Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the CPL announcement seemed imminent, I stopped caring about the roster rules of American leagues. If anything this strengthens the CPL player pool.

I broke it down for you guys *** CPL Commissioner Clanachan interview  https://youtu.be/xQ5oAOq3pJk CPL working on different scenarios and schedules to restart the league Single ta

I just have to say, I am enjoying this league even more than I originally expected. I think in the 12 years I have followed MLS, I could probably count on two hands the amount of games I watched that

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Kent said:

And if the investors have lost lots of money in their other businesses? As much as we would like it to be, life can't just be put on pause indefinitely without any side effects. It's very possible that the CPL gets through this, but the worst case scenario is not everything going back to normal when play resumes. That's the best case scenario.

Yeah, that's an avenue I never thought actually, the other assets of an investor. I guess it depends on how liquid these owners are. Hopefully they aren't too effected by it.

Edited by Macksam
Link to post
Share on other sites

A huge part is how owners will be doing financially..think the only one really safe is cavalry with atco behind them that has billions in revenue and active in multiple industries..the seven others could be in trouble and some owners will probably look to get out..hopefully new owners would be found for those teams..even for a guy like young could be very tough as he has ticats also and not huge revenue coming from elsewhere and aged 66 might be thinking of not losing a lot of money

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

..even for a guy like young could be very tough as he has ticats also and not huge revenue coming from elsewhere and aged 66 

He is believed to be money behind the Halifax team, who are the latter day 86ers in terms of providing reasons to believe, and seems genuinely passionate about the league. The one that I'd be most wary of are the Blue Bombers if the CFL loses a lot of money this year, because there is no passionate lead investor involved there and it appears to be about helping to pay off their stadium debt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He is believed to be money behind the Halifax team, who are the latter day 86ers in terms of providing reasons to believe, and seems genuinely passionate about the league. The one that I'd be most wary of are the Blue Bombers if the CFL loses a lot of money this year, because there is no passionate lead investor involved there and it appears to be about helping to pay off their stadium debt.

I wouldn't worry about WFC - they have a provincial government that won't let them fail. (NDP or Conservatives - doesn't matter)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Strong words by former CPL president but accurate.

Rubbish disparaging remarks from the former president. As I said in my tweet: Have to say, terribly disappointed in the patronizing responses to players organizing a union by @Paulbeirne, a key architect + former president of the #CanPL. Not too different from "shut up and dribble" and fails to recognize there will be no league without its players.

Players have also been communicating that money isn't their priority right now. Their priority is to have a seat at the table in these uncertain times. Players aren't stupid, they know the league's survival is paramount to having a career in the field. They want the relationship to be a mutually beneficial one - Paul (and David)'s comments do not help that cause.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Sounds hard but completely correct by Beirne..this was the worst time to come out wth this..there are pro leagues folding and there are teams all over in danger of not surviving..everyone should be working for survival of cpl at this point

Murmurs are that the timing of this coincided with the lack of consultation for the deferrals. While money isn't the priority from everything I am hearing, players feel an urgency to have a seat at the table in these uncertain times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Rubbish disparaging remarks from the former president. As I said in my tweet: Have to say, terribly disappointed in the patronizing responses to players organizing a union by @Paulbeirne, a key architect + former president of the #CanPL. Not too different from "shut up and dribble" and fails to recognize there will be no league without its players.

Players have also been communicating that money isn't their priority right now. Their priority is to have a seat at the table in these uncertain times. Players aren't stupid, they know the league's survival is paramount to having a career in the field. They want the relationship to be a mutually beneficial one - Paul (and David)'s comments do not help that cause.

 

3 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Murmurs are that the timing of this coincided with the lack of consultation for the deferrals. While money isn't the priority from everything I am hearing, players feel an urgency to have a seat at the table in these uncertain times.

Players having a voice is 100% understandable and I'm all for it. 

I'm just seeing it from the real world perspective that absolutely no businesses welcomes a union with open arms. Their reaction is not surprising and they are thinking the worst.

However, I have faith in the players that they have form that union for the right reasons and cooperate with the league to move forward together, not force owners to pay above market value for talents.

