CPL General

On the brief seems a bit too good to be true.   But you can imagine how some things might all fit together right now. 

If MediaPro are making a yearly payment to the league I would suspect the 2019 payment to each club is being inflated because of the small number of teams.  The slice of that pie well get smaller from here forward (assuming all things are equal).  It's pretty easy to imagine what impact sponsorship dollars might have on potential investors as well.  The numbers described above might not have been set until quite recently and the league may not want them released regardless, but sooner or later these sorts of things come out and if the cat's out of the bag no use trying to deny it too firmly. 

The salary cap is a cap, not a spending requirement.  If teams are being cautious, and they can be because if they look around and don't see anyone else charging towards the cap ceiling, that doesn't change the cap, it just leaves capacity.  But it may also explain some less than complete rosters at this point so close to the season kick-off but also so close to opportunities to pick up players with the summer break also fast approaching.  More expensive talent. 

Nice way to start a Monday.   

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

At minute 9:10 in the interview David Clanachan is asked "What has the buy in been from Corporate Canada for the League?" In his long response at 9:50 through 10:20 in regards to MediaPro and Volkswagen; he had this to say: "It's interesting that companies outside of North America are first to see the opportunity when they studied the statistics that are out there"

"They are Global football powers who understand the game"

What he said could not be more true, if this league is to grow and be successful it needs Corporations HERE AT HOME to believe in the league and the vision that exists. The support of National and Local sponsors will be super important financially for all clubs, and in terms of be stability too.

Now my biggest question is Why the hell is Petro Canada sponsoring Premier League Giants Liverpool and Bundesliga club Wolfsburg and not the CPL!? I guess what the commissioner said is a two-way street, I find it hard to understand that they would help finance two clubs who are thousands of kilometres away in what is elite European football and not something that is happening right next to you

We're talking about A company that makes 40 Billion plus dollars a year 

What strange kind of world we are living in

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackjack15

You do understand that there is a fair deal of marketing involved, right? Sponsorship, isnt just some philantropical endeavour. You want to expand your brand. In that sense it makes perfect sense to want to geographically stretch your brand's reach by associating it to other "popular" brands. 

On the bright side they do have Tim Horton's (David Clanachan angle probably) and Westjet as shirt sponsors so far. Beyond that the people making most of the decisions in corporate Canada at the moment are not a particularly soccer friendly generation, if there is no recent immigrant angle in their background such as with the Saputos, because they grew up well before the youth soccer registration boom from the mid-90s onwards. The CBC deal should help, because a lot of people will be skeptical on how many eyeballs the onesoccer.ca app will attract.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

For those who haven't tried, according to Untappd:

Moosehead Lager: 3.09 / 5

Moosehead Light: 2.84 / 5

Cracked Canoe: 3.05 / 5

Their highest rated beer ever (probably no longer available, but I want one):

Coconut Coffee Ale: 3.92 / 5

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

On the bright side they do have Tim Horton's (David Clanachan angle probably) and Westjet as shirt sponsors so far. Beyond that the people making most of the decisions in corporate Canada at the moment are not a particularly soccer friendly generation, if there is no recent immigrant angle in their background such as with the Saputos, because they grew up well before the youth soccer registration boom from the mid-90s onwards. The CBC deal should help, because a lot of people will be skeptical on how many eyeballs the onesoccer.ca app will attract.

This post aged well.

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

For those who haven't tried, according to Untappd:

Moosehead Lager: 3.09 / 5

Moosehead Light: 2.84 / 5

Cracked Canoe: 3.05 / 5

Their highest rated beer ever (probably no longer available, but I want one):

Coconut Coffee Ale: 3.92 / 5

Lager 👍

Light 👎

Canoe 😒

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

That is awesome.  I tend to buy the local craft brews (usually Upstreet, PEI Brewing Company and Copper Bottom for those interested...) but for inexpensive cooler filler in the summer I now always go for Moosehead.  They are the last one standing among the big Canadian-owned brewers - all the others have been gobbled up by multinationals.  Very fitting beer sponsor for the CPL.  And Moose green is pretty tasty :)   

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Oh boy!  My TV Guide listing finally updated to Saturday's game.  It's happening!  

Apr23410.jpg

Yeah, yesterday I set up the game to record, as well as CBC news, Sportsnet Central, and Sportscentre on that day just in case any of them talk about the game.

Oh right, I guess I should set up the TFC game to record too when I get around to it since I'll miss it while in Hamilton. Now begins TFC's "second fiddle" years.

Recap 

Duane Rollins CPL expansion bits from Soccer Today 4/23

-full details on Two Solitudes later this week. Montreal could be ready summer season but will wait most likely to avoid confusion

-no update on Ottawa. If sanctioning revoked odds are the team would fold up shop. But market they want into

-hearing good things about three other markets, two barely discussed. One on the west, discussed a lot. Chelsea fan out west from the Voyageurs would be happy (whatever that means)

-Other two would be rivals. One for a team that doesn’t have one (Halifax? My guess) and not a city that has been talked about a lot?

Followed tonight by 

28 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Recap 

-full details on Two Solitudes later this week. Montreal could be ready summer season but will wait most likely to avoid confusion

-no update on Ottawa. If sanctioning revoked odds are the team would fold up shop. But market they want into

-hearing good things about three other markets, two barely discussed. One on the west, discussed a lot. Chelsea fan out west from the Voyageurs would be happy (whatever that means)

-Other two would be rivals. One for a team that doesn’t have one (Halifax? My guess) and not a city that has been talked about a lot?

Followed tonight by 

It means Saskatoon!

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Recap 

Followed tonight by 

And the brewery town would be Saint John, NB.

Definitely no one talking about that!

edit: Definitely Saint John. Rollins says it’s a market no ones talked about but is close to a town that has been discussed quite a bit and that it would be a natural rival for a team that doesn’t currently have one.

Edited by BuzzAndSting