On 9/4/2019 at 7:38 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Perhaps they could do it in a way where you still play teams from the other conference but twice a year.

By the time we have enough teams to split into regions we have enough teams to simply play each team once at home and once away so splitting is totally unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

By the time we have enough teams to split into regions we have enough teams to simply play each team once at home and once away so splitting is totally unnecessary. 

What would be the point of them splitting regions if it’s a balanced schedule? 

2 hours ago, ted said:

The point is that in the interim, when there are 10-12 teams, what sort of season do you propose? 

You do not even need divisions, you just top off schedule with regional rivals in an unbalanced schedule.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is that in the interim, when there are 10-12 teams, what sort of season do you propose? 

You do not even need divisions, you just top off schedule with regional rivals in an unbalanced schedule.

We can do all weekend games without needing to have this mythical "balance" of an even number of teams. For league competition a 7-team league that plays every weekend would see each team get a week off every 7th week. How is that any worse than the current schedule?

We could run that cycle twice for an 14-week week schedule for the 7 teams where every team plays home and away twice. That schedule could be extended by international breaks and a cup competition. 

8 or 9 teams and we move cup games to midweek.

10-12 teams and we reduce down to the PROPER way to run a soccer league: play every team ONE time at home and ONE time away during the season. ;)

Edited by ted
fixed math

Just now, RS said:

Move what cup games to midweek? Vs Cup is already midweek.

In my proposal they would be on weekends to start with as we would have the weekends available in a 7-9 team league.

We need more games period.

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Forge comes close with 36, if they make the final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

I agree with more games.

I would add extending the number of months played too which would give sufficient rest time, most importantly...move more games to the weekends as they draw more fans than weekdays.

I mean, MLS has told Montreal they must play games at home in March like TFC did...(february due to Champions league).

CPL should start a month earlier....end of March instead of end of April. Have the games in BC and Southern Ontario as much as possible and avoid the prairies in March

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not unless roster size increases. Pacific barely scraped by for most of this season

Edited by Aird25

20 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Not unless roster size increases. Pacific barely scraped by for most of this season

Pacific doesn't fill their roster currently. I doubt that adding more available spots would change that too much

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Pacific doesn't fill their roster currently. I doubt that adding more available spots would change that too much

I think they do once the two incoming players finally get their paper work done. It's a pretty good squad too. I'm glad they didn't panic after the early season injuries. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm not getting this call for more league matches.  To my mind, given the length of our playing season and participation in cup fixtures high twentys-low thirties seems to be the ceiling if we're to have a salary capped league.  Regardless of the number of teams in the league.  I love (really love) the idea of a balanced schedule but when this venture gets to 10,11, 12 teams (and it well) the scheduling is going to get awkward. 

In my perfect world match spacing would be more consistant.  I'm sure that would be part of the CPL's perfect world to but with Forge and Valour sharing venues that just adds to the difficult come high summer and into the fall.   

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The CPL season is restricted to 6 months and you have to allow dates for the extra matches Forge and Cavalry might have played had they kept winning in CL and VCup respectively.

I'm sure the CPL has worked out how many matches need to be played to generate enough revenue and 26-30 league matches seems about right to me although I am just guessing.

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think they do once the two incoming players finally get their paper work done. It's a pretty good squad too. I'm glad they didn't panic after the early season injuries. 

They always seemed to be building towards next year at the minimum rather than this year. Hopefully we see their attendance go up as they are a pretty fun team to watch and play in a beautiful stadium

On 9/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Cheeta said:

I'm not getting this call for more league matches.  To my mind, given the length of our playing season and participation in cup fixtures high twentys-low thirties seems to be the ceiling if we're to have a salary capped league.  Regardless of the number of teams in the league.  I love (really love) the idea of a balanced schedule but when this venture gets to 10,11, 12 teams (and it well) the scheduling is going to get awkward. 

In my perfect world match spacing would be more consistant.  I'm sure that would be part of the CPL's perfect world to but with Forge and Valour sharing venues that just adds to the difficult come high summer and into the fall.   

Agreed - how many times can you play the same six teams in one season?

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

CPL needs to look at having play-offs.  

The die-hards may not care, but the general sporting public does.

I fully expect them to increase the number of playoff teams as the league size increases. Just like MLS does. 

I vote no.   

However, it may be necessary as the league grows.  You're not going to have a balanced schedule anyway once the league gets up there in team numbers so adding a small playoff tourney at season's end could be fun while extending the season a few weeks.  

Hell, could get the playoff tourney sponsored by someone.  Top 4 teams qualify.  That way you can divorce it from the league and maybe satisfy those who aren't fans of the idea.  

Just so long as the league champion is justly rewarded I'm good either way.  Entering Voyageur's Cup with the MLS teams (the CCL slot/qualifier slot if CPL ever gets one) some serious prize money, both, use your imagination.