10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And in contracting, the other guys wont talk about what they charge and its usually the employer playing off you off against each other because you dont have any negotiating power at all.  The oil companies came in 5 years ago and said every contractor/service provider is getting 50% of what they made last week if they want to keep the work. 

I find it funny although we dont know the wages or cap, people talk about it like they do,  So and so makes this, he is the highest paid on the team and no one really knows for sure.   

There are a lot of things we don't know for sure but that doesn't mean we don't have a pretty good idea!

16 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Most of the domestic players use the same 3-4 agents, so I'm sure they all know what each other are making.

Yeah probably. But its likely that the internationals will be the ones that have a higher pay compared to performance that would be more useful to know during negotiations

3 hours ago, grande said:

I have heard a third-hand rumour that the schedule will be coming out this week.

Accurate? Who knows... but my fingers are crossed.

I was hoping for this. I'm all in for buying season tickets for name-yet-to-be-confirmed Ottawa, but it would be nice to know the dates first.

Taking my cue from a comment about Twitter followers of Atlético Ottawa, here are the current numbers (changing by the minute, of course)

FC Edmonton: 16374

Cavalry: 8029

Forge: 7898

HFX Wanderers: 7691

Valour: 7652

Pacific: 5698

York9: 5433

Atlético Ottawa: 2719 > 3605 (12 hours later) > 4090 (36 hrs later)

Meanwhile, York9 has gone up 1, Forge 5, in the same half day. So much for the ripple effect....

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not sure where he goes from here. As much as I didn’t want him involved in the new Ottawa CPL club I hope he lands a good opportunity.

That’s disappointing. He dug his own grave which is the craziest thing.  Money makes people do crazy things. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s disappointing. He dug his own grave which is the craziest thing.  Money makes people do crazy things. 

Interesting comment. I’ve wondered if Julian was actually part of the Fury ownership. I believe they were a limited partnership and he came in around when Jeff Hunt divested so I always thought he may have actually bought Hunts shares. That would explain the devout faith to the Fury and all of the bizarre comments behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah well, I still have my doubts about the viability of the league. 

I'm curious of that is simply pessimism or you see some flaw?

From my perspective things look a lot better than they did at the end of the first season, which was already a resounding success IMO.

• All teams from year one have returned
  • attendance average across the league was reasonable in year one
  • expansion has happened and looks to continue for next year
  • ongoing revenue stream via multi-year Media Pro deal
  • rumours of One Soccer being added to cable systems

I don't see anything in particular that is sending warning signals. What am I missing in my optimism?

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I have been reading the Fury folded buy did they not move to Miami, pretty sure they did. 

Fury closed up operations in Ottawa & sold the franchise rights to The Miami FC.

Edit: And it seems I was beaten to the reply. To expand a little further, only the USL franchise rights were sold, nothing else. The trademark rights for "Ottawa Fury FC" remain with OSEG, as far as we know. For all useful purposes, Fury are gone. Atletico Ottawa is a completely new venture, hosting their matches at the same place and with 1 of the OSEG partners involved in local management.

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

Fury closed up operations in Ottawa & sold the franchise rights to The Miami FC.

Edit: And it seems I was beaten to the reply. To expand a little further, only the USL franchise rights were sold, nothing else. The trademark rights for "Ottawa Fury FC" remain with OSEG, as far as we know. For all useful purposes, Fury are gone. Atletico Ottawa is a completely new venture, hosting their matches at the same place and with 1 of the OSEG partners involved in local management.

How much were the USL franchise rights sold for, anyone know?

I am really curious to know how much of what happened was fortuitous, and how much brokered from the start. 

It would make more sense, if Hunt is still involved with OSEG, that they did a business deal that was being worked on from the time Mediapro came into the league. They cut their losses and sold the franchise. But perhaps they were paid or received some incentive to step aside, via the CSB entity, Mediapro or Atlético?

A deal was made not to disband the club structure and keep it intact (we'll see how many re-hires there are in their administration). 

It does not seem logical the way the sequence is being explained, as if one group closed shop and another bought in, one step after another. Fury felt they could not join CPL, due to bad blood or other motives, or some part of the ownership did not want to. But they still were encouraged to show restraint on the aggressive line taken in late 2018, and looked at the numbers (the paying tenant at TD Place) and their local reputation (not be blamed for liquidating soccer in Ottawa).

If what I am suggesting is at all valid, one of the people who was most screwed by the deal was Julian de Guzman.

1 hour ago, ted said:

From my perspective things look a lot better than they did at the end of the first season, which was already a resounding success IMO.

I don't see anything in particular that is sending warning signals. What am I missing in my optimism?

I think a lot of what you see as pessimism is simply PTSD wariness of the Canadian Soccer Fan in general. We've been conditioned to expect to be disappointed that we don't know how to properly react when things are going well as we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know personally that my unease won't dissipate until the CanPL makes it to it's 10th anniversary.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How much were the USL franchise rights sold for, anyone know?

I am really curious to know how much of what happened was fortuitous, and how much brokered from the start. 

It would make more sense, if Hunt is still involved with OSEG, that they did a business deal that was being worked on from the time Mediapro came into the league. They cut their losses and sold the franchise. But perhaps they were paid or received some incentive to step aside, via the CSB entity, Mediapro or Atlético? ...

We'll probably never know for sure how the mechanics of it unfolded but it does look like the Fury owners were compensated financially for undergoing the change of leagues. Another interesting question is how they can sign players when they are not a member of the CSA yet given that normally happens at the AGM in early May.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Where must that come from, was it partially left over from the NASL days?

I think that's a safe assumption. The Ottawa Fury have over 18000 followers on Twitter, so simply being around for a long time seems to push up those numbers.

4 hours ago, ted said:

I'm not the OP, but where I was wary last season, I'm still only cautiously optimistic about the league at this point. With the MediaPro deal, I think we're safe until the World Cup, but we're not where we need to be in terms of viewership, attendance, salaries, media coverage etc. for this to be sustainable yet. This league is still extremely niche in my opinion, and even the butts in the seats have only a very vague awareness of what they're watching. 

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

I think a lot of what you see as pessimism is simply PTSD wariness of the Canadian Soccer Fan in general. We've been conditioned to expect to be disappointed that we don't know how to properly react when things are going well as we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know personally that my unease won't dissipate until the CanPL makes it to it's 10th anniversary.

Good point.  Don’t know if it’s pessimism or realism.  Professional soccer is still a niche sport in this country and where awareness of the MLS is decent but nowhere near the four other major leagues, the CPL is still a small footnote in most people’s minds if that at all.  This is also a huge country; I travel a lot for work (and vacation) and it’s not cheap.  Grateful as we are for Westjet subsidizing travel (??), the second that ends and there is no replacement, the concerns go up three notches unless there is a hike in revenues.