10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Curious how many people watch MLS here? Not much diving in that league...but a lot of play stoppages because of the high rate of 50-50 challenges and balls going out of play because of poor passes/decision making but mostly because of the general the style of play being what I would call "rushed".

So pick your poison. 

MLS still has some of it - and funny enough it is mostly from imports.  Gio was bad for it, and others def have it as part of their game.  It happened in the Van game the other night - some guy got brushed in the face and writhed around like he was shot.  When the ref waived it off, he immediately "recovered" and was enraged that he didn't get the call.  If I recall, he was a South American player...

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The commish has to care about what makes most CDN hate soccer.  He is trying to get this league off the ground and he is addressing the #1 thing that makes people not watch soccer.  Arent we going to need new fans for the league to work and to grow the game?  

Most Canadians that say they dislike/hate soccer utilize diving as their number reason. However, that's not the real reason they dislike soccer, it's just a convenient excuse. Most dislike soccer because they just haven't properly witnessed the sport. That is all. Watching the sport at the highest, most exciting level such as a UEFA Champion's league knockout stage game generally converts even the most ardent soccer hater.

10 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Curious how many people watch MLS here? Not much diving in that league...but a lot of play stoppages because of the high rate of 50-50 challenges and balls going out of play because of poor passes/decision making but mostly because of the general the style of play being what I would call "rushed".

So pick your poison. 

Thing is, fans getting all upsett because an opposing attacker goes down and stays down. And their team making terrible decisions on the field, players out of position, lame defensive give-aways, tactically inept when either ahead or behind (this is mostly Whitecaps for the last few years): no reaction. Not at all upset. High tolerance for garbage football. 

But that guy on the other team who fell, get up, get up. 

This is low IQ soccer culture, and it absolutely cannot be encouraged. 

I am used to watching football where if you miss a clear pass, anywhere on the field, and especially in the back to middle, the whole crowd groans. And if someone repeats that, a murmur starts. And if it becomes consistent, his spot on the team could be at risk. And this is not just at Barça don't get me wrong, it is at Gimnàstic de Tarragona, in relegation in 2nd division: inept football is frustrating, and diving--well just get over it. If your ******* team could keep the ball, the others would not have it, you would not have to tackle hard to get it back in desperation, and that guy would not be on the ground. It is your fault he's there.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The commish has to care about what makes most CDN hate soccer...

People who hate soccer are going to keep hating soccer no matter what we do, but there aren't as many of them as there used to be because they are slowly dying off and being replaced by a younger generation who played the game as children. The commish should care about attracting the large numbers of people who already know and love the sport and ignore the Don Cherry types and leave them to stew in their own bile.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

All the blame is not on the refs, the league should instruct the refs to INFORCE the rules that are already there. (I think I created a monster):cool:.

Posted (edited)

I don't think Don Cherry has any significant animus towards soccer other than referencing the sport when directing criticism towards a NHL player that displays behaviors he associates with soccer, "Leave the over the top celebrations to the soccer guys, leave the diving to the soccer guys, etc." but I always found that a little charming to be honest.

Anyhow, those people can be converted and you don't need to utilize over the top methods to do it.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

I don't think Don Cherry has any significant animus towards soccer other than referencing the sport when directing criticism towards a NHL player that displays behaviors he associates with soccer, "Leave the over the top celebrations to the soccer guys, leave the diving to the soccer guys, etc." but I always found that a little charming to be honest.

Anyhow, those people can be converted and you don't need to utilize over the top methods to do it.

Hockey never used to have a penalty for embellishment, but they introduced it.

So that is on the hockey guys, all the way, it has nothing to do with soccer.

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I remember listening to an interview with Cherry where he talked about going to an Old Firm derby. Said he loved it. 

1 hour ago, masster said:

I remember listening to an interview with Cherry where he talked about going to an Old Firm derby. Said he loved it. 

Interesting. I would be impressed but since it’s the old firm I can’t help but thinking he must’ve seen a fight between supporters in the stands or something.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-premier-performer-presented-by-volkswagen-canada

This to me sounds similar to the Audi Player Index that MLS has. Basically every player's performance(s) boiled down to a number, and the player who has the best number at the end of the season get's a VW Jetta.

In MLS this is a separate thing from MVP. I imagine it would be the same case in CPL.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-premier-performer-presented-by-volkswagen-canada

This to me sounds similar to the Audi Player Index that MLS has. Basically every player's performance(s) boiled down to a number, and the player who has the best number at the end of the season get's a VW Jetta.

In MLS this is a separate thing from MVP. I imagine it would be the same case in CPL.

If you're sponsoring it in one league why not another. 

6 minutes ago, matty said:

If you're sponsoring it in one league why not another. 

I was going to make a Barclays Canadian Premier League joke, but it turns out they don't sponsor the EPL anymore. So I guess it should be CPL Santander then.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I was going to make a Barclays Canadian Premier League joke, but it turns out they don't sponsor the EPL anymore. So I guess it should be CPL Santander then.

VW are slowly plotting a global takeover with this player index award. First MLS, then CPL, next stop the World

14 minutes ago, matty said:

VW are slowly plotting a global takeover with this player index award. First MLS, then CPL, next stop the World

Oh I get it now. Didn't realize Audi is owned by VW. I thought you were lamenting the fact that it wasn't Audi sponsoring the CPL's version.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

If you EVER threaten a Valour player again....

14 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The new rumour surrounding Forlan....

http://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-diego-forlan/

...Meanwhile, sports journalist Duane Rollins reported that one of his USL connections stated that Forlan was also in touch with USL brass regarding ownership opportunities south of the border. In full context, it looks like Forlan is simply investigating the North American soccer scene to potentially participate as an owner...

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Oh I get it now. Didn't realize Audi is owned by VW. I thought you were lamenting the fact that it wasn't Audi sponsoring the CPL's version.

They also own Ferrari now too. Maybe a VW-made Ferrari will be the prize for year 2. lol

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

They also own Ferrari now too. Maybe a VW-made Ferrari will be the prize for year 2. lol

I think you mean Lamborghini. Ferrari is owned by FIAT's or FIAT's parent company.

Edited by Macksam

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

If you EVER threaten a Valour player again....

My comprehension must be going downhill. First I didn't get what Matty was saying, now I don't get this one. Explain the joke. Was it just that it should have been "the Valour player with the best number..."?

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

My comprehension must be going downhill. First I didn't get what Matty was saying, now I don't get this one. Explain the joke. Was it just that it should have been "the Valour player with the best number..."?

It was a bit obscure. I took it to be jocular disrespect to the quality of VW, as in "we are threatening to give you a VW".

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Besides the reported CBC Broadcast deal and One soccer subscription package announced and ready for purchase,

Hoping for a airline carrier and hotel sponsor! This would be huge for the league on the financial side, have the teams in good position moving forward 

This was the major reason the old CSL folded, travel and accommodation expenses were just too high, this would eliminate a good portion of the costs

Edited by Blackjack15