Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Mr Duane Rockerbie ''they won the gold cup I think in 1994 or so...''' lol

Some of what he said about the CSL was also a bit dubious. There was a 5 year contract with TSN and a level of exposure on SportsCentre that CanPL execs would probably be willing to kill for and some reasonably high profile sponsors like Hyundai (?) and Mita. There was also some sort of deal with Umbro and the teams tended to have strong local sponsors. The Steelers even had their own beer, which is still on the go in the Hamilton area last I checked. The league had its faults for sure and made it's fair share of mistakes, but his description leaves the impression that they weren't hustling as hard as they could to make it work and that's a bit unfair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some of what he said about the CSL was also a bit dubious. There was a 5 year contract with TSN and a level of exposure on SportsCentre that CanPL execs would probably be willing to kill for and some reasonably high profile sponsors like Hyundai (?) and Mita. There was also some sort of deal with Umbro and the teams tended to have strong local sponsors. The Steelers even had their own beer, which is still on the go in the Hamilton area last I checked. The league had its faults for sure and made it's fair share of mistakes, but his description leaves the impression that they weren't hustling as hard as they could to make it work and that's a bit unfair.

CSL didn't have a CSB or SUM to diversify their revenues like MLS or CPL is doing, I think that was his main point

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bit that seemed off to me on that was when he seemed to talk about CSB potentially having rights to 2026 in some way? As far as I am aware the broadcasting rights have already been awarded to CTV, TSN and RDS as part of moving Qatar 2022 to the winter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/sports/soccer/fox-and-telemundo-to-show-world-cup-through-2026-as-fifa-extends-contracts.html

...FIFA also extended its deal to 2026 in Canada with CTV and TSN...

It's not clear that the package the CSA has signed over to CSB for 10 years is actually going to be worth very much once it's split ten ways (if the league expands out to where he envisages) and Mediapro have had their pound of flesh.

The 2026 portion was the least convincing part of the interview, but seems to be what drives the ten year commitment. 50% CMNT players from CanPL by that point? Not without a much higher salary cap, so is he still thinking in terms of an older strategy that slowly got downscaled? Think we need more players following the Alphonso Davies career trajectory and fewer than 50% in MLS let alone CanPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people here supporters of this league? Or are they just here to overanalyze every minute aspect of the league while people like me try and make it work with our wallets? 

If you claim to be a supporter of this league, and you are not contributing to the financial health of the league via spending your money on the product (whether it be tickets, merchandise, a subscription to OneSoccer, etc), then you are a part of the problem. End of story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

If you claim to be a supporter of this league, and you are not contributing to the financial health of the league via spending your money on the product (whether it be tickets, merchandise, a subscription to OneSoccer, etc), then you are a part of the problem. End of story. 

There are plenty of people who financially support the league but also have concerns/criticisms about some aspects of it. This isn't a zero sum game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...because they overspent on older players that subsequently got injured or underperformed? He doesn't leave any room for doubt that it's the league that holds the contracts. Well worth a listen. 

I am pretty sure I heard from the FC Edmonton staff before the season that the club holds the contracts. I am not saying for sure I am right, but instead saying there is conflicting reports. In the end, I am pretty sure that the CPL falls somewhere in the middle of MLS and open system, which honestly is the best we can get in North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The way he stated that the original plan was no more than 10 teams and was quite dismissive of expansion to 16 teams by 2026 suggests there have been different strategies proposed for the league along the way and that his vision of where things would go wasn't necessarily the same as the one Paul Beirne and David Clanachan were pushing last year and the year before, which talked up a rapid rate of expansion and having two divisions.

There definitely seemed to be a push to talk up having clubs and eventual pro/rel as opposed to franchises and single entity when the league was launching. The question now is how much actual substance there was to any of that in terms of the league's legal structure in ownership terms, because Duane Rockerbie definitely makes the league sound like an MLS clone on single entity. Will be interesting to see if his assertions get contradicted by anyone from the league or Onesoccer over the next few days, or whether this podcast interview and the tweet about playoffs from Thomas Nef (?) are signalling a change in direction post-Paul Beirne.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BFBF said:

I am pretty sure I heard from the FC Edmonton staff before the season that the club holds the contracts. I am not saying for sure I am right, but instead saying there is conflicting reports. In the end, I am pretty sure that the CPL falls somewhere in the middle of MLS and open system, which honestly is the best we can get in North America.

CPL is a club owned league and not single entity, clubs own the players, this has been gone over before and stated by the league itself.

CPL is not like single entity MLS but follows the international club model basically as its league model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go league go! I’ve always found it so odd when fans talk about supporting the league. I understand the sentiment, but the language does not promote competition or excitement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

CPL is a club owned league and not single entity, clubs own the players, this has been gone over before and stated by the league itself.

CPL is not like single entity MLS but follows the international club model basically as its league model.

