CPL General

Launch in 2023 with a 5,000 seat soccer specific stadium.  It takes a bit of time to build a proper SSS.

I really like Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) getting a team.  I’m sure they will develop a rabid fan base.

This is really a positive development for the League.  

So much for no investors in Saskatchewan lol.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

Launch in 2023 with a 5,000 seat soccer specific stadium.  It takes a bit of time to build a proper SSS.

I really like Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) getting a team.  I’m sure they will develop a rabid fan base.

This is really a positive development for the League.  

So much for no investors in Saskatchewan lol.

5000 is going to be small, I get they’re aiming for HFX, is it a pop up ??? I think they could build 10k.

Just now, m-g-williams said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that there's not even a mention of Joe Belan in all of this? I understood him to be *the* driving force behind a Saskatoon bid, but maybe I'm wrong. 

He sounded like he was part of that D2 league thing they were floating.  Clearly something between him and the CanPL broke down.  His loss I guess.

4 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that there's not even a mention of Joe Belan in all of this? I understood him to be *the* driving force behind a Saskatoon bid, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Apparently he moved back to Toronto due to pandemic 

39 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm wondering where all of the naysayers on here are, you know the ones, constantly picking apart the league, predicting doom and gloom and clubs or even the league to fold? If any clubs were in that much trouble do you think there would be an impending announcement of expansion?

Hey, I still have my doubts about the league long term and wouldn't be shocked by teams folding. But, that doesn't mean I can't also be excited for a new team in a new region of the country. It's massive and good news.

This is fantastic.  My guess, is that they will go modular around the the grand stand at Marquis Down (former thoroughbred race course).  The tricky part will be converting the grounds to proper grass or turf.  There is sufficient parking for 3000 cars for a 4,500 seat stadium.  Usually its 1.5 heads per car depending on the event.

Seems to be a successful business man.  Great news in a year that will be challenging for the league.

So 5-6.5k seats to start, can go to 10-12 after. I think it will a Halifax situation where they will be an instant success and they will need 6.5K seats.

lots of work to do but the park is open and receptive so I wouldn’t be surprised for them to have shovels in the ground in 2022. I think this guy is willing to spend on this team and it doesn’t seem like he’s poor. I think it’s ball in the city’s court rn.

Sportsnet picked it up and has some details.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-awards-expansion-club-saskatoon-pending-stadium-approval/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Simpson is looking at a stadium that can accommodate 5,000 to 6,500 to start, refurbishing some of the existing infrastructure of the racetrack. Clanachan says the plan could see the venue expand to 10,000 to 12,000.

Starting in 2023 would mean "we would need to put shovels in the ground probably second quarter of 2022," said Simpson.

"We’ll focus on 2023. We’ll be assertive and aggressive on trying to achieve that," he added. "But we will also be realistic that it’s a very very ambitious timeline."