Stephen Eustaquio

5 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I remember watching Vitória de Guimarães play Arsenal last season in the Europa League and they looked dam good, skill, athleticism, everything, but I'm guessing they are one of the better ones. 

7th overall, 7 points above 8th place Moreirense

Edited by Ansem

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

"low budget with small fan bases" doesn't necessarily mean less talented.

Sure, Vitoria wouldn't start for TFC, but they are one of the strongest teams in the league. If you told me Vitoria wouldn't start for any MLS team, then I would not believe you. In fact, he was a starter for most of his loan to Philadelphia from Benfica. When he was out of the team it was due to injury and not form. Actually, I think his one goal in MLS was against TFC at BMO, if memory serves me correct.

I haven't watched Portugal enough to weigh in on it confidently, but I would guess the top 3/4 teams would top MLS. The middle teams would all finish in the upper half and the bottom teams would finish in the middle or bottom of MLS.

I agree with this. I think the big seller for playing for a mid/bottom table Liga NOS team as compared to an MLS team would be the exposure of playing in Europe itself.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

I take the value of MLS teams with a grain of salt. Until the core a team's players resembles the quality of the 800k-1.5M player, then sure, but for now, no. Eustaquio is still better off in Portugal, and it puts him within knocking distance of the door step of a better team within the Portuguese league (preferably one that plays Europa League or UCL), or another European league. Until MLS finds a way to allow teams to spend more on players, while still maintaining to sort of league parity, then it will continue to hold itself back. (the big teams in the league clearly are ready and willing to spend more, but then you have the Vancouver Whitecaps of the league who are more than content with things as they are)

Edited by LeoH037

Obviously the top three teams (Porto, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon) are above MLS level. I assume Braga is generally a step above. 

OTOH, two guys who were starters on lower LigaNOS teams came to North American leagues and didn't catch on. So there's that. 

I just wouldn't get super excited about starting at a lower level team in Portugal. More of a wait and see. 

4 hours ago, One American said:

Obviously the top three teams (Porto, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon) are above MLS level. I assume Braga is generally a step above. 

OTOH, two guys who were starters on lower LigaNOS teams came to North American leagues and didn't catch on. So there's that. 

I just wouldn't get super excited about starting at a lower level team in Portugal. More of a wait and see. 

In general I would agree, but if a player is relatively young and starting and playing well and was at least partly responsible for his teams turn around, that is reason for excitement. Plus as mentioned Portugal is a better springboard, so there should naturally be more excitement for his future than if he was 23 and doing all those things in MLS.

9 hours ago, One American said:

Also to be taken with a grain of salt.  Piette never really made it big in Europe.  He was playing for 3rd and 4th division Spanish sides before moving to Montreal and sparking a solid MLS career.  Pacos & Boavista are higher quality clubs than Izarra & Racing de Ferrol.

1st Best team in Portugal  -

2nd

3rd

4th                                              -  Best Team in MLS

Worst Team in Portugal -       - Worst team in MLS

My take...much more parity in MLS. The best teams in Portugal are much better than the best teams in MLS. The worst teams are pretty even.

41 minutes ago, johnyb said:

2nd

3rd

My take...much more parity in MLS. The best teams in Portugal are much better than the best teams in MLS. The worst teams are pretty even.

Parity? You must not be a Whitecaps fan

Its basically the same good teams every year plus whoever just built a new stadium but theyll go back to sucking after 2 years

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

2nd

3rd

Also remember there are only 18 teams in Portugal and thats not changing. What is the MLS at now? 28 or soon to be. So 3 teams means 18% ish of the teams are really good. You could start to make the argument that the next 6 teams are as good or better than the best MLS team. So 9 teams means 50% of the teams are as good or better than the best MLS team. And then you've got 27 more MLS teams to talk about 

In other words.. Major League Ponzi scheme doesn't do anyone favors 

Fixed it

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Also remember there are only 18 teams in Portugal and thats not changing. What is the MLS at now? 28 or soon to be. So 3 teams means 18% ish of the teams are really good. You could start to make the argument that the next 6 teams are as good or better than the best MLS team. So 9 teams means 50% of the teams are as good or better than the best MLS team. And then you've got 27 more MLS teams to talk about 

In other words.. Major League Ponzie scheme doesn't do anyone favors 

Did anyone else read that as Major League "Phonzie" scheme, or was it just me?

17 hours ago, One American said:

As I said before, the attractiveness of playing on a mid/bottom table team in Portugal is the exposure of playing in Europe itself. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

7 hours ago, johnyb said:

2nd

3rd

In games here and there...sure, MLS teams can get results.

In a European schedule juggling domestic cups, league cups/games and potentially European qualifiers, no way - MLS just don't have the depth for that kind of campaign taking into account injuries just to name that.

What you're talking is more accurate if we are discussing Liga MX. 

MLS is simply not there yet 

I was never really comparing leagues. Only saying that starting in the LIgaNOS isn't historically the the certifier of high quality that some people think. Eustaquio might not beat out  Piette (who has been hainging around #100 on WhoScored most of the season, FWTW). He might be a lot better than Piette. I just don't think "playing in Europe" in this cases is necessarily a sign of a clear bump up in quality that some seem to think. . 

28 minutes ago, One American said:

I was never really comparing leagues. Only saying that starting in the LIgaNOS isn't historically the the certifier of high quality that some people think. Eustaquio might not beat out  Piette (who has been hainging around #100 on WhoScored most of the season, FWTW). He might be a lot better than Piette. I just don't think "playing in Europe" in this cases is necessarily a sign of a clear bump up in quality that some seem to think. . 

Well I guess you really never watched Stephen play while at Pacos. He’s a pretty impressive ball winner AND ball mover, truly bosses the midfield. He’s a big reason why Pacos started climbing the table, and that’s including the games against the big 4 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

1 hour ago, One American said:

Yeah yeah... And IF Cannon excels in the league we'll start hearing from US fans how strong the league is. I know the script 

8 hours ago, One American said:

I think people are rating Eustaquio based on how he plays not where he plays. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think people are rating Eustaquio based on how he plays not where he plays. 

But for a typical fan - Josh Sargent is the next big thing..

"Why?" I ask

-Because he starts in Bundesliga

"How is he doing there?"

-He plays in Bundesliga

"Didn't his club almost get relegated?"

- Merica #1

😁