Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Honestly, I have no idea how getting tough on the simulation and bullshit we see somehow equates to giving the green light for glorified goons to hack the talent players until they bleed.  The two are simply not the same thing.  Full stop.  You can absolutely continue to protect skilled players while punishing flagrant instances of diving, cheating and simulation.  The two things are in no way mutually exclusive. 

And, yes, the laws of the game currently have provisions in place to address this.  But that doesn't change the fact that it is still an unfortunate part of the game that (for some inexplicable reason) quite obviously gets ignored by many refs.  Telling CPL refs to make sure they pay attention to it is absolutely appropriate for the CPL commish to do IMO.  Everyone on this site has seen CONCACAF flopping and diving wreck a game and screw us over - all while (often Central American) refs turn a blind eye to it - or worse, allow it to dictate a game by awarding unwarranted free kicks.  Expunging that bullshit from the game is something I welcome. 

Edited by dyslexic nam
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the CPL announcement seemed imminent, I stopped caring about the roster rules of American leagues. If anything this strengthens the CPL player pool.

I broke it down for you guys *** CPL Commissioner Clanachan interview  https://youtu.be/xQ5oAOq3pJk CPL working on different scenarios and schedules to restart the league Single ta

I just have to say, I am enjoying this league even more than I originally expected. I think in the 12 years I have followed MLS, I could probably count on two hands the amount of games I watched that

Posted Images

A large portion of the blame absolutely falls on the referees who have allowed the game to get to this stage.

We should all be able to agree on two points:

1) divers should be punished 

2) thugs should be punished

End of story.  Both are equally annoying but one has been policed much better.  There are no more Vinnie Jones playing serious football but there are divers at every turn.  

I do think the refs have done a disservice to the sport by calling their own bastardized version of the game rather than by the book.  For example, if you allow play for an advantage give the player a card after the play stops (if warranted).  This is rarely done.  Normal fouls in the box are never called either - this encourages diving.  If it’s a foul at the centre circle it’s a foul in the box.  A player shouldn’t have to go down like they’ve been shot to get a penalty.

But this is the world subjective refereeing has created.  It’s 2019 it shouldn’t happen .. let’s call the game by the book and have video ready to break it down if needed.  No more bullshit.  And if a dive isn’t called in the game and the player gets away with it he has cheated the sport and league - throw the book at them.  If they dove it should be a minimum 2 game suspension. And who cares if it’s your star player? This shouldn’t be like MLS.

All players equal, all calls equal.

Edited by Keegan
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I do think the refs have done a disservice to the sport by calling their own bastardized version of the game rather than by the book.  For example, if you allow play for an advantage give the player a card after the play stops (if warranted).  This is rarely done.  Normal fouls in the box are never called either - this encourages diving.  If it’s a foul at the centre circle it’s a foul in the box.  A player shouldn’t have to go down like they’ve been shot to get a penalty.

The area where I see the biggest impact of this is the amount of clutching and grabbing defenders are now permitted to do on attacking players when corner kicks or free kicks put a ball into the box.  It is absolutely against the laws of the game, yet you regularly see defenders latched onto attackers, grabbing their arms or shirt and holding them in place, or holding them down from a header.

They do it because the refs let it happen - so of course it takes place  THAT is something that is antithetical to the beautiful game, yet because refs are being subjective about how they apply the laws, things get really wonky in terms of enforcement.  And what is the end result?  Strikers end up theatrically throwing themselves to the ground because it is the only way some refs seem willing to give a penalty.   

Different case than punishing simulation, obviously, but it is another example of things getting screwed up as refs have moved away from enforcing the letter of the Laws.  And like the comments on simulation, it is an area where I think it would be appropriate for the commish to indicate that he expects the Laws to be enforced as written. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The area where I see the biggest impact of this is the amount of clutching and grabbing defenders are now permitted to do on attacking players when corner kicks or free kicks put a ball into the box.  It is absolutely against the laws of the game, yet you regularly see defenders latched onto attackers, grabbing their arms or shirt and holding them in place, or holding them down from a header.

