CPL Season Schedule

25 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It’s possible they could have an unbalanced schedule and one table with 1st place being crowned champions.

I don't think so because then the Champions would not have credibility - unless of course their points and results were unequivocal.

What if one division was close and the other had one or two weak teams?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

In the absence of any formal announcements we are just spitballing. What would your suggestion be for a ten team league, if we assume that a minimum of 26 league matches are needed to generate sufficient revenue? (An arbitrary assumption I know, but those are the rules for this particular game. :)) A full double interlocking schedule would give 36 league matches which, given the need for Cup match dates too, is almost certainly too many.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It’s possible they could have an unbalanced schedule and one table with 1st place being crowned champions.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I don't think so because then the Champions would not have credibility - unless of course their points and results were unequivocal.

It would just be a triple round-robin presumably; each club plays each other club once home and away plus an extra match against each which could be either home or away. It would be a 27-game schedule and they would play each other club an equal number of times. It's not perfect but it would still be balanced and schedules like that have been done plenty of times in other soccer leagues.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

It would just be a triple round-robin presumably; each club plays each other club once home and away plus an extra match against each which could be either home or away. It would be a 27-game schedule and they would play each other club an equal number of times. It's not perfect but it would still be balanced and schedules like that have been done plenty of times in other soccer leagues.

With that suggestion, teams don't even have the same number of home matches! It is not an option that I would consider. I like the schedule described above by @BuzzAndSting (2 divisions of 5 teams, double interlocking in-division, single interlocking outside-division).

If you want to crown a champion on points, and I do, everybody has to play the same schedule. But if you have play-offs, it is imperative that only divisional champions qualify. So no MLS style consolation places so-that-only-the-post-season-matters! Ugh.

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

With that suggestion, teams don't even have the same number of home matches! It is not an option that I would consider. I like the schedule described above by @BuzzAndSting (2 divisions of 5 teams, double interlocking in-division, single interlocking outside-division).

If you want to crown a champion on points, and I do, everybody has to play the same schedule. But if you have play-offs, it is imperative that only divisional champions qualify. So no MLS style consolation places so-that-only-the-post-season-matters! Ugh.

You have a lot of rules. Needs to be at least 26 games, can’t be as much as 36, triple round robin is bad, but playing half the teams 4 times and the other half 2 times is OK, playoffs and unbalanced schedules are both bad but if you put them together but only with division champs playing the playoff it’s OK. Seems like a lot of lines drawn in the sand.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Given the emphasis seems to have shifted back to six being the minimum number of clubs again, 30 games (3 home and 3 away) against the other 5 teams would appear to be the probable starting point to achieve balance needed for prestige to be given to the title of regular season champion.

Of course I hope they start with more than 6 teams, but if this does happen it has the added benefit of being the same number of games they are likely aspiring towards long term. They have said 16 teams is their max at the top level, so a home and away schedule at that size would also be 30 games.

^ 6 teams and 30 games, I agree of an even schedule, 3 home and 3 away. Do you think they would do it as a series... Let's say Ottawa plays @ Edmonton, Ottawa would play all 3 away games in Edmonton in one week... (Sat, Wed, Sun) kind of like baseball. That would help with travel costs and you would have 10 series throughout the year. Or is that boring / redundant?

I think you need to get to 8 teams at least

23 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

^ 6 teams and 30 games, I agree of an even schedule, 3 home and 3 away. Do you think they would do it as a series... Let's say Ottawa plays @ Edmonton, Ottawa would play all 3 away games in Edmonton in one week... (Sat, Wed, Sun) kind of like baseball. That would help with travel costs and you would have 10 series throughout the year. Or is that boring / redundant?

No way they play all 3 games against one team in one week, looks totally amateurish.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Given the emphasis seems to have shifted back to six being the minimum number of clubs again, 30 games (3 home and 3 away) against the other 5 teams would appear to be the probable starting point to achieve balance needed for prestige to be given to the title of regular season champion.

I still think you go with 2 home and 2 away even with just six teams. Would be a shorter season at first until you get some more teams but playing the same opponent six times in the same season is excessive...and kinda boring. It's why I think having divisions is a bad idea.

Just stick with a single table and start with 2 home/2 away games per opponent then drop to  1 home/1 away when you hit double digit teams.

Considering the weather window we have hear in Canada I think you can only really have a 24 or 26 game season. Which would make 13 or 14 teams the ideal number. 

1 hour ago, michaeltfc91 said:

...I think you need to get to 8 teams at least

If they want 8000 to 10000 seats with expandability and only soccer lines visible during games even getting to six is very challenging to achieve in terms of finding suitable stadiums as we can see from what is unfolding at the moment. Agree with the comments that six games per opponent is less than ideal but the difference between having 10 and 15 home games makes a huge difference on the break-even levels needed to sustain 20+ full-time contracts.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

You have a lot of rules. Needs to be at least 26 games, can’t be as much as 36, triple round robin is bad, but playing half the teams 4 times and the other half 2 times is OK, playoffs and unbalanced schedules are both bad but if you put them together but only with division champs playing the playoff it’s OK. Seems like a lot of lines drawn in the sand.

