CPL General

Manuel Veth on Twitter said that investors are lining up. Said could be a situation where something got over the line late like Atletico Ottawa. 

I’m thinking it’s another big name ownership group, if it’s Quebec it’s French.

In the Atlantic i would think SJ or Moncton.

if it’s Saskatchewan man are some reporters like Nef and Rollins going to be slaughtered. They will lose so much credibility. 

some people think it’s could be a players union. Makes you wonder what’s up with Fraser Valley ?

ultimate troll would be to add 2 teams and make us think it’s just 1.

Just now, Dominic94 said:

Veth saying his sources saying 2022 likely, but why announce now  ? Also more creditable source saying they’ve been shocked before.

im expecting 2 teams tmrw for 2021, why announce now if not the case ?

why two teams?

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Veth saying his sources saying 2022 likely, but why announce now  ? Also more creditable source saying they’ve been shocked before.

Because you want fans in those markets to start watching your product this season.

And it's not uncommon to announce new teams at least a year in advance. Ottawa's last minute inclusion last year was the outlier, and probably worked because there was a similar team in that market folding.

Edited by Watchmen

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

2021 doesn't really make sense as having fans in the stands is still up in the air. 

Announcing for 2022 gives the teams more time to set up.

53 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Well this would be an absolute stunner wouldn’t it.

No offence to the island, but I don't even see how that would be possible without a new stadium/significant upgrades to UPEI's stadium. I would think Moncton would be the obvious choice for expansion back home given U de M's stade, the population base/density of the city and the central location among the three provinces. 

Still, the Charlottetown Anne-of-Green-Gables-Potato-Lobsters would look pretty sick taking to the pitch in their PEI dirt shirts with Cow's Ice Cream as the kit sponsors. But it'd be some hard for the TV viewers to tell the players apart when they're all Arseneaults, Gallants and Murphys. 

Edited by m-g-williams

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

2021 doesn't really make sense as having fans in the stands is still up in the air. 

Announcing for 2022 gives the teams more time to set up.

It's easy to assume a spanner named "pandemic" found it's way into the clockworks driving any expansion plans for 2021 but this may not be true.  Maybe for some but not necessarily all.  

If the rumour of a Victoria Day launch to the 2021 season proves true the league is betting on fans being in stands early into summer.  Maybe that's optimistic, maybe it's not, but I don't think it is.  I think 2021 is going to look a lot more like 2019 than 2020.

Either way, here's to 2021.  Or 2022.  I'm going to play it safe and have one for each.  

Alright, final post for the day. I was looking through some of the comments to the post on Twitter, and someone started speculating that the meeting ID for the Zoom call might be a clue. 

The meeting ID is 995 7909 2054. There's no phone number in Canada that matches that, I can't figure out a word/place name the numbers would convert to in letters (either as one-to-one or using touch-tone phone equivalency), and I don't see how this could translate into any kind of postal code.  

However, the GPS coordinates of Brandon, Manitoba are (when the order is flipped) 099°57′00″W 49°50′54″N. It's not a perfect match, but damn if that isn't kinda cool. 

I still don’t get why announce it now like you haven’t even announced when you’ll start. It doesn’t make sense that it’s 2022 imo, like it can wait months.

for my money given that it’s 2 teams: Fraser valley has long been rumoured as a done deal, and I’m going with Quebec City.

id imagine that The DFB and FFF will be spearheading this league in a landmark deal that will seem unparalleled collaboration on the training and development of youth players.

btw goes to show of what they think of the potential here just the fact that they’re monitoring the league.

this goes beyond Davies and David but to guys who are in Euro academies and guys like Larin and Estaquio and Ferreira as well who were trained here.