They do it because the refs let it happen - so of course it takes place  THAT is something that is antithetical to the beautiful game, yet because refs are being subjective about how they apply the laws, things get really wonky in terms of enforcement.  And what is the end result?  Strikers end up theatrically throwing themselves to the ground because it is the only way some refs seem willing to give a penalty.   

Different case than punishing simulation, obviously, but it is another example of things getting screwed up as refs have moved away from enforcing the letter of the Laws.  And like the comments on simulation, it is an area where I think it would be appropriate for the commish to indicate that he expects the Laws to be enforced as written. 

Related to this, I have never seen so many elbows and arms out and into faces on high balls in the years I have watched the game. This has become standard, and since a flailing arm seems and looks natural when a player jumps, it gets ignored as well. It is extremely dirty however, apart from being damn dangerous. 

I am all for a strong physical game, I hate the way Spanish refs don't allow players jumping for a high ball and putting bodies into it. So I am not in favour of over-calling hard play. There is a difference, however, when it comes to feet, ankles, shins, knees. These are the key instruments of a footballers profession. If you are hurt here, you really cannot play. It is as bad as a single finger on a shooting hand of a basketball player, it can put you out. 

Fortunately, refs are increasingly guided by standardised norms that do try to regulate calls in a way that is consistent. True, some football cultures are more physical, and lower divisions get away with garbage because there is no tv or reporters caring. 

But I am not one to at all agree that embellishment is the worst thing about the game, and really do not care if someone who is not a fan anyways cites it. Who cares, that is their problem, they probably are a long way from a basic understanding anyways, and you can't change the game just for them. Let them learn. 

This sort of reminds me of that Norm MacDonald sketch about Bill Cosby, where he mentions his friend who says the worst thing about it is the hypocrisy. Well no, not the embellishment, and not the hypocrisy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious how many people watch MLS here? Not much diving in that league...but a lot of play stoppages because of the high rate of 50-50 challenges and balls going out of play because of poor passes/decision making but mostly because of the general the style of play being what I would call "rushed".

So pick your poison. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Curious how many people watch MLS here? Not much diving in that league...but a lot of play stoppages because of the high rate of 50-50 challenges and balls going out of play because of poor passes/decision making but mostly because of the general the style of play being what I would call "rushed".

So pick your poison. 

MLS still has some of it - and funny enough it is mostly from imports.  Gio was bad for it, and others def have it as part of their game.  It happened in the Van game the other night - some guy got brushed in the face and writhed around like he was shot.  When the ref waived it off, he immediately "recovered" and was enraged that he didn't get the call.  If I recall, he was a South American player...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The commish has to care about what makes most CDN hate soccer.  He is trying to get this league off the ground and he is addressing the #1 thing that makes people not watch soccer.  Arent we going to need new fans for the league to work and to grow the game?  

Most Canadians that say they dislike/hate soccer utilize diving as their number reason. However, that's not the real reason they dislike soccer, it's just a convenient excuse. Most dislike soccer because they just haven't properly witnessed the sport. That is all. Watching the sport at the highest, most exciting level such as a UEFA Champion's league knockout stage game generally converts even the most ardent soccer hater.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Curious how many people watch MLS here? Not much diving in that league...but a lot of play stoppages because of the high rate of 50-50 challenges and balls going out of play because of poor passes/decision making but mostly because of the general the style of play being what I would call "rushed".

So pick your poison. 

Thing is, fans getting all upsett because an opposing attacker goes down and stays down. And their team making terrible decisions on the field, players out of position, lame defensive give-aways, tactically inept when either ahead or behind (this is mostly Whitecaps for the last few years): no reaction. Not at all upset. High tolerance for garbage football. 

But that guy on the other team who fell, get up, get up. 

This is low IQ soccer culture, and it absolutely cannot be encouraged. 

I am used to watching football where if you miss a clear pass, anywhere on the field, and especially in the back to middle, the whole crowd groans. And if someone repeats that, a murmur starts. And if it becomes consistent, his spot on the team could be at risk. And this is not just at Barça don't get me wrong, it is at Gimnàstic de Tarragona, in relegation in 2nd division: inept football is frustrating, and diving--well just get over it. If your fucking team could keep the ball, the others would not have it, you would not have to tackle hard to get it back in desperation, and that guy would not be on the ground. It is your fault he's there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The commish has to care about what makes most CDN hate soccer...

