7 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Just noticed that the CanPL now has an official import beer,  Estrella Damm.

Moosehead is carrying it on their catalogue and must be distributing it in Canada, under some sort of agreement.

My personal opinion is that it is the absolutely worst Spanish beer available, there is nothing below it. I hardly ever drank it as it gave me an immediate headache, probably from some additive stabilizer or anti-oxidant. 

They are one of the top standard trade beers in Spain, along with Cruzcampo, Mahou, San Miguel, all of which are superior. Even their own high test (Voll Damm) and other products are much better. The gluten free Daura is quite good, the bottled IPA. 

I can slag it all I want, I happen to work with the people designing the brand packaging for export, and also taps for British pubs, but I am not sure for the Canadian market.

Posted (edited)

As many figured it would as the CPL grows, the salary cap going up for 2020 and possible introduction of a DP type rule is good news. Quality and stature of the country's Division 1 Canadian Premier League will continue to rise just like the MLS did for the United States.

Will be exciting to see how the CPL has grown in 10 years from its somewhat humble beginnings.

From the article :

"Here it’s all first level, the courts, the stadiums, the training sessions. They did well from the beginning and you can see that it is going to grow. We played two weeks ago against the Montreal Impact of the MLS, for the Canadian Championship, and we were eliminated by a penalty, so there’s not that much differerence."

The burgeoning league has been criticized for not revealing the ceiling height the salary cap it imposes on each Canadian Premier League club, which has been rumoured to be under a million dollars. Interestingly, Gattas indicates that not only is salary cap going to go up in the 2020 season, but the league may implement a designated player-type system akin to the MLS which would allow one (and, in the future, more) players to exceed the salary cap:

"Look, the league started with some budgets, I don’t know the amount, like the MLS, the same for all the teams. Next year it’s going to go up and the idea is that one player per team can get out of that budget, then two and grow, to bring those figures who come back, but have a name and attract the public."

Edited by CDNFootballer

Was no one listening when they did that pre-launch cross country tour, taking the pulse of the grassroots as it were?

No, for Gawds sake no.  Raise the cap as is deemed fit but no effing DP rule.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, keep a player a player.  No hyphen or prefix necessary.  Enough of this Nanny State crap.  Just trust the clubs to do what they feel is right by them and let them compete.  

I hate to be a debbie downer, but the part about the cap growing doesn't mean much without knowing how much it will go up. If it is 2 or 3%, that's just a standard raise for employees in any business to offset inflation. If it's 5%, 10%, then that's significant.

It's still nice to hear. I'd rather a more aggressive expansion of the salary cap than a DP rule, but at the same time, it would be pretty cool to see Hutch in the league even if it meant he had to come in under a DP rule.

I’m actually ok with a DP player rule... for the short to immediate term that is.

This is me dreaming but getting Pavel Nedved or Totti out of retirement would have me like....

excited family guy GIF

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

I’m actually ok with a DP player rule... for the short to immediate term that is.

This is me dreaming but getting Pavel Nedved or Totti out of retirement would have me like....

excited family guy GIF

I think it would do more harm than good to resuscitate a career that ended 10 years ago.

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's a kiss lyric. So I was on the same assumption as @BuzzAndSting. 

Still weird. Think they would have picked a Canadian Band. The Shannom Tweed link doesn't count. Unless its announcing the sask team lol.

It's also the name of their current tour.

I noticed that the "reveal" (whatever it is) happens tomorrow, when KISS are set to play in Toronto. I've also taken a look at their touring calendar and noticed that they don't have anything for early November, sooooooooo . . . 

All jokes aside, locking down a big name to perform during halftime of the CPL Championship would be a smart way to attract extra sponsors, broadcasters, viewers and attendance...

If I'm CPL, I work on making this happen.

Worth every penny of investment

Ummm.  Don't really think KISS speaks to the typical CPL crowd in quite the same way as it might to, say, a CFL crowd.

Just guessing.  Maybe they're huge with under 50 somethings.

Yeah, my concern right away was weather the fans will care. But I suppose if they get some crowd fillers to come out on the field in front of the band and have them bouncing around then it should look ok for the cameras, even if many of the fans at the game are getting concessions.

14 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

If only Patrick Stewart were the narrator.

I was thinking Ron Howard, but Captain Picard also works.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Narrator: "They are not."

Kiss is my band. Hopefully they play "Goin Blind" 😄

lulz, I'm messing around. Even though I do like the song "Goin Blind"....the Melvins version that is....Kiss is not really my thing. 🤨

1 hour ago, RS said:

I was thinking Ron Howard, but Captain Picard also works.

More like Morgan Freeman: "The CPL opted to go with Kiss thinking it would bring out the desired demographics....but unfortunately only the boomers showed up."

Edited by Macksam