Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I thought Whitecaps were still paying a chunk. Regardless, they can pay the man and not count it towards the salary cap.

i think the caps is separate for his pfc salary. i think they can but it could still be like $75k against the cap. it's unlikely they're getting 100% or maybe even 50% relief

Edited by matty

I like the "slick web site" comment. It's too bad they didn't do more research into CSB as a financial model rather than assume billionaires and consortiums are bankrolling the league. Given that we've borrowed this from MLS, they could do the same.

15 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I like the "slick web site" comment. It's too bad they didn't do more research into CSB as a financial model rather than assume billionaires and consortiums are bankrolling the league. Given that we've borrowed this from MLS, they could do the same.

I think the league "investing" in reporters/news outlet has been a smart move. That being said I'm not sure sure I'd call the website "slick"....it's pretty basic in it's current form.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:29 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Wouldn’t a more apt example be any of the commissioners of the NHL, NBA or NFL? None have had an ex-player as far as I know, most are lawyers.

I don't know about the other two, but one of them is a complete wanker and doing a horrible job.  You're right though, he's a lawyer, but I can't imagine how he passed a bar exam.

Interesting article on Canadian banking sponsorship in pro sports:
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/sponsorship-works-why-canada-s-big-banks-are-sinking-cash-into-pro-sports-branding-1.1243780

I was expecting to see a Canadian bank as 1 of the kit sponsors, so that was a surprise to me. Do we expect the league to announce any other national partners before the start of the season?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, masster said:

Do we expect the league to announce any other national partners before the start of the season?

Yes! Here's the CEO of Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) Scott Mitchell on Twitter in regards to this:

https://twitter.com/ticatmitchell/status/1116404848159789056?s=21 

Edited by Blackjack15

This will get some knees-a-jerking:

http://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-mascots/

...While it’s not clear if every team will get getting a mascot, there are at least five sides that will have a costumed entertainer frolicking about on matchdays. If we had to guess, it looks like the Canadian Premier League is going all-in for mascots...

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This will get some knees-a-jerking:

http://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-mascots/

...While it’s not clear if every team will get getting a mascot, there are at least five sides that will have a costumed entertainer frolicking about on matchdays. If we had to guess, it looks like the Canadian Premier League is going all-in for mascots...

Yeah, this Saturday is a big launch party ion downtown Victoria where Pacific will introduce their new mascot. We took the piss out of Striker for years at Highlanders games and will probably do so to whatever PFC puts out. That said, we came to love Striker who would engage with with us in hilarious ways distinct from the kids. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/islander/pro-soccer-arrives-on-island-it-s-game-on-for-pacific-fc-1.23797550

I've highlighted the most important parts of the article below

among the league sponsors the CPL has signed is WestJet, along with the likes of Tim Hortons, Volkswagen, Nike for footwear and leading European jersey company Macron for the kit. What the fledgling CPL seems to have done well is lure sponsorships.

Taking the lead in that regard is the eye-popping — at least by Canadian soccer standards — 10 year, $200-million deal with Spanish sports-TV company Mediapro. It includes the rights to produce all CPL and Canadian national team games. Ten of the Mediapro-produced CPL games will be shown live on the full CBC network.

“We will be gate-driven as well as partnership-driven,” said Simpson.

“We need everybody getting behind the league. We are 50 per cent funded by a Spanish TV giant. They see the potential in a sport they know best. There may be some Canadians who can’t understand why a company from Barcelona is doing this. That hasn’t really clicked in yet with Canadians. The content will be high end and unique. What the rest of the world sees is such a great nation as Canada — one of the most desirable places to live in the world — and they can’t fathom that we don’t have a pro league in the most popular sport in the world.

“We will not hold on to players forever. We’re about discovering and developing Canadian players and moving them on to bigger leagues such as Premierships in Europe or the MLS.”

That’s another part of the soccer culture on the business side.

That’s how we’re going to survive. Transfer fees are very lucrative if you get it right,” said Simpson.

But even with the possibility of developing talent for transfer fees — and the impressive sponsorships the league has lined up — this is a daunting startup, especially by Canadian soccer standards. Sources indicate the operating budget for a CPL team will be in the range of $5 million per season, with more than 50 per cent of that going to player salaries. 