Why should we believe you and not Duane Rockerbie? There have been some strong indications that CPL could be single entity. Why are club related trademarks held by CanPL's holding company, for example, and not by the private investors? Why is there a single kit deal with Macron? Why are stadium naming rights and shirt sponsors handled by CSB rather than by the clubs? Why was David Clanachan talking about a player draft at one point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Why should we believe you and not Duane Rockerbie? There have been some strong indications that CPL could be single entity. Why are club related trademarks held by CanPL's holding company, for example, and not by the private investors? Why is there a single kit deal with Macron? Why are stadium naming rights and shirt sponsors handled by CSB rather than by the clubs? Why was David Clanachan talking about a player draft at one point?

Duane Rockerbie is not a CSB or CPL employee. The host sounded surprised at some of the things he said.

His analysis is very interesting but we still have to go with what the league says ultimately.

I also thought that the clubs held players contracts and not the league. FC Edmonton said many time that they like an "independent" system.

CPL borrowed many aspects from MLS I think but they haven't copied everything they did. They found their own formula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody who isn't an employee is more likely to be candid.There could be some significant differences from MLS, so what paid employees have said isn't necessarily contradictory to what Duane Rockerbie is saying in this podcast. For example, there have been no MLS style trades so far. If that's not possible during the season and/or without a player's permission it could be viewed as being a club format even if the league is holding all the contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Blackjack15 said:

 

Not a fan of this. Forge were favourites at season start but after that it really was a toss up and an unknown. I think most of the playing rosters were evenly stacked. Some teams/players/coaches have seriously underperformed, thats nothing to do with the system. Is there no financial gain to finishing higher up the league? Don't hate the game hate the player on this occasion imo. 

Despite being very sceptical about the Spring/Fall seasons I actually really liked it. I liked that there was a reboot for clubs that didn't get their **** together and when they were out of the running it gave them the chance to be tactical and blood in youngsters, play with formations and think about he fall season. I agree it must be frustrating being out of the Fall season but there are things like professional pride, playing for the fans and also being potential roadblocks for a top 2/3 team that can still change the title race. 

A playoff with this few teams is silly and a slap in the face for the best two teams to jump through extra hurdles. If they go this route I assumer the Spring/Fall seasons will be scrapped as there is no point having two winners if they don't get any bonus or advantage in playoffs. If it is a longer season and it played out like this one it also looks silly with the best two teams in the table adrift of the rest. 

If you have to get creative have a 3rd place playoff or something and boost the pot for 3rd. If the product is good, the atmosphere and game day event is meaningful for fans and the outreach is there in the community the crowd will grow and continue to support the team. Fix that. We don't always have to revert to participation medals for all and pat on the back to make them feel better when they underperformed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you went 1 vs winner of 2vs3, with 2 getting home field and same with 1, that would keep the top 4 maybe 5 teams hopping until the final weeks.  1 game winner takes all so the homefield advantage means something.  And its only 1 more layer (but same time frame),  1 extra team making the playoffs, same number of games/season ends at same time than what we have now.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I think Hamilton and Calgary look to be a step above all the rest and deserve to meet in the finals. 

However that being said over the past several weeks I have lost interest in the league as there really isn't much else to lay for til the finals. I mean I still go to the games - I still enjoy the games. However there is something missing the lack of meaning does hurt the atmosphere and the excitement.

Attendance seems to have dipped most places in the past several weeks. Is this due to lack of a playoff format or is it just due to people not buy into the league? Maybe a bit or both? Possibly neither? Hard to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valour's attendance has fallen the most. FCE & PFC have fallen a bit. Y9 is up but from a small base. HFX is also up a bit. Forge & Cavalry are close to flat.

I don't want playoff expansion now as it would make a lot of the regular season matches not that meaningful. Less meaning leads to less passion & humdrum atmosphere. It means less intensity on the pitch which as Klinnsman & Euro MLS players have said leads to a too much of a comfortable playing experience that leads to a reality check in international competitions.

Clubs like PFC, FCE & Y9 were already hurting for atmosphere & excitement - not as well managed on and off the pitch. Being in the playoffs papers over their flaws maybe for a bit but not a viable solution.

But Canada Soccer should be assigning Cdn Championship seeding based on CPL standings. Going to a 1 leg competition would also add home advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red card said:

Valour's attendance has fallen the most. FCE & PFC have fallen a bit. Y9 is up but from a small base. HFX is also up a bit. Forge & Cavalry are close to flat.

This pattern is likely to repeat for Valour. Spring is definitely the best time for attendance. July/Aug is cottage season and after that the weather can be a disincentive. Having a winning team would also make a difference.

Valour's average is likely to be down a bit next year as it will lose the inaugural season curiosity bump but that will not be a reason for concern unless the drop is large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think 100% they should implement a playoff of 4 teams. Without pro/rel it's totally necessary.

They should reward a reg season title with a Concacaf league spot assuming there will be multiple. I think home away semi and 1 off final would be the best

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...