Not nearly so many lines in the sand as you imply!

Do you think a 100 game season would work? How about a 6 game season? If your answer to both is "no" then you are drawing lines in the sand too! But those are not your lines or mine, they exist for practical reasons. The only debate is where to draw them.

I never said triple round robin is bad. I did say that having teams play a different number of home matches is bad. And I have never seen that anywhere. Ever. So hardly my line!

To say that something is OK is not a line in the sand!

I did not say that unbalanced schedules are bad. In fact, the format you have "accused" me of saying is OK is an unbalanced schedule!

I do draw a line in the sand with consolation play-off places though. So that is one line in the sand then!!

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If they want 8000 to 10000 seats with expandability and only soccer lines visible during games even getting to six is very challenging to achieve in terms of finding suitable stadiums as we can see from what is unfolding at the moment. Agree with the comments that six games per opponent is less than ideal but the difference between having 10 and 15 home games makes a huge difference on the break-even levels needed to sustain 20+ full-time contracts.

It probably wouldn't be as big a problem if they weren't shooting for the rumored player salaries in a league trying to get on it's feet to begin with...

Player minimums should be like $25K in this league starting out..maybe even a bit less.

6 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Yes, 8 teams is where I draw my line in the sand too. ;)

Double interlocking schedule, 28 matches per team. Works well.

42 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It probably wouldn't be as big a problem if they weren't shooting for the rumored player salaries in a league trying to get on it's feet to begin with...

Player minimums should be like $25K in this league starting out..maybe even a bit less.

Honestly, I think having more home matches is about more than just revenue, although revenue is critical. It is also about visibility and attention.

So please draw a line in the sand for me on increased visibility. :)

8 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

Less than minimum wage, nice might as well work in a call center.

Might not do much to improve your football though. Not many scouts at the call centres!

19 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

Less than minimum wage, nice might as well work in a call center.

A 20 yr Canadian would choose to work in a call center over making $25K for playing soccer for 6 months?...sure.

Anyway as starting point for for salary minimum I think its pretty reasonable. Isnt the CFL at around $55K? A league thats been around forever and has a shit tonne more revenue than this will starting out.

You know what the avg salary in NBL Canada is? A little over $14K.

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

A 20 yr Canadian would choose to work in a call center over making $25K for playing soccer for 6 months?...sure.

Anyway as starting point for for salary minimum I think its pretty reasonable. Isnt the CFL at around $55K? A league thats been around forever and has a shit tonne more revenue than this will starting out.

You know what the avg salary in NBL Canada is? A little over $14K.

So we agree that this CPL will be anything but Premier.  Let's also agree that the talent will be extremely watered down so I doubt there be much scouting involved.  At best some players will move on to some USL teams. 

I know a couple of 18 to 20 year old kids (Canadian) who left for Europe to try out for some 2nd or 3rd division teams sure you may say salary is not that great, but it does put you right under the market of some pretty big leagues.  Here not so much.

CPL will be a semi professional league, but heck the NBL is doing and we all know how great they are.  LMAO

49 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

Yeah as if scouts will be looking at part-time professional players.  Tell me how that worked out for the old CSL.

Paul Peschisolido played in the old CSL. I'm pretty sure there were a number of others who also went on to successful pro careers but I can't bring them to mind right now.

27 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

CPL will be a semi professional league, but heck the NBL is doing and we all know how great they are.  LMAO

Even if it were to start out that way, I would be fine with that. At least it would be a start. And from little acorns, mighty oaks doth grow!

14 hours ago, MrSabiondo said:

So we agree that this CPL will be anything but Premier.  Let's also agree that the talent will be extremely watered down so I doubt there be much scouting involved.  At best some players will move on to some USL teams. 

I know a couple of 18 to 20 year old kids (Canadian) who left for Europe to try out for some 2nd or 3rd division teams sure you may say salary is not that great, but it does put you right under the market of some pretty big leagues.  Here not so much.

BBTB?

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Get away from this forum and start actually speaking to people in the mainstream soccer community and you'll find views like that are a lot more mainstream than you realize amongst the older generation that remember the previous fiascos on pro leagues.

With this mornings announcement I think it's safe to say that the comparisons to previous leagues are even less relevant than ever before. No Canadian league has ever had the kind of business opportunity that potential CPL owners have be presented with CSB.

“(This property) offers three things: Local, national and international,” Lang told Postmedia. “No other property gives you that. You can’t get that in hockey.

“I’ve never seen a package like this in my life – one that has all those pieces.”

BTW Chris Lang's bio can be found here.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:40 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

:huh:

"Having already confirmed Hamilton and Winnipeg as the CPL’s flagship teams, the CPL will reveal six to eight additional inaugural clubs within the next two months."

Archived