34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sheesh. She had a dozen worldwide hits before he was out of grade school. Even now she has almost three times more Twitter followers, when she is from the pre-Twitter era and has been professionally rather dormant for a few years.

Being a football fan should not automatically make you into a dumbshit, there has to be more to it. Like, you really love football, then have a serious iodine deficiency in your diet, and this goes on for a long time, and you end up with goiter and are affected by cretinism. That would be a legitimate excuse. Just liking football should not be enough.

Take a look up and see the joke flying right on past you.*

*this is not to be taken as an endorsement of the quality of said joke. :P

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Take a look up and see the joke flying right on past you.*

*this is not to be taken as an endorsement of the quality of said joke. :P

I'm just too much of pain to have to deal with jokes I don't get, I'm just obstinate that way, so sorry. I was being lazy, and I read that 3 times.

I tell my son only I am allowed to be funny at home.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 3/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Look, here I am a person in the arts, teaching university level in art and design schools, curating and writing about both, who regularly does exactly what I am criticising: spending all day more focussed on football than on culture. But I think I am a bit screwed in the head.

curating is a pain in the ass isn't it? do it myself for video works

3 hours ago, matty said:

curating is a pain in the ass isn't it? do it myself for video works

I spent this afternoon working on a catalogue for the Venice Bienale, this time as a translator, while following the ticker on FCB Women's quarter final Champions League match, and at the half reading  articles on whether we should buy Jovic to replace Suárez. That pretty well sums my life up. 

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

Since when is caring about food security soft? You can stfu too if you think there's anything funny or soft about it. 

Perhaps I should have included the post that triggered your soft sensibilities. 

@admin Another poster in the York9 thread made a rather clever jab about a potential Venezuelan player being enticed by having three hot meals a day and this snow flake here got his panties in a twist and started mentioning kids in Manitoba and other things that had nothing to do with the clever aforementioned bant.

Pointing out the irony was too good to pass up. 

Joking about people not having regular access to something as basic and necessary as food isn't funny. It's sick.

The fact that someone has to point that out to you is possibly even more sick. 

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, I'm sure there are other places on the internet where that kind of talk is welcome. But I really don't think you've found your audience here, buddy. 

13 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Joking about people not having regular access to something as basic and necessary as food isn't funny. It's sick.

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, I'm sure there are other places on the internet where that kind of talk is welcome. But I really don't think you've found your audience here, buddy. 

Comedy tends to border on a dark fine line of truth. There was nothing sick about admiring the cleverness in @Winnipeg Fury‘s post and getting bemused by KW519’s over reaction.

Most comedy is based on the misfortune of others. And when we laugh we certainly appreciate that "there but for the grace of God go I".

Trying to virtue signal by getting all sanctimonious about what was a throw away quip is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Comedy tends to border on a dark fine line of truth. There was nothing sick about admiring the cleverness in @Winnipeg Fury‘s post and getting bemused by KW519’s over reaction.

it's not much of an overreaction in the context, it's pretty tame (i've done more annoying **** on here). plus making this point a month after the first post and several days after the later is just antagonistic for no reason.

Edited by matty

Well worth a listen as this podcast covers many of the regular talking points on here:

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-184

Paul Beirne {45:00} points out at the end that what will make or break the league will be the number of renewals after year one. He emphasizes the importance of the game day experience related to fan group generated atmosphere in that context.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Paul Beirne {45:00} points out at the end that what will make or break the league will be the number of renewals after year one.

This is going to seem knit-picky, but he doesn't limit it to renewals after year one. He just says that renewals are an important indicator of success because it shows that people are enjoying the experience. Every other quote I've seen in the past has emphasized that the owners were in it for the long haul, and that they were aware it might take time to grow. The way you worded this made me think that owners might not be willing to stick it out if season 2 numbers are not up to snuff, but I don't think that was meant to be implied in his response.

Edited by C2SKI

On 3/20/2019 at 10:21 PM, m-g-williams said:

....and they're going through all their alt-right talking points/jabs....

one of the things I hate most about these forums....

edit: looks like some of the messages were deleted, but I was referring to pepe frog memes, folks calling others 'snowflakes', accusations of 'virtue signalling'.... expecting to be called **** next...

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

37 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

i'm like 97.25% sure at some point in the next few years these forums are going to cause some serious **** for someone

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

alt-right?

Are you still here, bringing politics into the main forum? Every time you say something you look even more stupid, which I must say is quite an accomplishment.

7 hours ago, C2SKI said:

This is going to seem knit-picky, but he doesn't limit it to renewals after year one....

The context was a question along the lines of what was the one thing you would hope for at the end of year one. Beyond that he didn't sound like somebody who was contemplating failure. It was basically just a case of stating the obvious about what would provide the basis for strong future growth. Surprised nobody has mentioned some of the other things he talked about. The discussion of expansion {42:30 onwards} is worth a listen. The "regions of intensification" in southern Ontario and lower mainland BC part with target markets such as Windsor, London, Niagara region, K/W, probably Mississauga and maybe Brampton, Barrie and Durham specifically mentioned sounded good to me in terms of a vision of where they want to take things. Hope it works.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

...and people here wonder why the Voyageurs have trouble retaining members. 

You bolded the wrong part of my quote.

Funny story, today I entered Junior Kingue’s contest on Instagram (see his Instagram story). I ended up winning and he’s sending me cleats! Anyways I just find his situation funny because he’s very present on social media. I was hoping to talk to him while playing and ask him questions.. unfortunately he didn’t have his microphone on!