Like I said, I have no doubt the players are doing this for the right reasons but the outrage is naive. No league were ever thrilled to see a union being formed, CPL won't be any different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The leaders at the CPL decided that the way to handle this pay reduction was to issue a statement, rather than informing the players first themselves.  If they'd done that, the players probably don't rush to form the union with quite the same urgency, as it would feel more like the a partnership.  The condescending attitude from a bad writer and former president doesn't help matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get too exicted just yet for any number of reasons.

The league is going to be budget based and have a high player turn over rate for the forseeable future so that isn't exactly going to empower any labour union towards any bold actions.  In all likelyhook I'd expect whatever players association comes to the CPL will concentrate almost entirely on entitlements, standardization and contract transparency.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the CanPL.  If the league is already being reasonable and equitable then no worries.  If it isn't?  I want my money back and I'll go back to supporting Canadian soccer they way I have for the last 30 years before the CanPL ever came along.  Sounds harsh but there it is.      

The CanPL is in it's infancy and will have a player's union to match.  They have to move forward together, or not.  There is no way around it.

P.S.  Bernie, fu'k off.  

 

Edited by Cheeta
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Rubbish disparaging remarks from the former president....

Looks more like a blunt reality check to me. The message is that the teams are losing money and will be for the foreseeable future so don't rock the boat, if you want there to still be a boat. The league clearly did not hit their stated target on paid fan support in year one in all but one of the cities and is still only one team folding away from an existential crisis at this stage of its existence. The danger is that despite the assurances that this isn't about salaries some of the players have been reading the delusional stuff that gets posted online about guaranteed megamillions having been received from Mediapro for ten years and have actually believed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Rubbish disparaging remarks from the former president. As I said in my tweet: Have to say, terribly disappointed in the patronizing responses to players organizing a union by @Paulbeirne, a key architect + former president of the #CanPL. Not too different from "shut up and dribble" and fails to recognize there will be no league without its players.

Players have also been communicating that money isn't their priority right now. Their priority is to have a seat at the table in these uncertain times. Players aren't stupid, they know the league's survival is paramount to having a career in the field. They want the relationship to be a mutually beneficial one - Paul (and David)'s comments do not help that cause.

Beirne has it exactly ass-backwards--the real philanthropy is the players being the main agents of the league with salaries that are below minimums in many cases. They are the philanthropists, only that they don't have excess capital to be doing it. 

Agree that the mentality is twisted and insulting, it's the players who are subsidizing the league by accepting such a low salary cap. If it is true that teams are running on more than 3 million a year and salaries are 25% of that, then CPL salaries are amongst the lowest in the world as % of total budget.

What is worse: we have no word that Mediapro stopped paying the league, and therefore the clubs. Meaning the clubs continue to receive their main source of income while players, from what I gather, are not being paid. Now if players signed are being paid, then that sounds like a step in the right direction.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If the business is being operated at a loss and there is no guarantee that is ever going to change and that losses will ever be recouped then giving players those contracts can be viewed as an act of philanthropy. 

The owners are taking risks associated with an investment.

The players are being philanthropic by subsidizing and mitigating those risks by taking on poverty level contracts.

But all this is besides the point since according to people I've spoken to the main contention isn't actually money, but accountability and transparency. The players aren't looking for a fight - they are looking to collaborate with the league. It's pretty evident that the ones at the moment looking for a fight are the bosses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First, I am a supporter of unions.   Second, the union sector today is screwed up, unions were started to protect the rights and safety of the working class, miners, factory workers etc.      Today a lot (most)of the working  class have no unions, especially in the USA, who has unions? Government workers, doctors, nurses, teachers and the least deserving of all, multi-millionaire professional athletes, who if they invested in a company would probably be adverse to giving union rights to their employees.    Rant over, i favor the CanPL players establishing a union and working with the owners to make it a better league for all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

First, I am a supporter of unions.   Second, the union sector today is screwed up, unions were started to protect the rights and safety of the working class, miners, factory workers etc.      Today a lot (most)of the working  class have no unions, especially in the USA, who has unions? Government workers, doctors, nurses, teachers and the least deserving of all, multi-millionaire professional athletes, who if they invested in a company would probably be adverse to giving union rights to their employees.    Rant over, i favor the CanPL players establishing a union and working with the owners to make it a better league for all.

Younger generation do not understand the value of unions. They're more interested in other types of activism. They dont really get it. Just look how easily cab unions got rolled over in favor of an app. 100 people holding hammers having to provide for a family doesn't resignate with people anymore. It's a different world with different values

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...