The annoying thing about the points is that if you read articles on the website instead of the app, you don't get the points. Early on I was reading things on my desktop, then later that day would open up the app and see the same articles. I would click them to open them up just to get the points. Eventually I stopped going through that hassle.

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

The annoying thing about the points is that if you read articles on the website instead of the app, you don't get the points. Early on I was reading things on my desktop, then later that day would open up the app and see the same articles. I would click them to open them up just to get the points. Eventually I stopped going through that hassle.

This is my issue precisely. I spend much of my soccer-browsing time on a computer, not a phone.

45 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've said this in another thread, but the fee seems high. Which might actually mean that the One Soccer deal and other sponsorship deals are substantial.

Aldo, have you noticed how teams and the league keeps adding sponsors? 

Yes, the different revenue streams must be substantial overhaul. If investors are willing to pay it, that means that they feel it's worth their while at that price

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

The local Toronto Italian TV news program did a 3.5 minute piece on the CPL. Its mostly in Italian except for the parts with Molinaro and the Commish 

I don't understand Italian but it was still worth a watch. Clanachan spoke briefly about expansion. Said he would be happy if they can announce 1 new team this year, there are 3 or 4 further along than others, but about 18 cities/groups/clubs that they have had talks with.

So it sounds like next season there won't be more than 8 teams (and could very well be 7 still), but hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer beyond that to grow more.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't understand Italian but it was still worth a watch. Clanachan spoke briefly about expansion. Said he would be happy if they can announce 1 new team this year, there are 3 or 4 further along than others, but about 18 cities/groups/clubs that they have had talks with.

So it sounds like next season there won't be more than 8 teams (and could very well be 7 still), but hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer beyond that to grow more.

I'm getting confused by the numbers I hear sometimes - I thought there was some other interview where he said there were ~40 other groups they had talks with (seemed unbelievable at the time).  Maybe I'm just misremembering it and he said 20.

Edited by Gopherbashi

On 7/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Kent said:

speaking of points, is there somewhere that they post who won each points contest in the app?  I'd like to know if anyone I know has won.  Also, there have been almost no opportunities to redeem points as a Winnipeg fan, since the season started. Have there been more opportunities in other cities?  There were a couple of chances to redeem 5000 points for a cpl scarf, and one chance to enter for a Canada day cpl shirt, and that has been it.  I've got nearly 7000 points and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them.  There might not be any point in earning any more points.

Posted (edited)

This link might work better than the one above:

David Clanachan definitely didn't sound too upbeat (the important words to catch on that is the way he used "like" and "happy") about having an eighth team starting by next year and it's getting very late in the day for that. I would guess the three or four that are further ahead are Laval, Quebec City, Saskatoon and Langley, BC.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 hours ago, MrsC said:

speaking of points, is there somewhere that they post who won each points contest in the app?  I'd like to know if anyone I know has won.  Also, there have been almost no opportunities to redeem points as a Winnipeg fan, since the season started. Have there been more opportunities in other cities?  There were a couple of chances to redeem 5000 points for a cpl scarf, and one chance to enter for a Canada day cpl shirt, and that has been it.  I've got nearly 7000 points and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them.  There might not be any point in earning any more points.

I'm pretty sure that's been it.  I'd actually like to redeem points for something more tangible than a "chance" to win something.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ansem said:

Aldo, have you noticed how teams and the league keeps adding sponsors? 

Yes, the different revenue streams must be substantial overhaul. If investors are willing to pay it, that means that they feel it's worth their while at that price

Or it's a pyramid scheme.  Which happens in sports.  Plus, so far no expansion team has paid that.

Posted (edited)

I get TSN doesnt have to fall head over heels for CPL but acting as if it doesn't exist just proves the conspiracy theories or that there is unnecessary politics at play

Instead they play ridiculous American talking head sportatainment shows yammering on about anything but sport and perpetuating American political angst and demographic stereotypes thru professional sports. They should be ashamed of themselves 

Why not instead produce a simple 30 minute magazine style show featuring all things Canadian soccer covering MLS, CPL, Canadians abroad. Do the same for Basketball or other sports

Edited by SpursFlu

It's not a conspiracy.  They don't have the rights and they don't see the value in it.  Much the same way as ESPN basically ignores the NHL.

And they probably don't see the value in producing their own show either.  Heck, Sportsnet just fired all of their soccer staff.

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Instead they play ridiculous American talking head sportatainment shows yammering on about anything but sport and perpetuating American political angst and demographic stereotypes thru professional sports. They should be ashamed of themselves 

Why not instead produce a simple 30 minute magazine style show featuring all things Canadian soccer covering MLS, CPL, Canadians abroad. Do the same for Basketball or other sports

Simple: Cost.

It costs nothing to air those American talking head shows, so they don't need to bring in big audiences. Producing original content costs money, potentially for small viewership numbers.

It sucks, but it's Business 101.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's not a conspiracy.  They don't have the rights and they don't see the value in it.  Much the same way as ESPN basically ignores the NHL.

And they probably don't see the value in producing their own show either.  Heck, Sportsnet just fired all of their soccer staff.

Speaking of ESPN, apparently they put Aparicio's goal from Wednesday on their Sportscenter top 10. Does anybody know if there is a way to view that top 10 online?

Edit: Should've googled before asking.

Edited by Kent

Like most people here, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of play in the league when it started.

Am I the only one thinking that the play is noticeably better now than it was at the start of the season? Of course it is natural for teams in mid-season form to be playing better than at the start of the season, but the great goals from Aparicio (the long bomb), Borges (the olimpico), and Thomas (running through the defence and chipping the keeper) really brought it to light. Overall the play seems better too, at least in the games I've been watching.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kent said:

Like most people here, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of play in the league when it started.

Am I the only one thinking that the play is noticeably better now than it was at the start of the season? Of course it is natural for teams in mid-season form to be playing better than at the start of the season, but the great goals from Aparicio (the long bomb), Borges (the olimpico), and Thomas (running through the defence and chipping the keeper) really brought it to light. Overall the play seems better too, at least in the games I've been watching.

You've obviously not been watching Valour! They are getting worse, not better.

I notice that the new signing Galán #21 was one of the pylons that Thomas dribbled around before chipping over Farago who for some inexplicable reason was kneeling down at the time!

Something at Valour needs to change and it needs to change quickly. Because when you turn into a bad joke because you never win, like the lose-ipeg Jets in the 80s who managed to go something like 35 games without a win, the fans will abandon you en masse.

Edited by Lofty