53 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Looks like Emery Welshmen might be the first CanPL player to qualify for the Gold Cup with a goal for Guyana. Anyone else I am missing? Shame Springer didn't get through with St. Kitts.

somewhat surprised, i thought guyana had the stiffer competition for a spot against belize than st kitts faced in suriname.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Looks like Emery Welshmen might be the first CanPL player to qualify for the Gold Cup with a goal for Guyana. Anyone else I am missing? Shame Springer didn't get through with St. Kitts.

Is he also the first player to score an international goal while under contract in CPL?

30 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Think you might be right! though I am sure in future trivia contests, the debate will be whether 'on loan' counts.

i say yes

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Well there are some T&T players on Wanderers. I don't know if they those players are still actively getting called or not, but T&T qualified automatically to the Gold Cup by being one of the 6 hex teams.

This might not be what you meant though.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Well there are some T&T players on Wanderers. I don't know if they those players are still actively getting called or not, but T&T qualified automatically to the Gold Cup by being one of the 6 hex teams.

This might not be what you meant though.

I think the problem is none of the HFX players have had caps for T and T for 6-7 years. So I don't think they'd count unless they are regular starters. 

(I was wrong! Jan-Michael Williams played in the world cup qualifiers!)

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

38 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think the problem is none of the HFX players have had caps for T and T for 6-7 years. So I don't think they'd count unless they are regular starters. 

That statement isn't true at all; Akeem Garcia made his only appearance for T&T so far in 2015 and Jan-Michael Williams made his last appearance in 2017 and has made around 25 appearances in the last 6 years.

Williams and John might not get call-ups because of their age, but if Garcia and Rampersad impress this season, they're easily young enough for a call-up.

9 minutes ago, Zem said:

That statement isn't true at all; Akeem Garcia made his only appearance for T&T so far in 2015 and Jan-Michael Williams made his last appearance in 2017 and has made around 25 appearances in the last 6 years.

Williams and John might not get call-ups because of their age, but if Garcia and Rampersad impress this season, they're easily young enough for a call-up.

I stand corrected! While 2017 feels like a long time ago, I guess Jan-Michael Williams did start in two games in the fourth round, including against US. He contributed to them getting to the hex (and qualifying for the Gold Cup). So then, technically, Jan-Michael Williams it the first CanPL player to qualify!

I guess we will see if any of them end up in the gold cup squad! 

16 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Apparently this commercial ran during halftime of the CMNT game:

https://canpl.ca/video/watch-cpl-spot-debuts-during-nations-league-broadcast

Yup, I saw it. They also spoke about the league. I think it was great advertising. 

That ad is well done, for every team you see the logo and colours, an image of where they are from, field, stadium and/or players in training, and a fan sequence. 

For all our talk about MediaPro, overall the CPL has a good set of logos, well distributed colours that so far are fairly clear to differentiate, and handles the video work well, across the board. So our designed image in AV format is IMHO good to very good. 

CPL teams (well York 9 is for sure) leaving for 10 days in Dominican Republic on Friday April 5th.  York 9 will play three games.  None of the CPL teams will play each other during that time.  Learned all this at the Pub Night in Brampton.  I should have a post link up on the York 9 sub board tomorrow night (or Wednesday at the latest) all going well.  

10 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

CPL teams (well York 9 is for sure) leaving for 10 days in Dominican Republic on Friday April 5th.  York 9 will play three games.  None of the CPL teams will play each other during that time.  Learned all this at the Pub Night in Brampton.  I should have a post link up on the York 9 sub board tomorrow night (or Wednesday at the latest) all going well.  

This is great news. I hope we get a proper friendly and not just shinny (sorry for using the hockey term, the soccer one is eluding me atm)

Edited by matty

25 minutes ago, matty said:

This is great news. I hope we get a proper friendly and not just shinny (sorry for using the hockey term, the soccer one is eluding me atm)

"scrimmage".

11 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I believe all 7 CPL teams will be in Toronto for the jersey unveiling on April 4, so they will likely all travel together on April 5.

18 minutes ago, RS said:

I believe all 7 CPL teams will be in Toronto for the jersey unveiling on April 4, so they will likely all travel together on April 5.

I've heard only 6 clubs are going to DR.  One of the clubs may not be going.

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I've heard only 6 clubs are going to DR.  One of the clubs may not be going.

Interesting. I wonder what the reasoning would be behind such a decision.

6 hours ago, RS said:

It's Halifax. And it's because they don't need to go "train" like inferior teams because they already have the 2019 trophy in the bag. 

(My confidence may be misplaced, but whatever, I'm in Halifax for a week this summer for work and I will NOT admit I am wrong now, nor in the future).  

Edit: this is a joke for anyone who thinks I have actual news or inside information... 

Edited by ChrisinOrleans

7 hours ago, RS said:

They originally booked the trip based on double occupancy for the 8 teams but with Ottawa dropping out they can’t afford the single supplement occupancy for one. As with all league matters, involvement in this vacation will be determined the most equitable way possible, who entered the league first.

7 hours ago, RS said:

their  airbnb host cancelled and they were only refunded $94 of their $11,000 payment. they realized it was just cheaper to cancel their sunwing tickets and play against the local university teams than booking another airbnb

Edited by matty

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh, now I feel like I am on a gameshow.  All those reasons seem plausible....I am not sure which is the real one... (que jeopardy music)

Well, they didn’t want this to get out but the real reason is because they were originally all going to go when Paul saw a seat sale through WestJet but you know how it is, some wanted to go for 7 days, others wanted to go for 10, some wanted to be right close to the beach others wanted something secluded and of course one team said “we’re not going so and so is going.” In the end Paul didn’t get everyone’s info on time, passport numbers, postal codes, etc... and the seat sale sold out. Paul was frustrated and he said “**** it, they can find their own way there!”