Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Larson highlights

Players salary cap under 1 million

Venues are main stumbling block, interest is out there, Missisauga, lower mainland, Saskatoon mentioned

Dissapointed in a certain broadcaster, but wouldnt slag anyone/burn bridges, in case there are different arrangements in the future

Not worried about low attendance, York/Pacific looking long term

Wants to grow roster  to account for injuries (23+)

Academies might be too expensive for CPL for what you get out of it/more cost effective to use L1O, quebec league etc

Edited by Bison44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Larson highlights

Players salary cap under 1 million

Venues are main stumbling block, interest is out there, Missisauga, lower mainland, Saskatoon mentioned

Dissapointed in a certain broadcaster, but wouldnt slag anyone/burn bridges, in case there are different arrangements in the future

Not worried about low attendance, York/Pacific looking long term

Wants to grow roster  to account for injuries (23+)

Academies might be too expensive for CPL for what you get out of it/more cost effective to use L1O, quebec league etc

I get this, but at the same time I am kind of liking the small rosters. MLS teams tend to have half a dozen guys that just rot and never get any playing time. I like that CPL teams don't have that deadwood. It makes it so that if you are offered a contract, you can be pretty much assured you will get chances to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

More viewers than TFC on that day?

Made my day!

But USL is a better gig for the Fury... This could have been them. My god I feel sorry for the Ottawa fans

All jokes aside.. that explains the noticeable increase in sponsors over the weeks

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

CPL competitive against USL team? Check.

CPL competitive against MLS teams? Check.

CPL competitive against Guatemalan league? Check.

Okay, who wants to take us on next?  !!! 8D

Hopefully in a week we will know that the Honduran league is next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

CPL competitive against USL team? Check.

CPL competitive against MLS teams? Check.

CPL competitive against Guatemalan league? Check.

Okay, who wants to take us on next?  !!! 8D

Say what you want about one-off results, but that really is an impressive list for a first year league. I am sure people could not-pick a few things but overall this has been an amazing year one to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

Alright, who kept hitting F5 on OneSoccer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

One million is incredible, but it leads me to ask why this is the first we've heard of it. A brand new league pulls in a million viewers, and it's not being shouted from the rooftops as soon as the ratings come in?

It's a great story that needs to be told by the league's PR arm as soon as it happens, not as a throw-away line in a column on the league website four months later.

Given how great a job the league did at building the hype for that inaugural game (which is reflected in this rating), it's a bit disappointing that they didn't take this low-hanging fruit and run with it as far as it would take them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1 million number is more likely total viewers rather than average. Hard to see 1 million watching on an early Saturday afternoon (morning in the West) - only playoffs in NHL/CFL/NFL and certain Jays games when good get 1M+ at the 1pm slot.

Counter is that it was nicely promoted on NHL playoffs and CBC does have the widest reach. People could have been driven by curiousity if flipping channels - would have taken at least 15 mins (enough to qualify for average figure) for the casual sports fan to figure out who was playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, red card said:

The 1 million number is more likely total viewers rather than average. Hard to see 1 million watching on an early Saturday afternoon (morning in the West) - only playoffs in NHL/CFL/NFL and certain Jays games when good get 1M+ at the 1pm slot.

Counter is that it was nicely promoted on NHL playoffs and CBC does have the widest reach. People could have been driven by curiousity if flipping channels - would have taken at least 15 mins (enough to qualify for average figure) for the casual sports fan to figure out who was playing.

I’ve no doubt it’s the total number, but it’s still massive for a league’s inaugural match. CPL needed to run with that hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

I think TSN must have paid for that article by the word.  The exact minimum of info reading like a 4th graders book report...."treasure island is about an island.  The island has treasure and there are pirates....thank you"

Off topic, but did any other old timers stay up to watch the game last night?? Because the feed in manitoba stayed on x-games long after the guide said it should be soccer and grumpy old man went to bed, thanks again TSN.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I think TSN must have paid for that article by the word.  The exact minimum of info reading like a 4th graders book report...."treasure island is about an island.  The island has treasure and there are pirates....thank you"

Off topic, but did any other old timers stay up to watch the game last night?? Because the feed in manitoba stayed on x-games long after the guide said it should be soccer and grumpy old man went to bed, thanks again TSN.  

Yeah. But you have done your bit. Every visit to that page indicates interest in CPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

Thank heavens that it turns out Hamilton is the true centre of the universe. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Off topic, but did any other old timers stay up to watch the game last night?? Because the feed in manitoba stayed on x-games long after the guide said it should be soccer and grumpy old man went to bed, thanks again TSN.  

It did come on eventually, but I missed the crucial moment on my PVR despite adding the additional obligatory extra 30 minutes for Canadian soccer. Should have gone with my gut and added the full hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

Thanks for the link. Yeah, in general we need to do as much of this (reading main-stream media CPL articles) as we can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Let's please stabilize the men's league first before we consider subsidizing losses for a women's league. My guess, 10-15 years is about right. 

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

And they can raise funds with the same open tryouts strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t see any money in a women’s league right now. Anyone willing to buy into one is surely going to lose money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...