Put CPL in a search engine. You do not get the Canadian one first, at the top. 

I say who the fck cares about the name, as mentioned here, they already have too many leagues. 

But for sure: cannot trust MLS, they are sneaky and not up front, or hardly ever. 

6 hours ago, Initial B said:

That is... a very odd acronym for a league based in the States. I wonder if Commisso and Silva are trying to rebrand NASL and doing this as a big FU to the Faths.

CPL better get their copyright lawyers warmed up.

Not Da Silva, as his Miami FC has a week or so ago been accepted into NISA, a Pro league already sanctioned by USSF and starting in September this year. Those two have no reason to give an FU to the Faths, who were the longest and strongest supporter of NASL over the years. There was no bad blood between them.

Could be the "NPSL Pro/Founders Cup group or some totally new group. The Founders cup teams have had a falling out with NPSL it seems, and they are trying to deal with the loss of the Miami FC and California United FC recently to NISA.

In any event, it won't be a league that has Canadian clubs so really of no concern IMHO, CPL will stand for something else and be in another country.

1 hour ago, ted said:

This is another good reason to go with CanPL - as we were asked to do from the beginning. It sounds and looks far more distinctive than "CPL". 

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I say who the fck cares about the name, as mentioned here, they already have too many leagues. 

But for sure: cannot trust MLS, they are sneaky and not up front, or hardly ever. 

Google tailors search results based on a number of factors, including geography. For me, and I imagine most in Canada, "CPL" turns up the Canadian Premier League website as the first result.

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

CanPL sounds more like a slogan than a league. You #CanPL if you try!

I will never use it.

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

CanPL sounds more like a slogan than a league. You #CanPL if you try!

I will never use it.

Dear . . . God. Now I can't ever unthink that. 

^ This X 1000. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is your first result? Because, I just looked at the first page and it's all about the Canadian one. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 2:51 AM, Kwar said:

I really hope they don't have a 2 game final.  I still don't forgive the original CSL for going to that format!

They only did that once in 1992 when the league had lost its TV contract with TSN and was very much in its death spiral. Hopefully it will be single game if they can get it onto mainstream cable in a reasonably prime time timeslot with the hosting team determined by who had the better record over the complete regular season.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

What is your first result? Because, I just looked at the first page and it's all about the Canadian one. 

I get Caribbean Premier League first, maybe because my IP is in Spain. In any case, it is not like there were not other CPLs around previously. 

15 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

That's the point. It is distinctive, reduces confusion and reinforces the national character of the league.

#yesyouCanPL

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

800px-Alcan_logo.svg.png

Image result for candu reactor logo

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

So if Cavalry win today and then get at least a draw vs. Forge on Sunday, the league is theirs. Is that correct?

Meaning they may be able to celebrate the first CPL trophy with a result vs. a direct rival.

What would they get?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if Cavalry win today and then get at least a draw vs. Forge on Sunday, the league is theirs. Is that correct?

Meaning they may be able to celebrate the first CPL trophy with a result vs. a direct rival.

What would they get?

Even if they lose today, a win on Saturday gives them the Spring season.

Edited by narduch

16 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Candu reactors?

Not to get stuck on this point, but: 

1) CANDU is admittedly an example, but I think we can all agree it's very, very much the exception rather than the rule. Frankly, I don't see any reason to deviate from the rule. 

2) For Twitter (and other forms of social media), I've never understood why the hashtag didn't match the handle. @CPLsoccer makes perfect sense and reminds me of @MLSsoccer distinguishing itself from the MLS realty company. It's seems a bit stupid to not have one consistent approach. 

3) As for being distinctive . . . the image isn't a perfect proxy, but you get the point. 😋

Unique.png

14 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

3) As for being distinctive . . . the image isn't a perfect proxy, but you get the point. 😋

Unique.png

No,I don't "get" the point because it is ridiculous. In the world of marketing, being unique and distinctive is priceless. Anything that helps avoid brand-confusion is to be embraced.

Why are you arguing so hard to suppress and confuse the league brand? 

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, ted said:

No,I don't "get" the point because it is ridiculous. In the world of marketing, being unique and distinctive is priceless. Anything that helps avoid brand-confusion is to be embraced.

Why are you arguing so hard to suppress and confuse the league brand? 

I'd only agree with a major qualification. Being unique is crucial in the world of marketing, but only if that brand and messaging resonates with your target audience. From my view, having a hashtag that's counterintuitive leaves me concerned about its resonance the casual fan. 

As for arguing brand suppression and confusion, I'm doing nothing of the sort. The league itself uses the abbreviation "CPL" in almost all of its online articles, in its social media handles, in the name of the app, and in the name of the online shop. And CBC, TSN, Sportsnet and even One Soccer all use "CPL" as well, which further leads me to believe that "CanPL" just isn't resonating. "CPL" is the the more intuitive abbreviation and, like it or not, has become the de facto standard. It really only seems to be for the web address and the hashtag that "CanPL" is pushed.

I'm not arguing to suppress the brand or create confusion; I'm arguing that the league should ditch "CanPL" and stick with "CPL"/@CPLsoccer to keep one consistent, intuitive brand and eliminate confusion. 

Edited by m-g-williams

3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I'd only agree with a major qualification. Being unique is crucial in the world of marketing, but only if that brand and messaging resonates with your target audience. From my view, having a hashtag that's counterintuitive leaves me concerned about its resonance the casual fan. 

As for arguing brand suppression and confusion, I'm doing nothing of the sort. The league itself uses the abbreviation "CPL" in almost all of its online articles, in its social media handles, in the name of the app, and in the name of the online shop. And CBC, TSN, Sportsnet and even One Soccer all use "CPL" as well, which further leads me to believe that "CanPL" just isn't resonating. "CPL" is the the more intuitive abbreviation and, like it or not, has become the de facto standard. It really only seems to be for the web address and the hashtag that "CanPL" is pushed.

I'm not arguing to suppress the brand or create confusion; I'm arguing that the league should ditch "CanPL" and stick with "CPL"/@CPLsoccer to keep one consistent, intuitive brand and eliminate confusion. 

Check out the hashtag for our women's national team, and ask why it works better than #CWNT

Just to point out outside of the Cricket Premier league, their are at least 4 other CPL's....

California Premier league 

Colorado Premier league 

Continental Premier league 

Connecticut Premier league 

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on some GC players who could do a job in CPL? I really liked what I saw from Juan Barrera and Byron Bonilla of Nicaragua, while Lejuan Simmons and Leverock of Bermuda were really good too.  A few Guyanese players lookd quality as well.

Also looks like Trinidad could have used some CPL guys on their roster *insert Kermit meme*

Edited by VinceA

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Any thoughts on some GC players who could do a job in CPL? I really liked what I saw from Juan Barrera and Byron Bonilla of Nicaragua, while Lejuan Simmons and Leverock of Bermuda were really good too.  A few Guyanese players lookd quality as well.

Also looks like Trinidad could have used some CPL guys on their roster *insert Kermit meme*

Djimy Alexis would be a good score for any team. Only 21 and plays in Haiti, so will be looking to move up a league for sure.

Posted (edited)

There are definitely some guys in the Gold Cup for the lower/mid level teams that should interest CPL teams. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are not equally, if not more interested, in joining the CPL. Watching Guyana-T and T and Valour-HFX kind of side by side there is, other then the broadcast quality/stadium, no real obvious gap in caliber. So I have no doubt that joining the CPL would be a great domestic opportunity for many of these guys. 

Edited by ktf