CPL General

22 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I dunno, I kind of disagree. I think it's more mickey mouse if they make them blow up the roster. has shades of MLS allocation draft. I don't think any other league would make them blow up their roster just for joining.

it's mickey mouse to let a team have a year head start and force itself into a place of power over everyone else when it might not have been involved as other parties. also just because mls does something doesn't mean it's a bad thing. mls for better of worse might be the best operated league in the world and is far from a mickey mouse league at this point.

Fwiw the NHL-WHA merger was seen somewhat as a way for the NHL to get back at the WHA, as the latter league poached the former for talent during its years of operation. The CPL doesn't have a basis for holding a grudge against the USL in this respect.

Of course, I would be quite surprised if the Ottawa Fury weren't negotiating roster issues with the CPL. The CPL wants parity, but Ottawa is looking out for its own best interests.

26 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I agree.. don’t blow them up.  Look at the Vegas knights in the top hockey league who made the cup final v 30 teams that had all the top talent prior.  Ottawa doesn’t have all the top soccer talent or the top Canadian talent for that matter... sure maybe they should drop a few players (and they’ll lose others through loans) but other than that?  Keep them.. it helps the Ottawa franchise, fans and the league.  There are literally tons of Canadians.. I bet most of you hadn’t even heard of half of Ottawa’s Canadians 3 years ago so why blow them up? 

i say partly blow up not fully. keep the staff, a core group of players, give them an advantage to negotiate with their unprotected talent. one of the biggest problems with the league allowing them into cpl as is is that it hurts a key part of what the cpl could be very easily use to sell itself which is a competitive league free of predictability that gives fans more reason to care.

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

it's mickey mouse to let a team have a year head start and force itself into a place of power over everyone else when it might not have been involved as other parties. also just because mls does something doesn't mean it's a bad thing. mls for better of worse might be the best operated league in the world and is far from a mickey mouse league at this point.

I got no problems with MLS, though im not sure its the best operated league in the world.

We agree to disagree. You think there should be some sort of fairness to the launch of the league and I don't. 

I think any team with leverage should use it. I imagine Cavalry is likely going to be grabbing a handful of players from their PDL team as well.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

i say partly blow up not fully. keep the staff, a core group of players, give them an advantage to negotiate with their unprotected talent. one of the biggest problems with the league allowing them into cpl as is is that it hurts a key part of what the cpl could be very easily which is a competitive league free of predictability that gives fans more reason to care.

I get what you’re saying and somewhat agree but I think it would kind of throw a wildcard into the mix.  You know, the big bad team that pre existed that everyone wants to beat. 

Also as a sign of respect to Ottawa who took a leap of faith before any of these other franchises (save Edmonton, who will surely have their advantages as well).

Edited by Keegan

Just now, Keegan said:

I get what you’re saying and somewhat agr is buwas I think it would kind of throw a wildcard into the mix.  You know, the big bad team that pre existed that everyone wants to beat. 

people have to care about their team and that team first for that to be a selling point.

1 minute ago, matty said:

people have to care about their team and that team first for that to be a selling point.

Well, naturally I think people will care about their team.  Ottawa?  Maybe not so much but then again it’s a team that has been to an nasl final and got a result against TFC.. it’s minuscule pedigree but sill pedigree for a start.

A bit of a sidebar, but Ottawa basically has a mid-pack USL team this season. Throughout the launch of the CPL, people have speculated how the league would stack up relative to USL. If Ottawa's roster were to be kept relatively intact, it would be quite possible to compare the two leagues directly out of the gate.

10 minutes ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

A bit of a sidebar, but Ottawa basically has a mid-pack USL team this season. Throughout the launch of the CPL, people have speculated how the league would stack up relative to USL. If Ottawa's roster were to be kept relatively intact, it would be quite possible to compare the two leagues directly out of the gate.

They would do well at first do to chemistry but assuming other club would try to sign talented internationals, not sure they'd keep the rhythm throughout the season.

19 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I got no problems with MLS, though im not sure its the best operated league in the world.

We agree to disagree. You think there should be some sort of fairness to the launch of the league and I don't. 

I think any team with leverage should use it. I imagine Cavalry is likely going to be grabbing a handful of players from their PDL team as well.

That's fair. I think a near level CPL offers more pros than an Ottawa entering as is. Ottawa would mostly be unharmed by losing talent but CPL could gain a lot from balance in year one (especially with players trying for a Gold Cup roster spot).

By the way a few friends and I were talking.. why does the MLS expansion draft even exist?  It makes sense in top sport leagues but not there.. they could easily find 23-30 players on their own in the years leading up and if they want players from mls they have assets to trade for them.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

By the way a few friends and I were talking.. why does the MLS expansion draft even exist?  It makes sense in top sport leagues but not there.. they could easily find 23-30 players on their own in the years leading up and if they want players from mls they have assets to trade for them.

Because it's the top league for players from the United States/Canada

1 minute ago, matty said:

Because it's the top league for players from the United States/Canada

Okay so that’s more logical.. so why not just have to leave a few domestics unprotected?  The fact you lose internationals is plain stupid - there are literally thousands of other players on the planet good enough for MLS.  

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

By the way a few friends and I were talking.. why does the MLS expansion draft even exist? 

For the same reason any draft exists: to artificially deflate the market price of players, prevent free movement of players, and force a form of indentured servitude on those who wish to get a college education. 

We’ve seen Larson go from semi-trolling the CPL to become its biggest cheerleader in the last year as he learned more about it.  He’s really become passionate about the league from what I’ve seen.  This is a good move for him and good for the league.  I’m glad to have someone that well known in soccer circles creating content for the league.  

38 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

We’ve seen Larson go from semi-trolling the CPL to become its biggest cheerleader in the last year as he learned more about it.  He’s really become passionate about the league from what I’ve seen.  This is a good move for him and good for the league.  I’m glad to have someone that well known in soccer circles creating content for the league.  

Is he following the money or has genuinely changed? 

40 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Weird.. He probably just sees the potential if it takes off and he’s the head media guy.  Leaving the Sun must mean it’s good money.

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think as it transitioned from word of mouth and became more mainstream his opinion changed.  He took his Rogers/ TFC blinders off and looked at the big picture.  

Look I still love TFC ok and it’s a strange dichotomy in my own head too with Forge and a team I’ve followed closely since day 1, 11 years ago.    I understand the mental change. 

Just my opinion but I think he’s genuinely changed his mind like many soccer fans in the country.  It’s a normal transition.

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

He semi-trolls anyone that wasn't TFC.  I won't bother to read any of the shit he puts out.  He's a bad writer and a bad journalist, and I have no time for him.

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

He semi-trolls anyone that wasn't TFC.  I won't bother to read any of the shit he puts out.  He's a bad writer and a bad journalist, and I have no time for him.

Ya, I understand the logic of this hire, but I am not happy about it. Can't stand how obnoxious he is on twitter, picking fights with supporters (especially in relation to CPL) ... let alone him being a trump apologist/problematic politics...