Jump to content
mpg_29

CPL Season Schedule

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, but it makes little sense to have HFX saying they won't counter program a single youth match in all of Nova Scotia all season to ensure fans can go to their games, and they you butt right up against TFC in a partially overlapping market.

So you can take it both ways, but it is not a question of standing up to anyone: they have Championship and League One and Two matches in England at the time English teams are playing Champions League, and that is not smart don't think for anyone caring about a fan base, as a general rule I think it is counter-productive.

There is a difference between the NS situation (not competing against scheduled youth games so that all amateur players are able to attend Wanderers games if they want) and the ON situation (choosing to play reasonably close to TFC which makes some fans make a choice re which one to attend). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is a difference between the NS situation (not competing against scheduled youth games so that all amateur players are able to attend Wanderers games if they want) and the ON situation (choosing to play reasonably close to TFC which makes some fans make a choice re which one to attend). 

I agree, but there is a still a core principle: make it easy for any fan to attend, we are starting a new adventure and we need all the help we can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, masster said:

I am ready to start looking into flights to Hamilton so I can attend a historical match. But in order to so, I need to know when Pacific's first game is so I don't miss that one. Please don't be on the same day!

PFC's home opener is the next day, Sunday the 28th, not sure of KO time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

little bummed the game is york vs forge. a small part of me wanted hfx to be involved in game 1. i don't live in halifax i just think they'd have had the best party

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ted said:

PFC's home opener is the next day, Sunday the 28th, not sure of KO time.

Ted...use your influence and make sure it is late afternoon or evening. I want to make this three time zone, 2 games in 2 days happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFC home game against Portland and York 9 in Hamilton the same day?  

I wonder who how the reporters will divide themselves up for these games?  

Do you think John Molinaro who apparently wrote a story about this conference today will NOT be in the press box at BMO Field?  or Neil Davidson from CP?   The Toronto Star reporters have never mentioned the CPL (rare times they've printed wire stories).  Would MLSE apply some muscle to make them show up at BMO?    

Where was today's press conference held anyway?  (I mean where in Toronto?).  I am not in the loop and didn't know where this was so I didn't feel obliged to skipping my volunteer work at Sunnybrook (the veteran's wing where I push 90+ year old WWII vets to their therapy appointments or today to the special eye clinic).  I fought my way through the snow and found I was the only one who showed up.  

I only found out about the CPL combine last Thursday from you folks on the Voyageurs board.  And thanks for that.  Oh well 2600 views so far.  Yes I will fill in those two missing goals I wasn't sure of in my report (thanks to Anthony  Totera's reply).  

I should be going to tomorrow night's York 9 FC meet and greet at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge but I wonder if I can get audible interviews with players if there's earsplitting music in the foreground. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping for a full schedule announcement today, as I am itching to plan my holidays and book an away match.  

But no complaints here.  CPL are trying to maximize PR and overall I think they have done a fantastic job of it.  There's going to be plenty of media releases in the coming weeks/months.  Some will be more exciting than others.

Nobody is rushing to buy tickets based on the VW announcement, but I expect that deal is worth significant dollars.  Would love to know the details.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So let me get this right: they flew out Haber for a Forge-York9 announcement. 

A bit over the top I'd say. 

Well they'll realise the distance when they have to get on a flight to Victoria. Or maybe the CPL front office don't do such frivolous things.

My hunch is that someone from outside of Ontario told them the optics were bad regarding the local emphasis and the missed opportunity for national exposure. It screams afterthought, though and I'm hoping for better from this league, for more obvious forethought, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Keegan said:

....They may want people to skip TFC for this .. really any true football fan is going to a derby 99/100 times - that is a very powerful weapon for the future....

This is what one of their main cheerleaders over the years is tweeting about it:

 

There will be a lot of overlap between the TFC fanbase and that of the Forge and York 9. Forcing people to choose is going to antagonize a lot of the most hardcore soccer people more than anything else.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This is what one of their main cheerleaders over the years is tweeting about it:

 

There will be a lot of overlap between the TFC fanbase and that of the Forge and York 9. Forcing people to choose is going to antagonize a lot of the most hardcore soccer people more than anything else.

 

There will always be overlap.  And they have to worry about overlap with more than one sport, as well as other events.  If someone is tied into knots over missing TFC, then go watch the American league.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

That is possible.  Last minute snag.

 

This is a picture they could have done at another time, and in a way that makes sense: not 3 York9s, two Forge, one each of the rest: that has no meaning in communication terms, inept as I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has occured to me they are holding out on schedule as they have some stadium set-ups that may come down to the wire, like Halifax, York and Pacific. They might also be worried about weather for some teams. 

But it seems they could have done a bit more, that was lazy on their part: 

-a Valour home opener that weekend, as the stadium is ready. 

-Give Edmonton the bye that weekend or ensure they don't play at home as usually it would be the highest risk of a late cold snap or snow. 

As I have said before, I am personally not obsessed about this and am used to seeing firm dates confirmed late (in Spain), and normally most fans are not buying plane tix, just folks here, so holding off on scheduling is not a big concern, as yet. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

 

This is a picture they could have done at another time, and in a way that makes sense: not 3 York9s, two Forge, one each of the rest: that has no meaning in communication terms, inept as I see it. 

They probably wanted all the teams rep'd because of VW becoming a league sponsor.  It's a very significant sponsor.   Odd it would be 3 and 2.........but we are probably reading too much into it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It has occured to me they are holding out on schedule as they have some stadium set-ups that may come down to the wire, like Halifax, York and Pacific. They might also be worried about weather for some teams. 

But it seems they could have done a bit more, that was lazy on their part: 

-a Valour home opener that weekend, as the stadium is ready. 

-Give Edmonton the bye that weekend or ensure they don't play at home as usually it would be the highest risk of a late cold snap or snow. 

As I have said before, I am personally not obsessed about this and am used to seeing firm dates confirmed late (in Spain), and normally most fans are not buying plane tix, just folks here, so holding off on scheduling is not a big concern, as yet. 

 

 

I'm ok with us missing opening weekend for a home match.  Our weather has a huge impact on attendance and the later we get into spring/summer, the better.

Currently -52 here with the windchill.  

 

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I have said before, I am personally not obsessed about this and am used to seeing firm dates confirmed late (in Spain), and normally most fans are not buying plane tix, just folks here, so holding off on scheduling is not a big concern, as yet

True. I will say this though. Although I'm unlikely to be able to spend the necessary time away from my wife and kids to be a season ticket holder, if all the games were at 8pm it could at least be considered. If all games are in the afternoon then it's clearly a "no" from me. I don't know how many people need to know when the games will be in order to be able to commit to tickets, but there could be some.

Should be any time now. Maybe 7 to 10 days is the new 60 to 90 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kent said:

True. I will say this though. Although I'm unlikely to be able to spend the necessary time away from my wife and kids to be a season ticket holder, if all the games were at 8pm it could at least be considered. If all games are in the afternoon then it's clearly a "no" from me. I don't know how many people need to know when the games will be in order to be able to commit to tickets, but there could be some.

Should be any time now. Maybe 7 to 10 days is the new 60 to 90 days.

I wonder about the pros and cons of an early afternoon vs evening kick off.  In early afternoon, you miss much of the day with the family (unless you all go) but in the evening you are effectively missing bed time and getting your wife to do that routine.  At my house, assuming young kids, I am not sure which would be the preferred option.

In comparison, a childless 20 something may prefer an afternoon kickoff as it still leaves them with their Saturday night free.  I can imagine 20 year old me preferring that sort of scenario as opposed to making a choice re whether to go to the game or a party. 

Just musing out loud as I don't really know which scenario would work better for the demographic they see as their main target audience.

Edited by dyslexic nam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wonder about the pros and cons of an early afternoon vs evening kick off.  In early afternoon, you miss much of the day with the family (unless you all go) but in the evening you are effectively missing bed time and getting your wife to do that routine.  At my house, assuming young kids, I am not sure which would be the preferred option.

In comparison, a childless 20 something may prefer an afternoon kickoff as it still leaves them with their Saturday night free.  I can imagine 20 year old me preferring that sort of scenario as opposed to making a choice re whether to go to the game or a party. 

Just musing out loud as I don't really know which scenario would work better for the demographic they see as their main target audience.

I definitely echo your concern about kick-off times. I have a toddler and baby #2 should be arriving by Feb 1st the latest, so it's a consideration.

I brought my first son out to a few of the Highlanders matches, but found that he wouldn't/couldn't stay still long enough to really enjoy the match. As a result, I ended up sacrificing my afternoons with the family in order to catch those daytime matches and cheer with the Lake Side Buoys.

The evening matches similarly saw me shuttle bedtime duties to my wife for the night. This actually worked a lot better, as you aren't missing time with your child, and once the kid is down, my wife had a chance to relax and unwind. We ended up trading off for those evening matches, with her having a girl's night out in exchange for my soccer evenings. This seemed to be the best arrangement for us, so I highly recommend it for others with small children.

As a result, I tend to favour the evening matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It has occured to me they are holding out on schedule as they have some stadium set-ups that may come down to the wire, like Halifax, York and Pacific. 

 

How is Halifax's stadium set-up gonna come down to the wire? It's been built and ready for nearly a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rintaran said:

I definitely echo your concern about kick-off times. I have a toddler and baby #2 should be arriving by Feb 1st the latest, so it's a consideration.

I brought my first son out to a few of the Highlanders matches, but found that he wouldn't/couldn't stay still long enough to really enjoy the match. As a result, I ended up sacrificing my afternoons with the family in order to catch those daytime matches and cheer with the Lake Side Buoys.

 

I used to take my kid to countless lower tier game when he was small, but he was restless too: so I ended up just wandering the stands with him, or behind the goal, and really did not fully watch games. We walked, played, and I spied the game while doing so.

But for his mom having us out of the house and not having to think about him for 3 hours was preferable. Simply put, I went to tons of games when my kid was small (say under 6-7), but I usually had to sacrifice part of the way I enjoy them. 

I personally think that playing CPL during the day, and even at the time of the opener, at 1 pm, is the most kid friendly. I think proof of that is if you go to any major league with matches at that time (or any daytime up to maybe 4-5 pm start) say EPL or Spain, you'll find way more kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garmc said:

How is Halifax's stadium set-up gonna come down to the wire? It's been built and ready for nearly a year.

Halifax is ready to go? I thought they were going to upgrade things still. So sorry about that. Could we get pics then, to see the exact set-up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...