CPL Season Schedule

Thought there was no point engaging with BBTB according to you? There are a lot of stadium announcements needed to make that happen on that timeline, just as there were when David Clanachan said something similar back in early January with a similar duration implied and this CSB thing could be viewed as a useful way to reset the clock with a different person making the announcement and fielding the media questions. Six means two of those (if and it's still a big if Ottawa and Edmonton can be factored in and can start with what's already in place in stadium terms) and Halifax could be one. That's not too difficult to envisage. Eight to ten means everything falling neatly into place at just the same time in a lot of cities.  That's a lot more challenging to achieve and if it's that close to happening why would unveiling the remainder of the inaugral franchises not be the only announcement they need to make?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Thought there was no point engaging with BBTB according to you? There are a lot of stadium announcements needed to make that happen on that timeline, just as there were when David Clanachan said something similar back in early January with a similar duration implied and this CSB thing could be viewed as a useful way to reset the clock with a different person making the announcement and fielding the media questions. Six means two of those (if and it's still a big if Ottawa and Edmonton can be factored in and can start with what's already in place in stadium terms) and Halifax could be one. That's not too difficult to envisage. Eight to ten means everything falling neatly into place at just the same time in a lot of cities.  That's a lot more challenging to achieve and if it's that close to happening why would unveiling the remainder of the inaugral franchises not be the only announcement they need to make?

Sometimes it's just too sweet to resist.

12 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

No, but I agree with some of his thoughts on the matter. 

Gotta admire someone with his tenacity though to bring a different more grounded perspective to the colletive fanboyism in this forum.

I wouldn't say its grounded. Its the direct opposite of fanboyism.

If you were hesitant but supportive I could agree. I think some people could possibly be having high expectations of what the league will start as, but I also think that some people, such as yourself based on your previous comment, have too low of expectations as to what it will be.

At the end of the day it will probably fall somewhere in between, I just don't see the point of coming onto the Voyageurs forum and trolling

2 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I wouldn't say its grounded. Its the direct opposite of fanboyism.

If you were hesitant but supportive I could agree. I think some people could possibly be having high expectations of what the league will start as, but I also think that some people, such as yourself based on your previous comment, have too low of expectations as to what it will be.

At the end of the day it will probably fall somewhere in between, I just don't see the point of coming onto the Voyageurs forum and trolling

Why is it that anytime someone has a differing opinion to the masses it's considered trolling? 

Are we to be sheep and just agree (bah) at everything thrown at us?  Please a little measure dissent is a good thing.

28 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

Why is it that anytime someone has a differing opinion to the masses it's considered trolling? 

Are we to be sheep and just agree (bah) at everything thrown at us?  Please a little measure dissent is a good thing.

You're arguing that there is too much of a collective fanyboyism on a Canadian soccer FAN forum...

28 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

You call what he does 'measured dissent'? Talk about fanboyism.

2 hours ago, longlugan said:

Fair enough...I thought you were referring to BBTB...my apologies.

An understandable assumption, as "measure dissent" does not include antagonistic terms like "fanboyism", "sheep", and "bah".

Incidentally, I had made the same assumption as you.

19 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

An understandable assumption, as "measure dissent" does not include antagonistic terms like "fanboyism", "sheep", and "bah".

When I used the term fanboyism it relates to this forums collective mindset of cheering all CPL related announcements without question or doubt even when presented with different perspective based on facts or past historical evidence that was is currently being presented may in fact be a turd adorned with a flashy ribbon.

Sheep is self explanatory which indicates a submissive agreement mostly represented with a simple 'yes master' which itself is represented with the ruminants characteristic bah sound.

Now, though they may appear antagonistic  I only use them to emphasize my point.  

I welcome a lively debate on all issues and hope to learn something from all of this and who knows in the best of scenarios forge new alliances for the betterment of this forum.

5 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

When I used the term fanboyism it relates to this forums collective mindset of cheering all CPL related announcements without question or doubt even when presented with different perspective based on facts or past historical evidence that was is currently being presented may in fact be a turd adorned with a flashy ribbon.

Sheep is self explanatory which indicates a submissive agreement mostly represented with a simple 'yes master' which itself is represented with the ruminants characteristic bah sound.

Now, though they may appear antagonistic  I only use them to emphasize my point.  

I welcome a lively debate on all issues and hope to learn something from all of this and who knows in the best of scenarios forge new alliances for the betterment of this forum.

When I insult you its ok, I'm just emphasizing my point.  And you wonder why people think you are a troll.

Plenty of us sheep on the forum are skeptical and questioning of a lot of the CPL news.  Most of us dont feel the need to shit on the whole board in order to take an opposing viewpoint.   But if thats the kind of lively debate you enjoy..go ahead.  

• 1 month later...

So based on the widely expected 8 team launch and the info from the York 9 website here’s what I see as a first year schedule. 

4 games versus each team, 2 home + 2 away for 28 regular season games.

14 regular season home games.

1 “special game” plus at least 1 V cup game for two additional home games.

April 20 to November 2 is 29 weeks however there is 3 FIFA windows next summer so that means only 26 weekends available. That means every team plays 26 weekend regular season games, presumably 13 home and 13 away.

So each team would play 2 midweek regular season games, 1 home and 1 away. 

The special game would also probably be midweek.

For the V cup it makes sense to have a 12 team single elimination tournament, I just don’t see how they fit in home and away games at each round. The 12 teams would be 8 CPL, 3 MLS and winner of League1 vs PLSQ game. They would have to award 4 byes which would mean a 4 round tournament. These games would also be midweek. 

@dsqpr thoughts?

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So based on the widely expected 8 team launch and the info from the York 9 website here’s what I see as a first year schedule. 

April 20 to November 2 is 29 weeks however there is 3 FIFA windows next summer so that means only 26 weekends available. That means every team plays 26 weekend regular season games, presumably 13 home and 13 away.

For the V cup it makes sense to have a 12 team single elimination tournament, I just don’t see how they fit in home and away games at each round. The 12 teams would be 8 CPL, 3 MLS and winner of League1 vs PLSQ game. They would have to award 4 byes which would mean a 4 round tournament. These games would also be midweek. 

@dsqpr thoughts?

Special games could potentially be played on weekends during international breaks

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

True but Bierne has said they’re going to respect FIFA dates.

Well for friendlies the clubs don't necessarily need their international players.

If that isn't the case, I would imagine since those games are primarily for revenue and exposure I assume they would probably have them on the weekend and bump league match days to the midweek regardless.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

@dsqpr thoughts?

If it will be a balanced schedule and each team will play another 4 times for 28 rounds of matches, why not just do a  14 round Apetura and 14 round Clausura? Seems far more exciting and interesting and will differentiate the league further from other North American sports by having 2 champions in a season.

1 hour ago, Metroimpact said:

If it will be a balanced schedule and each team will play another 4 times for 28 rounds of matches, why not just do a  14 round Apetura and 14 round Clausura? Seems far more exciting and interesting and will differentiate the league further from other North American sports by having 2 champions in a season.

Why would they?

12 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I never understood the Apetura and Clausura thing either.  It’s not a tradition in Canada.

28 games, 14 home and away playing each team 4 times works.  

Plus V cup games (and CCL games potentially) and 1 special friendly.

Thats a good and full schedule.

There are about ~28 weekends between mid-april and mid-october. So you are at limit right away without taking into account V cup and Fifa breaks.

I'm guessing V cup games will be played mid-week but with fifa breaks you are probably looking at ~26 playable weekends.

CPL should really avoid mid-week games itself as much as possible imo. They will be an attendance killer.

Archived