1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I vote no.   

However, it may be necessary as the league grows.  You're not going to have a balanced schedule anyway once the league gets up there in team numbers so adding a small playoff tourney at season's end could be fun while extending the season a few weeks.  

Hell, could get the playoff tourney sponsored by someone.  Top 4 teams qualify.  That way you can divorce it from the league and maybe satisfy those who aren't fans of the idea.  

Just so long as the league champion is justly rewarded I'm good either way.  Entering Voyageur's Cup with the MLS teams (the CCL slot/qualifier slot if CPL ever gets one) some serious prize money, both, use your imagination. 

Are you talking about the CONCACAF League spot that CPL already has?

If there was a playoff, what do people think about that single CONCACAF League spot? Should it go to the regular season champs or to the playoff champs?

I have a feeling that we might end up with 2 CONCACAF League spots, sooner rather than later.

It would be easy for CONCACAF to expand the tournament from 22 to 24.

I actually like the split format now (just need to be equal with some kind of shield for each seasons)

In that case

CPL champion ---> CONCACAF League round of 16

CPL finalist -->CONCACAF League round of 16 qualifiers 

* Whenever CONCACAF decides to revise the Champions league format, CPL will get their spot

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I vote no.   

However, it may be necessary as the league grows.  You're not going to have a balanced schedule anyway once the league gets up there in team numbers so adding a small playoff tourney at season's end could be fun while extending the season a few weeks.  

Hell, could get the playoff tourney sponsored by someone.  Top 4 teams qualify.  That way you can divorce it from the league and maybe satisfy those who aren't fans of the idea.  

Just so long as the league champion is justly rewarded I'm good either way.  Entering Voyageur's Cup with the MLS teams (the CCL slot/qualifier slot if CPL ever gets one) some serious prize money, both, use your imagination. 

Just curious how you plan to extend the season. Massive heat machine to melt the snow faster in the spring or massive tarpaulin to hold off the snow in the autumn? You do know that prayer isn't guaranteed?

So long as the season is done by early October a two week playoff isn't too dangerous as far as weather is concerned.  Really do have to keep the league fixutes down though.  You're not playing a 36 match league season along with cup fixtures and then a couple of weeks of playoffs before late October.  

1 hour ago, yothat2 said:

#off-topic

Would this be a good idea to grow the CPL brand in the states

Purchase the old NASL twitter and re-brand as another CPL highlights or an expansion franchise new account. Would gain access to 48k twitter soccer fans.

https://twitter.com/naslofficial?lang=en

To what end?  I highly doubt we are going to capture the attention of many US soccer fans.  And even if we do...?

Better to focus on growing the game and brand here in Canada.

Yes those players who wanted to return to university had to be on developmental contracts.  Looks like the league has extended this to signing youth players, i'm sure I saw this term used with another player, don't remember which one.

22 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes those players who wanted to return to university had to be on developmental contracts.  Looks like the league has extended this to signing youth players, i'm sure I saw this term used with another player, don't remember which one.

Think Victor Loturi of the Cavalry was the first non-Usports developmental signing.

36 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I think they have used that for those emergency keeper signings

Interesting article

Don Garber throwing a "warning/threat" at the CSA:

“I am excited about the development of the CPL,” Garber said. “But we do need to work together to figure [things] out. The Canadian Soccer Association needs to figure out how they’re going to engage with Major League Soccer teams that are investing millions and millions and millions of dollars per team, not including what they’ve invested in their academies and in their infrastructure, to ensure that that investment is going to help develop the Canadian player, and help justify the investment that they are making, otherwise that investment is going to go away, because right now, it’s not making that much sense.”

It sounds like he's trying to get the CSA to somewhat influence CPL into becoming an MLS feeder. That's how I'm interpreting this, which in my opinion is a clumsy way to go at it.

I've been reading some complaints from Impact and Whitecaps fans claiming that CSA is blocking them from adding USL reserve teams. Is that true?

I thought they already tried that and gave up?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've been reading some complaints from Impact and Whitecaps fans claiming that CSA is blocking them from adding USL reserve teams. Is that true?

I thought they already tried that and gave up?

There's a moratorium on the sanction of new clubs in USSF leagues by the CSA. Nothing is stopping Montreal to add a club in PLSQ while the Whitecaps should focus on helping BC Soccer to successfully launch their D3 league

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

Hi Don, maybe you can start by not discriminating against Canadian players in your own league? OK? Thanks.

Score.

Boils down plain & simple.  Right there.  100%.

Seems a bit early in the day for MLS to be worrying about Canadian players looking at the real development opportunities the CPL can offer them when compared to MLS.

This is a Tony Soprano/ganster move.  Youse guys better let Vancouver start a USL team in canada (even though they shut it down on their own saying it was TOO EXPENSIVE, and montreal shut theirs down on their own as well), or there will be trouble!  And dont start causing trouble for Ottawa or TFC2...its our turf..back off!   Or if you watch the WIRE....Avon needs his corners!!!  

"to ensure that that investment is going to help develop the Canadian player"

I assume he meant "American" when he said Canadian. Why would the MLS teams want to develop Canadian players when they are playing in an American league, with their reserves in an American league, and their youth teams in an American league? They quite clearly are not interested in Canadian players.

Vancouver has done better in this regard this year, but here are the combined number of starts over the last 5 games for TFC.
Canadian players: 2
American players: 29
Other players: 24

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And dont start causing trouble for Ottawa or TFC2

Maybe he's heard of future sanctioning decisions...

TFC II: Being relegated to D3 from D2 doesn't justify an exception anymore. Ontario has a D3 as well.

Ottawa: There's an entire thread on why it makes no sense

I honestly think they aren't happy that they are no longer the only game in town.

Plus perhaps the CPL has shown the tweener' type players that MLS is not a good route to be in.

I wonder about a player like David, who apparently was approached by all 3 MLS teams. I wonder if they would make him rot on the bench too.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder about a player like David, who apparently was approached by all 3 MLS teams. I wonder if they would make him rot on the bench too.

Exactly why I felt that Zachary Brault Guillard loan to MLS was a bad move. He's been glued to the bench which cost him his spot to Laryea on the National team

Edited by Ansem

On 9/15/2019 at 6:24 AM, Winnipeg Fury said:

CPL needs to look at having play-offs.  

The die-hards may not care, but the general sporting public does.

LOL, "the general sporting public" doesn't give a toss about soccer and certainly will not be brought in to the love of the game by watching a playoff system that narrows down from seven teams to, what, four? I mean how do you even add playoffs to a league of seven ******* teams?!?! FFS seven teams is less than the number that enter the MLS Conference playoffs!

That's why we have this stupid Spring & Fall season. (BTW if you want to make the league look ridiculous to, "the general sporting public" talk about a "Fall Season" that starts in July.)  We have a "final" between the spring and fall "winners" that is pandering to this need for a "cup final" without a cup competition.

I mean basically playoffs are simply a post-season cup competition where entrance and seedings are determined by league results....

Hmmmm... what if we had a regular season of home and home which then loads the post season "league cup" (aka playoffs) based on place in the the normal rankings?

Round one (home and away, aggregate score):
M1: First gets a bye 
M2: Second v Seventh
M3: Third v Sixth
M4: Fourth v Fifth

Semifinals (home and away, aggregate score):
M5: First v winner M2
M6: winner M3 v winner M4

Finals (home and away, aggregate score)

At some point I would expect a second Champions League place to be added and that the League Champion and the League Cup winner would both get a spot with the second place league finisher given the spot if a team won "the double". 

Ugh, I feel dirty for endorsing any sort of playoff system but if we call it a League Cup competition I can't really complain. LOL