50 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

It means the Impact can send up to 8 players to the Fury as per the agreement, and apparently Montreal pays the players so the Fury gets a break on salaries but they lose some independence on the roster as the players aren't sent down to Ottawa to ride the bench.

Can remember reading somewhere that the Fury inisist on retaining full control over team selection, so that last bit isn't necessarily the case. They are an affiliate rather than a reserve team.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can remember reading somewhere that the Fury inisist on retaining full control over team selection, so that last bit isn't necessarily the case. They are an affiliate rather than a reserve team.

That comes from the Fury themselves, and of course they're going to say that for PR purposes. Daglish said that when he was coach in Ottawa for instance. They're not going to play up the fact they're an official minor league affiliate for an MLS franchise and that they have to give minutes to  the parent teams players. That won't exactly bring in the fans.

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

That comes from the Fury themselves, and of course they're going to say that for PR purposes. Daglish said that when he was coach in Ottawa for instance. They're not going to play up the fact they're an official minor league affiliate for an MLS franchise and that they have to give minutes to  the parent teams players. That won't exactly bring in the fans.

Those were my exact thoughts originally, but it has ended up not being the case. Ever since the announcement of the affiliation, I have seen little to no evidence of any preferential treatment of Impact players. When players were good, they played. When they aren't as good, they've stayed on the bench.

A perfect example is Maxime Crépeau, who actually started his only season in Ottawa as the backup to Callum Irving, only to take over the top job when Irving faulted in his first few matches.

Again. I was not a fan of the affiliation announcement. Deep down, I still wish it didn't exist, as I would prefer for the Fury to develop their own players and transfer them upwards from here. But to say that the Fury has turned into an MLS minor-league franchise is flat wrong.

If accurate, my guess would be it's younger players like the Belgian goalkeeper in Winnipeg that are viewed as the issue in terms of taking away playing time from Canadians that could just as easily be developed. Personally think they should cut back the number of imports to three and go for quality rather than quantity with experienced older players that can raise the overall level of play in an Escalante and Malonga sort of way and pass on their experience to their younger Canadian teammates.

3 hours ago, SadOnMondays said:

Seems odd. I think the international players on the whole have been pretty good and well selected

???  You havnt watched Valour this season i take it??  For all the tweaks they could be making this doesnt seem to be a pressing one.  I dont know if anyone (anyone reasonable) would try and argue that there wasnt enough young CDN content on display this year.  Maybe they are adding a "no grandfather" clause, no import over 30..ie no retirement league rule or a Logans run rule for you older folk.  Just to further deliniate our league from certain other leagues that we definatley are not and should not compete with.  

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I really hope this does not happen. The Canadian content rules ensure that Canadian players are being developed. Let the coaches decide how to use those limited international places for the betterment of their team.

More options for coaches will make for a more interesting league. Let us not forget that this league is for the fans too.

Interesting.  Could argue the discrimination in either direction, younger/older, if it really does happen and I have my doubts that is even possible.  

Are CPL rules generous enough (for want of a better phrase) that should a non-Canadian residing in Canada still quality as a domestic player under certain circumstances?  Refugee status, perm. residency, that sort of thing.  That would be the one portion of the population that I would worry for if the decision was made to put up age based restrictions. 

If the CPL wants to throw up roadblock against internatiional players I don't think new, or soon to be new Canadians, are the intentional target of those sorts of rules.   

Just to point out, HFX Wanderers has been criticized for having so many internationals.

But it hasn't helped at all, they are last place. Pacific FC has done better even though they have relied heavily on young Canadians.

There are two wins separating 3rd from 7th. I think that's a pretty balanced league. No surprise that Cavalry and Forge are a cut above the rest as they have the owners with the deepest pockets. I think they're just as good as the Fury, who I'd love to see join the league in a couple of years. The baseline has been set and now we can start tracking metrics on a season per season basis.

Edited by Initial B

2 hours ago, fil said:

overall table 

Cavalry 62 points 
Forge 56
York 34
FC Edmonton 32
Pacific FC 31
Valour 28
HFX Wanderers 28

You have Valour and HFX backwards. Valour have a goal difference of minus 22 to HFX's minus 14.

Edited by Lofty

24 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You have Valour and HFX backwards. Valour have a goal difference of minus 22 to HFX's minus 14.

The first tiebreaker is total wins, not goal difference

On 10/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, Cheeta said:

Interesting.  Could argue the discrimination in either direction, younger/older, if it really does happen and I have my doubts that is even possible.  

Are CPL rules generous enough (for want of a better phrase) that should a non-Canadian residing in Canada still quality as a domestic player under certain circumstances?  Refugee status, perm. residency, that sort of thing...

The domestic player category covers everybody with citizenship or PR and refugee status as they are all part of the Canadian workforce regardless of what national team they may be aligned with. Foreign players are anybody who needs a temporary work visa so it's a lot easier to add an age requirement in that context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm interested to see if any of the 5 other teams can surpass Cavalry and Forge.

Me too. York 9 looks like the have the most potential. I'm wondering if Cavalry and Forge will end up losing some players? I think that could potentially level the playing field. 

1 hour ago, SadOnMondays said:

Me too. York 9 looks like the have the most potential. I'm wondering if Cavalry and Forge will end up losing some players? I think that could potentially level the playing field. 

Borges is rumoured to have opportunities in the January transfer window.  He’s leading the league in goals and co leading in assists.  

Undoubtedly losing him would be difficult for Forge to replace and help bring them back to the pack.

I was at the TFC game last night (thrilling game, most fun I’ve had at a TFC game) and I kept thinking they would be much better with Borges on the wing.