BIG NEWS! Analysis and thoughts below: 

• So besides Cavalry having Westjet and Forge having Tim Hortons as their jersey sponsors, they will also be official airline carrier and another major founding partner. 
  • With the Broadcasting deal with MediaPro of $20 Million Dollars per season ($200M over 10yrs) will cover 50% of the costs of the teams in season 1 is absolutely exceptional. We are in a really damn good place, the other half will come from attendance at the gate, game day revenue, merchandise and local sponsors. I think we could see all seven clubs break even tbh, which is something that was not expected before, Clanachan told owners to expect to lose money in the first few years; well that claim has changed with this deal coming in. What a smashing success by CSB leaded by Scott Mitchell
  • Great to see that the CPL will fulfill the same purpose of Croatia's, Sweden, Belgium's leagues. What would that be? To be developmental first. All of their best 20-30 players play in better leagues and environments and that's exactly what they want to do here. The best will come on, I have no doubt about it, for the rest however this will be their place to play. 
  • The 5M operational budget just confirms what we already knew from reports of The Forbes Magazine, earlier in 2018. What is new though is that half of the whole will go to players?? They never revealed the salary cap, some rumours said $750K others said $1M, but 2.5M - I am not so sure, incredible if true, but unlikely as it seems inconsistent with what we were hearing before. Very odd why the league never publicly revealed the exact number

Posted (edited)

If the salary cap is $2.5 million they are drastically over-paying the players they have signed in terms of market value and should have been able to attract back higher quality Canadian players from USL and overseas.

It's much more likely that the $5 million number includes a $3 million franchise fee and total salaries with coaches and front office factored in are around $1 million.

Think the interesting thing is what is implied by being 50% funded by Mediapro. It's nice to think that means a large cash injection, but it could also mean who is underwriting the very expensive broadcast operation with the league presumably still picking up half of the net expenses in that context. Time will tell. That would still be a very good deal for the league rather than a mind-blowingly spectacular one.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On the brief seems a bit too good to be true.   But you can imagine how some things might all fit together right now. 

If MediaPro are making a yearly payment to the league I would suspect the 2019 payment to each club is being inflated because of the small number of teams.  The slice of that pie well get smaller from here forward (assuming all things are equal).  It's pretty easy to imagine what impact sponsorship dollars might have on potential investors as well.  The numbers described above might not have been set until quite recently and the league may not want them released regardless, but sooner or later these sorts of things come out and if the cat's out of the bag no use trying to deny it too firmly. 

The salary cap is a cap, not a spending requirement.  If teams are being cautious, and they can be because if they look around and don't see anyone else charging towards the cap ceiling, that doesn't change the cap, it just leaves capacity.  But it may also explain some less than complete rosters at this point so close to the season kick-off but also so close to opportunities to pick up players with the summer break also fast approaching.  More expensive talent. 

Nice way to start a Monday.   

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rheo said:

At minute 9:10 in the interview David Clanachan is asked "What has the buy in been from Corporate Canada for the League?" In his long response at 9:50 through 10:20 in regards to MediaPro and Volkswagen; he had this to say: "It's interesting that companies outside of North America are first to see the opportunity when they studied the statistics that are out there"

"They are Global football powers who understand the game"

What he said could not be more true, if this league is to grow and be successful it needs Corporations HERE AT HOME to believe in the league and the vision that exists. The support of National and Local sponsors will be super important financially for all clubs, and in terms of be stability too.

Now my biggest question is Why the hell is Petro Canada sponsoring Premier League Giants Liverpool and Bundesliga club Wolfsburg and not the CPL!? I guess what the commissioner said is a two-way street, I find it hard to understand that they would help finance two clubs who are thousands of kilometres away in what is elite European football and not something that is happening right next to you

We're talking about A company that makes 40 Billion plus dollars a year 

What strange kind of world we are living in

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackjack15

You do understand that there is a fair deal of marketing involved, right? Sponsorship, isnt just some philantropical endeavour. You want to expand your brand. In that sense it makes perfect sense to want to geographically stretch your brand's reach by associating it to other "popular" brands.