CPL General

21 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Hey, I still have my doubts about the league long term and wouldn't be shocked by teams folding. But, that doesn't mean I can't also be excited for a new team in a new region of the country. It's massive and good news.

Yes, fair enough! I also don't want an echo chamber we have to stay grounded, obviously there will be growing pains and the CPL should not be immune from criticism, I know you raise questions but I think you are fair and want what's best for football in this country!

12 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

"We’ll focus on 2023. We’ll be assertive and aggressive on trying to achieve that," he added. "But we will also be realistic that it’s a very very ambitious timeline."

So 2023, maybe 2024. I think that's the timeline most people were thinking for Saskatoon anyway, it's just the league announcing it well in advance this time.

Yeah, if anything this is hugely confusing at this point. Doesn't seem much more than we knew other than a commitment from parties, which shouldn't be underplayed I guess.

Joe Belan doesn't seem to be involved. Does it have his blessing or did Simpson break away and take over.  Or is Joe taking a role with the D2 league with Saskatoon starting in that. Maybe they develop the team in the meantime in d2 until CPL is ready. No reason we don't see a Saskatoon team in D2. They simply can't wait until the stadium is built to build infrastructure.  Given the amount of time and framework already set up by Joe/Al etc. it would be a shame if this isn't just a natural continuation. I can't see Prairieland being sat there talking to both parties about the same thing so there is hope on that end.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Really?  There’s nothing disappointing about an expansion team building a soccer specific stadium in a new market.

No matter what this is a positive development.

In context it's kind of disappointing. The thinking was that there would be a team playing somewhere within 2 years, possibly even 2 teams. At this point has Simpson already paid the expansion fee? Could he pull a Sacramento if he gets cold feet in a couple years? Also, if they need to build a stadium, I get in theory it could go quickly. However, as we have seen in other municipalities, especially where I am in Hamilton there are so many political hurdles to jump through it could be much longer than what they are hoping for.

I think the fact you could have more than one viable ownership project in a smaller market like Saskatoon shows the strength of Canadian soccer.

Makes you think what might be there in Quebec or Greater Vancouver.

Also suggests that if some club starts to teeter for whatever reason, someone else might be near to level things out. 

What is amazing is we are right back into this positive upwards mood they've been able to create each preseason. 

simpson worked with the belan group for a couple of years and was part of the sk series..then he decided to go his own way..belan never had the money and with covid it was dead for him and that was clear with his appearance on podcast..simpson is a big business guy..has money and can get it done..but hes also 63 and theres a lot left to do so will be interesting

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Put a nice modular stadium up and go from there if a stadium deal can’t be done by 2023, I still remember that modular stadium the Whitecaps played in the first season there was nothing wrong with that from the way it looked on TV actually looked better than how BC place which is not bad looks on TV. But great news , but they really need to get into Quebec , a national league with no representation in the 2nd most populous province is not good and especially of how unique the province is in terms of culture and language, my choice would be Quebec City that would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...in a way that sends a shot across the bow of Joe Belan's D2 efforts.

I very much think this was the point to be honest.  I think this was announced to secure the exclusive MOU for the property so it wouldn’t be available for a D2 league.

Remember the D2 league is a potential competitor, especially in stadium rights.

They also have very different aspirations- the D2 league will have no problem with MLS farm clubs.  Quite the opposite in fact- they will be actively courting farm clubs.

37 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

There’s serious pushback from the horse racing community. 

The venue has apparently been losing money on horse racing for a number of years and cancelled last year and this year.

Horse-racing is a rapidly shrinking sport so the venue is looking at their long term sustainability.  I don’t blame them.

15 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

No offence to the island, but I don't even see how that would be possible without a new stadium/significant upgrades to UPEI's stadium. I would think Moncton would be the obvious choice for expansion back home given U de M's stade, the population base/density of the city and the central location among the three provinces. 

Still, the Charlottetown Anne-of-Green-Gables-Potato-Lobsters would look pretty sick taking to the pitch in their PEI dirt shirts with Cow's Ice Cream as the kit sponsors. But it'd be some hard for the TV viewers to tell the players apart when they're all Arseneaults, Gallants and Murphys. 

You nailed it.