People who hate soccer are going to keep hating soccer no matter what we do, but there aren't as many of them as there used to be because they are slowly dying off and being replaced by a younger generation who played the game as children. The commish should care about attracting the large numbers of people who already know and love the sport and ignore the Don Cherry types and leave them to stew in their own bile.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Don Cherry has any significant animus towards soccer other than referencing the sport when directing criticism towards a NHL player that displays behaviors he associates with soccer, "Leave the over the top celebrations to the soccer guys, leave the diving to the soccer guys, etc." but I always found that a little charming to be honest.

Anyhow, those people can be converted and you don't need to utilize over the top methods to do it.

Edited by Macksam
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Macksam said:

I don't think Don Cherry has any significant animus towards soccer other than referencing the sport when directing criticism towards a NHL player that displays behaviors he associates with soccer, "Leave the over the top celebrations to the soccer guys, leave the diving to the soccer guys, etc." but I always found that a little charming to be honest.

Anyhow, those people can be converted and you don't need to utilize over the top methods to do it.

Hockey never used to have a penalty for embellishment, but they introduced it.

So that is on the hockey guys, all the way, it has nothing to do with soccer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I don't think Don Cherry has any significant animus towards soccer other than referencing the sport when directing criticism towards a NHL player that displays behaviors he associates with soccer, "Leave the over the top celebrations to the soccer guys, leave the diving to the soccer guys, etc." but I always found that a little charming to be honest.

Anyhow, those people can be converted and you don't need to utilize over the top methods to do it.

I remember listening to an interview with Cherry where he talked about going to an Old Firm derby. Said he loved it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-premier-performer-presented-by-volkswagen-canada

This to me sounds similar to the Audi Player Index that MLS has. Basically every player's performance(s) boiled down to a number, and the player who has the best number at the end of the season get's a VW Jetta.

In MLS this is a separate thing from MVP. I imagine it would be the same case in CPL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-premier-performer-presented-by-volkswagen-canada

This to me sounds similar to the Audi Player Index that MLS has. Basically every player's performance(s) boiled down to a number, and the player who has the best number at the end of the season get's a VW Jetta.

In MLS this is a separate thing from MVP. I imagine it would be the same case in CPL.

If you're sponsoring it in one league why not another. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matty said:

If you're sponsoring it in one league why not another. 

I was going to make a Barclays Canadian Premier League joke, but it turns out they don't sponsor the EPL anymore. So I guess it should be CPL Santander then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kent said:

I was going to make a Barclays Canadian Premier League joke, but it turns out they don't sponsor the EPL anymore. So I guess it should be CPL Santander then.

VW are slowly plotting a global takeover with this player index award. First MLS, then CPL, next stop the World

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, matty said:

VW are slowly plotting a global takeover with this player index award. First MLS, then CPL, next stop the World

Oh I get it now. Didn't realize Audi is owned by VW. I thought you were lamenting the fact that it wasn't Audi sponsoring the CPL's version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-premier-performer-presented-by-volkswagen-canada

This to me sounds similar to the Audi Player Index that MLS has. Basically every player's performance(s) boiled down to a number, and the player who has the best number at the end of the season get's a VW Jetta.

...

If you EVER threaten a Valour player again....

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The new rumour surrounding Forlan....

 

http://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-diego-forlan/

...Meanwhile, sports journalist Duane Rollins reported that one of his USL connections stated that Forlan was also in touch with USL brass regarding ownership opportunities south of the border. In full context, it looks like Forlan is simply investigating the North American soccer scene to potentially participate as an owner...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kent said:

Oh I get it now. Didn't realize Audi is owned by VW. I thought you were lamenting the fact that it wasn't Audi sponsoring the CPL's version.

They also own Ferrari now too. Maybe a VW-made Ferrari will be the prize for year 2. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...