Ideas how to generate revenue

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Via rail  as a sponsor-  they could do promotions for supporter groups,  for example if you had 40- 50+ people from a supportive group you could rent out a car for X amount of dollars. Also have CPL logos on the trains like Canada 150. 

Via rail goes to pretty much every  potential CPL city  and if high speed rail comes soon ( wishful thinking haha ). It wouldn't long trips for supporters. 

VIA rail is great but it takes multiple calendar days going from one coast to the other. A sponsor like Westjet would be great for teams and amazing if they did fan deals. However I much prefer taking trains so a VIA rail sponsorship would be awesome. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

VIA rail is great but it takes multiple calendar days going from one coast to the other. A sponsor like Westjet would be great for teams and amazing if they did fan deals. However I much prefer taking trains so a VIA rail sponsorship would be awesome. 

I was thinking it would help more  regional areas. Like the Quebec City - Windsor Corredor. Halifax to Moncton or Fredericton. If they ever build it Edmonton to Calgary.  Regina to Winnipeg. 

West Jet , Porter , Air Canada any airline would be good too. 

The Quebec city - Windsor Corredor would be huge because you can connect multiple CPL cities together. Quebec City , Montreal , Ottawa, Kingston (  which I do think they can support a CPL team maybe a small one, remember they got Belleville, Trenton  and Ottawa close by that Kingston can draw from and they have what 3-4 major  University and colleges), Toronto,  niagara, London, Windsor. I bet I'm missing cities too haha. 

Gonna guess airline and hotel sponsors will be someone the CFL groups are friendly with. Also think TV wise we'll be looking at a Game of the Week on a TLN or something while it's just 6 teams.

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

....Startup leagues tend to have to pay to get their games broadcast rather than the money flowing in the opposite direction until corporate interest in purchasing time for commercials has been clearly demonstrated....

Not fully true. While common, not all startups pay. Some, and I suspect the CPL falls into this category due to who is involved so far, are given airtime free of charge but are required to produce their own broadcasts.

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

....Paid attendance and other game day revenue streams are what make or break leagues like this in the early years.

I suspect paid attendance will be big in the early years but think advertising will be a bit bigger if they are on TV. If either fails it could break the league but due to who is so far involved I don't think it will kill this thing.

13 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Nothing definite, honestly if there's no money in broadcasting then streaming is the way to go. Many canadian soccer fans are young and don't/can't afford cable.

There's way less money in streaming. Gotta be on TV at least partially.

20 hours ago, matty said:

Not fully true. While common, not all startups pay. Some, and I suspect the CPL falls into this category due to who is involved so far, are given airtime free of charge but are required to produce their own broadcasts.

Do you have any examples? We know MLS had to pay. It's not like there are a ton of pro leagues that have popped up in recent history that had TV coverage. XFL? That's literally the only other league that I can think of that fits the bill. I don't know much about NLL but I doubt it was on TV in year one back in 1987 with 4 teams.

46 minutes ago, Kent said:

Do you have any examples? We know MLS had to pay. It's not like there are a ton of pro leagues that have popped up in recent history that had TV coverage. XFL? That's literally the only other league that I can think of that fits the bill. I don't know much about NLL but I doubt it was on TV in year one back in 1987 with 4 teams.

From what I've been told money didn't change hands between USL and a number of their US TV partners (including ESPN3) but USL is covering the production and broadcast costs solely. The NBLC and beIN deal was also like this it seems as beIN needed CanCon.

There's also some indications the WNBA, World Poker Tour and KHL have done similar deals where they covered at least production costs (or something like it) to show on TV for at least a short period. (KHL likely partly owned their network I suspect BTW)

Interesting that you mentioned XFL, cause I'm 95% Impact and their US TV partner Pop have this sort of deal (without the live element of course).

• 2 weeks later...

With Peter Wilt's Model there are a few corporate sponsors I would hope are being sought out for clubs, and the league as a whole.

Winners already partners with the CSA and would be a phenomenal asset to distribute unsold merchandise after the season. Much like how we see the Whitecaps have their end of season sales.

Sport Check would be a great distribution hub for mech. I like the Via Rail idea but West Jet and New Leaf are two interesting options.

When looking at the television rights holders it would be great tot see a single Sunday Night Soccer primetime game to fill the void while the NFL is out of season and that game could feature on the major networks. And a feature game from a East and a West Home team on Saturday afternoons. Games would be played on Saturdays for league matches and Wednesday Nights for Cup matches. Regional Cup matches on the smaller networks. Deals with smaller cable networks like Eastlink and Shaw would allow for access to community networks in many markets and the content could be shared. You could beam Moncton and Halifax games to a whole lot of TV's across the country. Buy in for these networks would be cheaper than minor hockey. This would work to create content for those networks and sports always draws highly on community television.

Sobeys, Fortino's Longo's and other grocery stores. Healthy eating, healthy living, fueling peak performance yada yada yada. Do what Safeway does with the CFL. Get players engaged publicly the way Vancouver has since the 70's. Literally bring them to the markets. The air cadets have been doing it for years.  Have them guest on cooking shows in those communities sponsored by the grocery stores.    

Shopify to help set up the league and teams online stores.

Telus- Communications partner competes directly with Bell and Rogers who own TFC (both), sponsor (BELL) VWFC, and show all three major clubs games. It would work well with the small cable company model also.  If Bell and Rogers want in it's going to have to be for big bucks.

