, Eustaquio will go on a free transfer to a club over the summer.

6 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Eustaquio's contract ends June 30, 2021.  He's unlikely to move during the winter transfer window,  particularly to clubs like Porto or Benfica unless CA asks for a really low transfer fee.  

Most likely, Eustaquio will go on a free transfer to a club over the summer.

Wouldn't they wanna get something for him?

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

This is better reporting than 99% of (documented) journalists in Canada.

He played higher up the pitch in the first half, and was dominant. Made some fantastic interceptions, and was really effective as a roaming playmaker. I love how he tails his teammates on counter-attacks; he's always there as a fail safe if a forward gets outnumbered and needs someone to make a switch. He's definitely played further back lately, but he's so so much more exciting in this position. Hopefully Pepa lets him keep it up.

He went back to more traditional CDM in the 2nd half, and did well enough. He does have a bit of a tendency to go into challenges too early, but he was solid overall. WhoScored gave him a 7.4, and he probably would've had another MotM if Tanque hadn't scored twice. 

This is the last game before the transfer window, and that first half was exactly what he needed for that to be a real possibility... let's wait and see.

Was thinking about his transfer chances and standing at Cruz Azul, so I read the article @Nate3322 shared back in November and towards the end he says he would be open to returning to Mexico and says he has a good relationship with Mexican internationals Elias Hernandez and Orbelin Pineda (who was a thorn in the side of TFC during the 2018 Champions league final). 

I prefer a move to Sporting or Porto, but I just found that to be interesting, especially considering that he is supposedly deemed surplus to requirements at Cruz Azul.