4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why would the teams that are doing perfectly fine want go through the added risks and complications of a bubble?

They wouldn't, but for those teams that aren't doing fine it might be an idea. The East is the only part of the country that's been consistently stable and might allow for training to go without a stop/start/stop/start sequence. It's a fair bit of effort, but if Athletico can go off to Madrid, it's not a crazy idea.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the CPL announcement seemed imminent, I stopped caring about the roster rules of American leagues. If anything this strengthens the CPL player pool.

I broke it down for you guys *** CPL Commissioner Clanachan interview  https://youtu.be/xQ5oAOq3pJk CPL working on different scenarios and schedules to restart the league Single ta

I just have to say, I am enjoying this league even more than I originally expected. I think in the 12 years I have followed MLS, I could probably count on two hands the amount of games I watched that

Posted Images

13 hours ago, camchatkaFC said:

I'm surprised the league hasn't tried a version of the 'Island Games training bubble.' Quite seriously, the East is the one part of the country that's managing reasonably well at the moment and would provide a decent space to train outside. The large number of universities in the region that aren't using their outdoor facilities at the moment would make for an ideal place to train. 

No need, keep in your clubs bubble and follow protocols, train outdoors in your own city, simple.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I would think this isn't ideal for the CPL either.

With COVID numbers being as they are the optics -- nevermind the reality -- is terrible for opening professional sport training and activities. I think we're going to be a while before that gets agreed on.

NHL season continues on in indoor arenas yet outdoors CFL and CPL may not be able to play possibly?

Ridiculous, its outdoors, let them play their season and well done to the NHL and other sports leagues who have figured out how to play their seasons. Its been over a year since this virus spread around the world from Wuhan China, lets continue on following the safety protocols but no more lockdowns imo. If they need to start the season without fans then so be it, hopefully it comes later in the summer/fall.

13 hours ago, narduch said:

The virus is airborne.

Most of the 'safety protocols' are useless.

The Canucks just had a massive outbreak. Whose to say that won't happen again?

The only thing that would work is a bubble at this point

As the experts said re the outdoors last summer when protests were going on not much chance of transmission with wind, disappation, etc, just don't pack people together and the other obvious protocols. Its not like it hangs in a cloud over a neighborhood.

Most safetly protocols aren't useless, its how we are living with this virus that spread from wuhan. Some may be extreme and useless (no super spreader golf games in Ontario?) others not so.

And the Canucks will be back tomorrow, its being handled and life goes on. Its called living with this virus for now.

No need for a bubble for this outdoor sport.

The new covid variants are more transmissible than the first one.  All it took was one Canuck player to infect the whole team, even when the old protocols were in place.  I think new protocols are going to be have to be figured out as we gain experience with the new variants.  It could very well be that what used to be considered safe is no longer so, including sparse crowds outdoors.

The main point of the lockdowns is to keep the healthcare system from collapsing under the influx of covid patients.  Sure, most people may not be too badly affected by the virus, but even a small minority of severe cases is enough to flood the system.  Until the hospitalization rates come down, I don't see the restrictions getting any lighter in the near future.

Clearly our federal government has an issue with competitive competition and cultural events. Maybe the CFL and CPL should consider going in to exile in the US until we make some changes in Canada. If they dont, they may not survive 

On 4/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, CDNFootballer said:

As the experts said re the outdoors last summer when ...

This isn't last summer's variant. It's far more transmissive, more deadly, and impacting people who are younger.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Most safetly protocols aren't useless, its how we are living with this virus that spread from wuhan.

If only we had the virus strain from Wuhan. The one that spread in Europe in January/February 202 was much more virulent after a significant mutation. To the point that the original Wuhan strain seems to have died out.

And we coped in summer of 2020 with that strain ... now the UK strain (and other strains) is dominant here, it's a very different story.

Edited by nfitz
23 hours ago, nfitz said:

This isn't last summer's variant. It's far more transmissive, more deadly, and impacting people who are younger.

If only we had the virus strain from Wuhan. The one that spread in Europe in January/February was much more virulent after a significant mutation. To the point that the original Wuhan strain seems to have died out.

And we coped in summer of 2020 with that strain ... now the UK strain (and other strains) is dominant here, it's a very different story.

Not quite on the variant being more deadly as death rates are down thankfully.

The original wuhan virus is still around apparently, variants make up 60% in bc for example not 100%.

Again,transmission is far lower outdoors, as stated today by an expert, who also emphasized how you can't get covid by walking or running past someone. The expert said "go outdoors", "play soccer" (yes, play soccer) "have picnics", but "social distance" etc.

