Stephen Eustaquio

On 10/9/2019 at 11:38 PM, nolando said:

So....he's genuinely only kind of Canadian then, eh? I honestly had no idea. Sort of somewhere between Issey Canadian and Pacheco Canadian? 

Since he was born here and grew up here in his younger years, with his older brother doing the same and playing for Canada (at a youth level), seems like he is more of a JDG2 that chose the good guys

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone have any intel on Eustaquio?  Cruz Azul play tomorrow but i have no idea if he is anywhere near the first etam - in terms of fitness or even winning a spot. 

His team just had a huge 5-2 win against Club America in the Azteca.  They are now just 2 points out of the Liguilla (playoffs) with 5 games to go.  Lots of pressure on Cruz Azul who made big off season moves and were supposed to challenge for the championship.

Not the easiest time to try to break into a lineup while coming off a long term injury.  I would not be surprised if doesn't get a real chance to play until the clausura season begins in January.

Much like it is difficult for Canada to try and quickly incorporate him back into the team.  Cruz Azul is likely in the same position.  Pineda is unlikely to lose his spot as is Roberto Alvarado who's been great (scored against Panama this week too).  Both are more wide and attacking midfielders.

His two real like for like replacements would be Yotun & Baca.  They frequently play with two defensive mids so he could possibly slide in for Baca.  But Yotun, Alvarado & Pineda have played every game this year so tough to take them out of the lineup for final few games of the season during a Liguilla push.

That injury was really unfortunate, not just because of the time off, but because of the difficulty of re establishing himself in the lineup. 

if he never got injured, he couldve cemented himself as the starter and given his age who knows if bigger clubs may have been snooping around. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Not good if it is a permanent transfer.  After getting healthy, I was hoping he would crack the starting 11, with some sub minutes soon as a solid starting point.  A short term loan might mean they just want him to get minutes for a while, but a move out would suggest he isn't showing enough to be in their plans going forward. 

The coach getting fired was a big one. With him being Portuguese, he might've been more willing to play him.

With his health situation. I have no idea what he should do. Sure he can go on loan to regain match fitness and try to win his spot back, but it sounds like Cruz will be bringing in more signings which means more competition.

Perhaps leaving should just be the option here. I'm sure MLS teams will be willing. But Portuguese teams might be willing to sign him too. He had a good reputation.

13 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Mid to low tier first division Portuguese team should be his goal. He's young enough to rebuild his career and start over. 

I always wondered why the move to Mexico vs a mid tier Portuguese team, does anyone have insight into his original Mexico move?

The coach was Portuguese and I'm sure Cruz Azul offered more money. Unless you play for the top 3-4 teams in Portugal, you're not making any money.

The coach was recently fired, which sucks cause I'm sure he would've been willing to play him

5 minutes ago, Reign said:

I feel like this must be a loan move. Cruz paid $4M for him according to transfermarkt. Giving up on him and that money that soon would seem odd to me. 

Unless there is some kind of long term injury problem it seems odd for sure. He has barely had the chance to show them anything. Looked like a great move. Maybe a VCWC move in the offing on loan. 

He must be disappointed. Things looked on the up. 

I suspect a loan due to what Cruz Azul paid for him. If another club is negotiating to buy him we probably would have heard rumors by now. 

Last I checked Cruz Azul were looking unlikely to make the playoffs. Without looking it up, I am going to assume they failed to make it. They never had a good season and if they are not making the playoffs it is natural for them to look ahead to next season and begin drawing up plans for players.

If you are Cruz Azul, coming off a poor season, you are likely eyeing the transfer market for upgrades and not making any bets that Eustaquio is going to be the difference-maker the club needs (with all due respect to him).

Eustaquio needs actual game time and needs to impress to convince the club he is the answer to their problems. Moreover, if you are going to upgrade someone needs to move out, right? Hence Eustaquio (possibly) going out on loan.....

That's what I hope is the case anyway. It would be very disappointing if his contract is to be terminated, but that remains a possibility, I guess.

Edited by Obinna

43 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I think it is that article which is weird. They say that Barcelona and Man City were impressed with his play at Chaves during his 9 appearance? I am high on Eustaquio, but that seems pretty hard to believe.

With Kaye, Piette and Atiba all fit and ready to play in a defensive mid, Eustaquio isn’t getting into that game unless it is as a sub. He isn’t playing first team football at the moment, is just coming back from a major injury, and is now the subject of loan rumours.  Reputation aside, there is no reason to think he jumps ahead of two of the guys I identified to break into our midfield next month.