CPL General

On 3/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, Dominic94 said:

I skimmed through this but if you can’t pay a liveable wage in your city you aren’t a fucking pro team period, and you certainly aren’t a pro league. 

I love having a league, but for crying out loud we aren’t first division in anything but name. If the fucking 3rd division is paying better wages across the border

if you’re going to be a first division league you’re going to have to pay first division wages. We don’t and it’s a fucking joke, I get not wanting to lose, and wanting to raise the quality but that costs money so spend it on your cdn’s also because we could have brought home some high profile players if we hadn’t of been cheap and that would have raised the quality.

3rd division across the border is not paying better wages and many teams in USA's D2 is similar or lower than CPL if you are familiar with USL C.

MLS did not pay high wages at the start either, takes time to build and stabilize a league but they were still D1 as CPL is.

CPL is building something sustainable with a 750k cap in its early years to ensure survival. Quickest way to torpedo the league is to inflate wages and losses where interest in having a club in the league is hampered. The league has picked the setup they feel they need to start at for the early years of the league to grow into something bigger like MLS did.

Lastly, the CSA has sanctioned the CPL as D1 with its setup including wages. If some have an opinion its not D1 even though it is, that's their right but its not correct or factual.

Edited by CDNFootballer

The way I see the wage issue is this. The owners wanted to create a league. It's difficult to know how much you can afford to spend before knowing how much money you can make back. They dipped their toe in the water for year 1, then after year 1 COVID turned the water into a lake of lava and they pulled their toe back 25%. I'm glad they are patiently waiting by to try their toe again when it returns to water.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

The way I see the wage issue is this. The owners wanted to create a league. It's difficult to know how much you can afford to spend before knowing how much money you can make back. They dipped their toe in the water for year 1, then after year 1 COVID turned the water into a lake of lava and they pulled their toe back 25%. I'm glad they are patiently waiting by to try their toe again when it returns to water.

Didn't loads of teams/leagues/companies cut or defer salaries due to Covid? It just seemed like a reality of the financial situation to me, and not an example of them demonstrating less commitment.

An interesting take I heard on the wage situation... would wages not be even lower if teams had to follow Financial Fair Play rules like they do in Europe?  

On 3/3/2021 at 6:52 AM, Aird25 said:

You do more for the sport in Victoria than most, so I hate to disagree with you. Please explain how any of this is helping to ensure the survival of the league. I can only envision it having the opposite effect

You are giving me waaaaaay to much credit. I am explaining why we are interested in all the business talk and blather on about it here. I never said any of it is actually helping in any way. LOL

On 3/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, Dominic94 said:

So how much better is the league now than 2 years ago with Borges in it ?

can he be the mvp again ?

Can he be, yes. Do I personally see him doing what he did in year 1 again, nope. Every team has gotten better since his departure. He feasted on bad teams like HFX. Look at HFX now. 

Canadian Premier League offers first look at its bottom line

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-premier-league-offers-first-200032560.html

• Player spending must fall between $650,000 and $850,000
  • coach/technical range is between $350,000 and $550,000
  • Combined, the two must fall under $1.2 million
  • The cap includes salaries, housing and travel allowances and individual player bonuses but not "league or club accomplishment bonuses."
  • the salary cap accounts for some 57 per cent of team revenue — and could reach some 70 per cent factoring in bonuses
  • it takes more $4 million a year to run a CPL team
  • the salary cap is the same as it was last year, because of the shortened season in 2020. The plan is to raise it in 2022
  • average player pay in 2021 is around $40,000, which may include housing, car allowances and incentive bonuses
  • top end of the salary scale is $77,000
  • There will be a minimum player salary of $22,000 in 2021, which including other compensation is expected to reach $26,000
  • The minimum does not cover those on U-Sports contracts - those deals would be in the range of $10,000 to $12,000
  • These figures don't include $45k of individual bonuses available to be earned each years
  • These figures don't include up to $178k (depending on progress) in bonuses given out by the league to the #CanPL representative in Concacaf

Clanachan says the goal is to become one of the top three leagues in CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Edited by Ansem

Just now, nfitz said:

Wow! Kudos to Duane for being on their case and rattling them!

I'm happy the news is released and I'm glad a minimum salary has been introduced, but I still think Duane and his cohort have probably done more harm than good. Perhaps I'm wrong though. At least there's some chatter about the league again. I just hope it translates into revenue

10-12k for a u sports player man that’s pretty solid, and those players are on scholarship too. Even if they don’t play in the CPL after it’s a sweet deal and can work part time. 

22k as a minimum isn’t great but I believe it’s better than MLS a few years back, and with some expenses covered things look a lot better. Also you’re paying like 0 taxes on that at that point. 

this is major over due transparency all credit to Duane and Co.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Duane being corrected 

I'm glad the league has finally come out with some numbers.  If there's some inaccuracies in them (as Duane says), I hope the union will speak out about them.

Edit: Oliver says that the league is "introducing" a minimum of $22k salary, which means this was not the case previously.  Could easily be a case of not all the players knowing about this yet (league doesn't seem to have a good job in the past of communicaint with it's players), and thus the player talking to Rollins hasn't been informed.

Edited by Watchmen

13 hours ago, nfitz said:

Wow! Kudos to Duane for being on their case and rattling them!

...and also the guys on twitter close to the PFACan like Edward H.S. Wong and Soccer Made in Canada that have been pushing this issue relentlessly for months. Great to finally see the level of transparancy that will force the league to live up to being fully professional moving forward as their D1 sanctioning should inherently involve.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and also the guys on twitter close to the PFACan like Edward H.S. Wong and Soccer Made in Canada that have been pushing this issue relentlessly for months. Great to finally see the level of transparancy that will force the league to live up to being fully professional moving forward as their D1 sanctioning should inherently involve.

Thanks! But lion share of credit will always go to the players willing to step forward to talk to me and others who have reported on this issue, and of course the union organizing itself.

This news is a testament to the power of labour organizing and the pressure exerted by fans. It's obvious, but what I was hearing was shear panic behind the scenes at the league office, with clubs angered at the bad press from the past couple weeks. Clanachan even softened his anti-union rhetoric in the colonist piece ... I'll believe him when he voluntarily certifies the union, but until them it's clear they're dealing with a great deal of pressure.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

40 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

with clubs angered at the bad press from the past couple weeks.

This was always my concern. Bad press and damaging the perception of a league that needs all the help it can get right now. I don't think we'll have a clear understanding of this until we see how many butts return to seats, but many people I brought to games seemed to lose interest after hearing star players earned less than they did. That's likely why they kept people in the dark to begin with.

There have been some positive developments that have come out of this, but I still wish this had been done behind closed doors. The league probably should have recognized the union to avoid this.

18 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

This was always my concern. Bad press and damaging the perception of a league that needs all the help it can get right now. I don't think we'll have a clear understanding of this until we see how many butts return to seats, but many people I brought to games seemed to lose interest after hearing star players earned less than they did. That's likely why they kept people in the dark to begin with.

There have been some positive developments that have come out of this, but I still wish this had been done behind closed doors. The league probably should have recognized the union to avoid this.

Yep, this was literally one of the reasons why the union has been pitching voluntary certification and getting things done together instead of through the media. Yet, Clanachan hasn't even returned any of the communications, let alone agreed to a meeting or voluntary certification. This is the result of that decision.

I have friends who are thinking of dropping season tickets until the union is recognized. And I know a dozen people who indicated that their primary concern is the failure to recognize the union when York United pushed out their season seat holder survey two weeks ago. The league is also hearing it from supporters groups.

If the league works with the union, they can push out a message of clubs and players growing the nascent league together instead of sowing discord.