So again, no need for a bubble, let the CPL clubs play their season outdoors in their own stadiums imo.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Not quite on the variant being more deadly as death rates are down thankfully.

Death rates are way down, because 80% of the deaths in Canada were in long-term care homes, and they've almost all had 2 doses many weeks ago. But if you take an average person in their 30s, 40s, 50s, etc., the death rates are up.

The UK variant (B.1.1.7) is much more deadly than the B.1 strains that decimated Europe and the USA in the first wave - https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2021/03/15/uk-coronavirus-variant-significantly-more-deadly-says-new-study/

The original wuhan virus is still around apparently, variants make up 60% in bc for example not 100%.o.

There's only been a handful of cases in Canada of the original November/December 2019 Wuhan virus (A.1) that started it all. As far as I know, all the Canadian cases for months have been of the variant that appeared in Europe in January/February 2020 - B.1 ... or the variants of that.

Here's a fascinating article, looking at the strains. You'll see the original strain is long since gone in any measurable way. Note that the nomenclature has changed since this was written. I believe that "L" strain is now what they call "A.1" and the G strain is B.1. https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/EVOLUTION/yxmpjqkdzvr/

The Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2#Nomenclature is also interesting - though seems to consider A.1 to be the S strain.

Again,transmission is far lower outdoors, as stated today by an expert, who also emphasized how you can't get covid by walking or running past someone. The expert said "go outdoors", "play soccer" (yes, play soccer) "have picnics", but "social distance" etc.

Which expert? I'm not aware of any advocating that people have picnics with other than their family. If this variant spreads in outdoor patios, it will spread in a picnic.

So again, no need for a bubble, let the CPL clubs play their season outdoors in their own stadiums imo.

Sure - but can they afford it, in empty stadiums.

Probably better to wait until August or so, when they can hopefully have some people in the stands. Perhaps they can find a way to play in much larger stadiums than usual, and have the usual size crowd, but more distancing.

Edited by nfitz
13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Do you think soccer players stay outdoors 24/7?

22 hours ago, nfitz said:

Which expert? I'm not aware of any advocating that people have picnics with other than their family. If this variant spreads in outdoor patios, it will spread in a picnic.

Dr Bonnie Henry, BC provincial health officer.

Lots of people taking her advice and outdoors, parks were full of picnickers last weekend enjoying life but being safe and smart as well and social distancing from other groups. We know by now how to live with covid's existance and where the real problem transmissions happen and how. Outdoors playing soccer, walking, running by someone, etc, aren't examples of them.

Why not just move both leagues to the US until further notice. Create sister cities. I would do this with a 2 yr plan in place. We need time to change the decision makers in this country and it won't happen over night

Maybe both leagues could pool together their resources. Oklahoma would be a good location. Not a lot of pro sport competition 

Edited by SpursFlu
5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why not just move both leagues to the US until further notice. Create sister cities. I would do this with a 2 yr plan in place. We need time to change the decision makers in this country and it won't happen over night

Maybe both leagues could pool together their resources. Oklahoma would be a good location. Not a lot of pro sport competition 

Please stop pushing your political agenda in literally every thread. It's tiresome.

Self interest aside, the Island-games model makes way more sense if stadiums are going to be empty anyway.  Why would you deal with relocation and then travel costs rather than just congregating in one spot for a shortened season?  You eliminate the travel that leads to COVID risks, testing is uniform and consistent, and costs are minimized - all while providing a televised product that is equally as accessible to fans.   

The only downside - and it isn’t insignificant - is the fact that players are isolated from their families for an extended period of time during the bubble.  

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Please stop pushing your political agenda in literally every thread. It's tiresome.

Why? Clearly nothing is getting back to normal in this country anytime soon. Especially from a CFL perspective where they could genuinely garner interest in the US. Why not pick a region in the US without competition and just set up shop for the next 2 years. Instead of waisting time and resources turning yourself inside out in Canada.

To the above points. You wouldn't need a bubble concept, you wouldn't need to isolate families and you could put people in the stands 

Edited by SpursFlu
On 4/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, nfitz said:

If only we had the virus strain from Wuhan. The one that spread in Europe in January/February 202 was much more virulent after a significant mutation. To the point that the original Wuhan strain seems to have died out.

That seems like an oxymoron. Also, who told you this?

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Watchmen, you and I are going to transcend into the spiritual realm very soon. Don't fight it. Like always, I will carry you, kicking and screaming and in the end, you will thank me.