Leon's and The Brick because they are both huge and similar to the grocery stores. They would help to provide awesome in match prizes. Bad Boy in Toronto get a team in. 

BioSteele official sports drink of the Canadian Premier League...

Inaria would be a great kit maker especially since it is a Canadian business but would they be able to produce the volume? We saw what happened with DryWorld...

Each team partner up with a local brewery unless they are part of a larger stadium that has a deal currently with a beer company. They're should also be restaurant/pub in each small stadium build operated by the club with a viewing deck in the corner of the stadium much like the hard rock or windows at Skydome. It would provide an atmosphere before and after the match and could generate revenue for the clubs year round. Flames Central or Realsports are the examples that come to mind. Especially if we see pop up stadiums like the Britta Stadium in Germany used as a template because the corrugated steel corners are simply a poor use of negative space. Club offices could be housed in other corners if temp stadiums are built where permanent stadiums are planned. 

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Let it be known that as a 25 year old that played 12 years of organized soccer in Victoria, BC, I haven't played organized soccer in 7 years. But growing up playing in a soccer dominated city, there was a severe lack of pro teams scouting. I played against one or two absolute sure shot professionals. One being Adam Straith, who ended up leaving Oak Bay High (where I played against him) for the Whitecaps residency. I played a fairly high level, and am still shocked that only one player I played with went on to make a career out of soccer. 

I think the beauty of the CanPL will be that there will be much more opportunities for young players to be scouted and enter academies. I feel like a lot of gems fell through the cracks here in Canada. Let's face it, University soccer isn't much. Very little NCAA teams scout in Canada. 

My point: Getting a t-shirt with your local CPL team logo on it can go so far for a kid. Every team will know about your team. They instantly get a piece of clothing that they can rock at school, in public, and at a game. It may not be much the first few years, but when the the kids get close to their twenties they still feel inspired. I think we are reaching that point with the Canadian MLS teams. I think there is a lot of potential there for the CPL. 

On July 30, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Xavier said:

Let it be known that as a 25 year old that played 12 years of organized soccer in Victoria, BC, I haven't played organized soccer in 7 years. But growing up playing in a soccer dominated city, there was a severe lack of pro teams scouting. I played against one or two absolute sure shot professionals. One being Adam Straith, who ended up leaving Oak Bay High (where I played against him) for the Whitecaps residency. I played a fairly high level, and am still shocked that only one player I played with went on to make a career out of soccer. 

I think the beauty of the CanPL will be that there will be much more opportunities for young players to be scouted and enter academies. I feel like a lot of gems fell through the cracks here in Canada. Let's face it, University soccer isn't much. Very little NCAA teams scout in Canada. 

My point: Getting a t-shirt with your local CPL team logo on it can go so far for a kid. Every team will know about your team. They instantly get a piece of clothing that they can rock at school, in public, and at a game. It may not be much the first few years, but when the the kids get close to their twenties they still feel inspired. I think we are reaching that point with the Canadian MLS teams. I think there is a lot of potential there for the CPL. 

I agree with all that. One of my friends has just recently (2 months ago) moved to Sweden to play Semi-Pro in their 4 div. He has already gotten looks from Swedish div 1 teams. Yet playing in Edmonton he was to far down the depth chart for FC Edmonton to give him a chance. It isn't because of scouting but it also applies. 

He is a goal keeper and just recently turned 24. Most Keepers don't get a starting job until they are around 24-26 years old. The problem is there aren't enough places for our players to play at a high level. He was playing in the AMSL and working full time. Once the CPL comes into play that is another 18 spots on the first team for Keepers plus any spots (in the future) on the reserve or academies. Of course a bunch of those 18 spots will go to imports, but i am confident that the third keeper on every team will be Canadian. If the CPL was around I am sure he would have gotten a look as a third keeper to develop into a starter. If teams in Sweden are willing to give our players a shot, then our teams should be able to do the same. 

If he could get a modest salary and train full time he could develop that much more. Like he is doing now in Sweden.

Interesting news today that MLS has signed a $700m deal with Adidas for the MLS equipment rights through 2024. That's over $5 million per team each year for 6 seasons. Teams got around $1.5 million per year from the 2010 deal.

Huge cash increase for MLS. Starting next season MLS teams will be getting over $10 million a year from the national TV deal and Adidas sponsorship alone. Every team in the league will likely be profitable for the first time.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Starting next season MLS teams will be getting over $10 million a year from the national TV deal and Adidas sponsorship alone.

I think this deal comes into effect for the 2019 season, not next year. But yes, that's a good increase in funds for sure!

Money per team per year depending on the different possible number of teams in a given year (assuming the money is evenly divided among years, which it likely isn't).

23 teams - 5.07 million
24 teams - 4.86 million
25 teams - 4.67 million
26 teams - 4.49 million
27 teams - 4.32 million
28 teams - 4.17 million

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Interesting news today that MLS has signed a $700m deal with Adidas for the MLS equipment rights through 2024. That's over $5 million per team each year for 6 seasons. Teams got around $1.5 million per year from the 2010 deal.

Huge cash increase for MLS. Starting next season MLS teams will be getting over $10 million a year from the national TV deal and Adidas sponsorship alone. Every team in the league will likely be profitable for the first time.

It's known that at least some teams are already profitable(Kraft said when he bought his Overwatch team the revs had been profitable for years) so this has got to push every team towards profit. 

Archived