CPL General

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

And NASL declares war 

I can see the holes in this and I'm not even a lawyer. For example saying that the USSF divisional criteria would bar teams in Europe from holding their current divisional status; um guys, european leagues have similar rules with things like stadium size and club wealth(look up Eibar). Also the numbers aren't completely arbitrary, they're based on what is needed to financially run a club at what the USSF deems division 1 standards(e.i what other teams in this category have) 

*What the hell's going on with my posts*

21 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I can see the holes in this and I'm not even a lawyer. For example saying that the USSF divisional criteria would bar teams in Europe from holding their current divisional status; um guys, european leagues have similar rules with things like stadium size and club wealth(look up Eibar). Also the numbers aren't completely arbitrary, they're based on what is needed to financially run a club at what the USSF deems division 1 standards(e.i what other teams in this category have) 

I don't think anybody thinks they have a snowballs chance in hell at winning.

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't think anybody thinks they have a snowballs chance in hell at winning.

Nope and reading the actual case https://www.scribd.com/document/359361983/Anti-Trust it seems even more ridiculous. They seriously act as if USSF is making rules up that bar them from D1 and that they would be as good if not better than MLS had they not been there.

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Nope and reading the actual case https://www.scribd.com/document/359361983/Anti-Trust it seems even more ridiculous. They seriously act as if USSF is making rules up that bar them from D1 and that they would be as good if not better than MLS had they not been there.

Basically, the entire case hinges on the NASL being able to prove that the division standards USSF has set for leagues are not merit-based and instead exist to prevent MLS competitors.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

Basically, the entire case hinges on the NASL being able to prove that the division standards USSF has set for leagues are not merit-based and instead exist to prevent MLS competitors.

It hinges on divisional standards being solely to prop up MLS and hold down NASL. Essentially USSF says that the standards are based on financial force in the market(easily provable since being able to sell more tickets and having rich owners will give you financial power).    

2 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

What they're alleging is that USSF is subjectively applying their rules discriminately to benefit their interests with MLS and USL. 

Basically saying that if two teams were on level playing field they would favour usl/mls sides in granting status.  It will come down to evidence that I have no idea about but the allegation that ussf has ties to two of the leagues (if true) could be damning if they have disproportionately applied their laws. 

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

...It will come down to evidence that I have no idea about...

In the US legal system a lot of lawsuits are really aimed at settling something out of court by making a course of action too much of a hassle to be worth accomplishing. What the NASL are probably angling for is for their provisional sanctioning to continue indefinitely as long as they can keep coming up with some sort of pathway to 12. The USSF's move looked like a way to get the NASL to implode without actually rejecting their application outright, but the NASL seem to still be hanging in there as a coherent entity. Wouldn't surprise me if they are still around as a D2 league in 2018. From our standpoint the question of interest is at what point a CanPL launch looks like a better bet for FCE where the Faths are concerned.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

CBC article with quotes from Joe Belan on the Saskatoon meeting today

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/recreation-pitches-city-1.4296670

"Belan said the group is committed to minimizing the cost to the people of Saskatoon.

"We've made it very clear any proposal or funding mechanism we have in place will have no impact on taxpayers," he said"

Awesome 

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

What they're alleging is that USSF is subjectively applying their rules discriminately to benefit their interests with MLS and USL. 

Basically saying that if two teams were on level playing field they would favour usl/mls sides in granting status.  It will come down to evidence that I have no idea about but the allegation that ussf has ties to two of the leagues (if true) could be damning if they have disproportionately applied their laws. 

I read their case summary and their case was that USSF divisional provisions are solely used to favor MLS and hurt them and actually try to say they would be on the same level otherwise (they actually imply they are at the same sporting level in one section)

5 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Just curious but how popular is soccer in Saskatchewan and Halifax? I don't really know much about the communities. Would they be able to put up good numbers in attendance?

I know the Cosmos friendly was really impressive considering the teams. Something like 17kfans for a NASL team versus a large but not super international team from Spain(Valencia)

3 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I know the Cosmos friendly was really impressive considering the teams. Something like 17kfans for a NASL team versus a large but not super international team from Spain(Valencia)

Is it safe to say they can draw 8-15k for a CPL game? 

4 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

Is it safe to say they can draw 8-15k for a CPL game? 

The last numbers I heard in a podcast interview on what their business plan actually calls for is 4500-6000 and their plan apparently also envisages franchises being viable in markets with populations of 200,000 up. Canada has 20 census metropolitan areas that fit the bill on that (the largest ones may get multiple teams eventually apparently):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

We already know that #13 and #17 on the list of CMAs are expected to be in the first seven franchises, so they do appear to be following through on that sort of vision.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard