CPL General

5 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

^ Good answer :)

I still think that at this point in the CPL's development, Herdman should be selecting the best player in terms of talent. 

He's filling holes. Borges is the best player in the CPL but he realistically has no shot at playing with all the depth Canada has in his position.

Didic might be needed given the dearth of defenders available.

1 hour ago, SadOnMondays said:

I think Calvary and Forge would likely be the bottom teams in the SPL, but probably wouldn't be rolled every game and would win some matches. I agree with Duane Rollins in principle, maybe Millar shouldn't be a given while every CPL player is a long shot for selection. 

Slightly OT, how can Herdman select Didic over Zator? It's madness. For that matter, why is Didic in the team over Borges even?

Calling it madness is a bit over the top. I think the position of best Canadian CB in the Canpl is very much up for debate. At least 5 players have a case: Zator, Didic, Gasparotto, Trafford, and Edgar. Zator, Didic, and Gasparotto get the most attention because they are younger. And I think if you put Didic and Gasparotto on Cavalry with the protection of the best defensive midfield in the league both CBs would also look very good. It really is a toss up right now, and until one of them takes a step up into a higher league I don't think there will be an obvious choice. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them get a callups in the next year.

2 hours ago, SadOnMondays said:

I agree with Duane Rollins in principle, maybe Millar shouldn't be a given while every CPL player is a long shot for selection. 

I was going to say you can't say this. But the person who would take offence, doesn't come to this side of the forum lol. So you're safe!

Ultimately I think it should come down to form + stats = call-up, but I understand that it's not that easy calculate. 

Edited by Shway

Millar has a couple things going for him outside of league quality. He can play both wing and CF. Borges really only would play on the wing for the national team. He also has a bit of a boost just due to the fact that he is on loan from Liverpool. 

Additionally, I don't think Millar is a guarantee for every callup. For this one in particular, with no Larin they need extra cover at CF. Borges will get called soon I am sure. 

14 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Additionally, I don't think Millar is a guarantee for every callup. For this one in particular, with no Larin they need extra cover at CF. Borges will get called soon I am sure. 

Reality is he has been a guarantee... Without warrant, but hey I know nothing. 

Ultimately there has to be a bar that is clear for all players to meet to warrant a national team call. Right now it's all sketchy. 

Bobby Smyrniotis previews the CPL Finals “They’re distinct matches” listen to the full press conference here ⤵️

Amer Didic on being the second player from the League to get called to the CanMNT “It’s interesting they’re both from Alberta” listen here for the rest ⤵️ 

INTERVIEW WITH DUANE ROCKERBIE, PhD Sports Economics, University of Lethbridge 

The guy who did the feasibility of a Division 2 league back in 2010. (Easton Report)

https://northern90.ca/2019-season/how-the-canpl-came-to-be-with-dr-duane-rockerbie/

His thoughts on CPL and if it can succeed.

VERY ENLIGHTENING 

•Talks about why CSL failed. 

Bums in the seats should be less than half of revenues. Have to diversify revenues...hence the CSL failed... like some posters here...they were "obsessed" about attendance and ticket sales mainly 

•Legacy of CSL and consequences of folding

•Reminded that MLS almost failed and how it was saved

•The importance of CSB, the business model. 

•According to him, CPL functions as a single entity & owns players contracts

•Mediapro and Broadcasters 

•Profile of ownership, FIFA helping the league, Investors being attracted to the league, more than we know.

•2026 being massive in helping promoting CPL as we approach the World Cup. 

•What should CPL do by 2026? 

•Says 10 teams by 2026 is a success, 16 teams is optimistic and danger of dilution of talent

•Database of players

•Stability of the league, private ownership allows teams to leave whenever, can't do that in CPL as it is set up now.

•CPL must be complementary to MLS and Liga MX, not try to compete 

•Optimistic that the way CPL is set up, it will succeed 

Edited by Ansem

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

•According to him, CPL functions as a single entity & owns players contracts

IncomingBaby.jpg

17:30 onwards he definitely describes the single entity structure of the league in terms of emulating what Don Garber did to save MLS.

Talks about TSN etc not being interested etc, but that could change.

23:00 Ten year commitment gets mentioned. Sounds like they are expecting a lot from the World Cup.

27:30 Initial plans no more than 10 teams. No plans to go up to 30 teams. Pours cold water on 15 or 16 teams. Not a lot of big markets.

29:30 again talks about problems with private ownership and decsribes why single entity makes things stable.

30:00 complementary to MLS etc

Very different from some of things we have been led to believe (including by Paul Beirne and David Clanachan) and leaves me feeling significantly more optimistic assuming it's accurate, because single entity is definitely the sensible way to go on something like this.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Not sure I buy single entity. At least when it comes to player contracts. Otherwise why would Pacific go with such young players if not to make selling them a part of their business model. If they don't get all the proceeds, like the MLS, then there is no incentive.

6 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Not sure I buy single entity. At least when it comes to player contracts. Otherwise why would Pacific go with such young players if not to make selling them a part of their business model. If they don't get all the proceeds, like the MLS, then there is no incentive.

I dont think it's a copy/paste from the MLS model but CPL undeniably borrowed many elements from MLS which makes sense.

CPL still has his "own" structure in my opinion. Let's not forget that he was a consultant and he's giving his opinions and expertise. At the end of the day, he's not an employee of CSB or CanPL

Edited by Ansem

48 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Not sure I buy single entity. At least when it comes to player contracts. Otherwise why would Pacific go with such young players if not to make selling them a part of their business model....

...because they overspent on older players that subsequently got injured or underperformed? He doesn't leave any room for doubt that it's the league that holds the contracts. Well worth a listen. 

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Mr Duane Rockerbie ''they won the gold cup I think in 1994 or so...''' lol

Some of what he said about the CSL was also a bit dubious. There was a 5 year contract with TSN and a level of exposure on SportsCentre that CanPL execs would probably be willing to kill for and some reasonably high profile sponsors like Hyundai (?) and Mita. There was also some sort of deal with Umbro and the teams tended to have strong local sponsors. The Steelers even had their own beer, which is still on the go in the Hamilton area last I checked. The league had its faults for sure and made it's fair share of mistakes, but his description leaves the impression that they weren't hustling as hard as they could to make it work and that's a bit unfair.

14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some of what he said about the CSL was also a bit dubious. There was a 5 year contract with TSN and a level of exposure on SportsCentre that CanPL execs would probably be willing to kill for and some reasonably high profile sponsors like Hyundai (?) and Mita. There was also some sort of deal with Umbro and the teams tended to have strong local sponsors. The Steelers even had their own beer, which is still on the go in the Hamilton area last I checked. The league had its faults for sure and made it's fair share of mistakes, but his description leaves the impression that they weren't hustling as hard as they could to make it work and that's a bit unfair.

CSL didn't have a CSB or SUM to diversify their revenues like MLS or CPL is doing, I think that was his main point

Edited by Ansem

The bit that seemed off to me on that was when he seemed to talk about CSB potentially having rights to 2026 in some way? As far as I am aware the broadcasting rights have already been awarded to CTV, TSN and RDS as part of moving Qatar 2022 to the winter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/sports/soccer/fox-and-telemundo-to-show-world-cup-through-2026-as-fifa-extends-contracts.html

...FIFA also extended its deal to 2026 in Canada with CTV and TSN...

It's not clear that the package the CSA has signed over to CSB for 10 years is actually going to be worth very much once it's split ten ways (if the league expands out to where he envisages) and Mediapro have had their pound of flesh.

The 2026 portion was the least convincing part of the interview, but seems to be what drives the ten year commitment. 50% CMNT players from CanPL by that point? Not without a much higher salary cap, so is he still thinking in terms of an older strategy that slowly got downscaled? Think we need more players following the Alphonso Davies career trajectory and fewer than 50% in MLS let alone CanPL.

Are people here supporters of this league? Or are they just here to overanalyze every minute aspect of the league while people like me try and make it work with our wallets? 

If you claim to be a supporter of this league, and you are not contributing to the financial health of the league via spending your money on the product (whether it be tickets, merchandise, a subscription to OneSoccer, etc), then you are a part of the problem. End of story.