CPL General

2 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Cavs vs Suns 

Bills vs Dolphins 

Coyotes vs Ducks

None of those are as weird and don't act like they are.

They're all animals (Dolphins, Coyotes, Ducks), objects (suns), characters (cavaliers) or a play on words (bills). The teams also fully embrace their home locations in their full names.

Forge vs. Pacific is like Run vs. Europe. It's fucking weird

Edited by matty

So just noticed this little note about FCE's run in the NASL in an article about Davies from the Sun.

"...Fath understands a big number like $12 million. That’s in the ballpark of the total number of dollars he’s dropped fielding his team in the North American Soccer League until now..."

Interesting to finally get a "figure" on what the NASL was costing Fath and pleased to see it didn't sour him on continuing with the CPL. I think we can kind of lay to rest him not being serious about FCE or not being the kind of owner the CPL needs.

Edited by matty

On 7/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

New article from Milton dealing with roster allocation.

- salary cap for players and coaches. Average salaries between $40-60K. Possible overlap.

- acquisitions will be made from five pools of players in a stepped sequence.

Details:

1. Foundational

These are the top Canadian players already playing pro at a high level. They'd be put in a pool, and individual teams would deal with, and try to sign, them. 

2. Up-and-coming

These are players coming up through various systems, such as Ontario's League 1 or other developmental leagues who have a future but aren't on big-name teams or maybe haven't been included in the national team system. It could also include players in, say, third division European leagues who aren't making much money. 

3. Home territory

This bucket would contain players that a team would identify to the league as coming from their immediate or regional market, and would be important to fan support and development. "One of the things we are adamant about is creating hometown heroes," Clanachan says. "There are a lot of great soccer players who will be, and are, coming out of Hamilton." You could envision former Mac players or, say, Hamilton-raised national team goalie Milan Borjan (now playing for Red Star Belgrade) on the list Forge FC submits.

4. Canadian universities and colleges

The CPL has been talking to USports about conducting a university draft.

5. Open market

When the first four buckets have been completed, the more-than-50 per cent Canadian content should be fulfilled for all teams. The open market pool could be a mixture of Canadians and internationals. "We don't know exactly what we're going to get there," Clanachan says. He doesn't anticipate any big-name big-money internationals to start with, but the league has heard from a number of non-Canadians interested in playing here. And some non-Canadian club systems have expressed interest in a working arrangement with the CPL.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8749807-cpl-players-will-come-from-five-pools-/

So the next Alphonso Davies would be identified as "Home Territory" talent and the local CPL team would get 1st opportunity at him.

Hypothetically, the next superstar is from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia ? 

1. HFX Wanderers would get 1st shot at signing him
  2. Starts in CPL at age 15 and burns the leagueat age 16 and 17

What do you do if an MLS team wants to buy an Alphonso Davies level of talent?

• Hold on to him hoping for a higher asking price
  • Sell to Montreal Impact 
  • Sell to Euro side at a lower asking price 

Due to the mandate the league gave itself to develop talent ultimately for the national program,

I think

• Superstar level (Millar, Davies) --> Europe: Higher ceiling for the player and help CPL gain notoriety . Might pay more initially but they would be in a better position to flip at a higher price later and CPL gets little recognition while stuck with the MLS feeder label

What do you guys think?

About 5 minutes ago it just dawned on me how much of a head start Ottawa is going to have against the rest of the teams if they join the CPL.

Will be seriously hard to take them down in that debut season considering the pieces they've already acquired and the chemistry while other teams are playing together for the first time.

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

About 5 minutes ago it just dawned on me how much of a head start Ottawa is going to have against the rest of the teams if they join the CPL.

Will be seriously hard to take them down in that debut season considering the pieces they've already acquired and the chemistry while other teams are playing together for the first time.

Good thing we all like a challenge!

43 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

It’s going to be difficult because they had a head start but their lineup, especially their import players aren’t great players either.

Last week they started 6 Canadians - Crepeau, Edwards, Attakora, Mueiller-Giguere, Dixon and Haber.  

I’m sure other teams are going to be able to match that quality.  The issue will be as you said the fact that they’ve played together for a while.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

So the next Alphonso Davies would be identified as "Home Territory" talent and the local CPL team would get 1st opportunity at him.

Due to the mandate the league gave itself to develop talent ultimately for the national program,

I think

• Superstar level (Millar, Davies) --> Europe: Higher ceiling for the player and help CPL gain notoriety . Might pay more initially but they would be in a better position to flip at a higher price later and CPL gets little recognition while stuck with the MLS feeder label

What do you guys think?

I don’t think it’s an issue that is going to come up really.  If someone is a Davies level talent he’ll be sold at 18 and none of the 3 Canadian clubs is likely to buy him before then.  Why?  Because MLS likes bargain deals and a player of that caliber won’t fetch the value CPL teams will want = they’ll be sold to Europe.  I can’t see the money being right.. just keep in mind how many times have MLS teams bought from usl teams and they’re partners.  Imagine us as a competitor selling to the Canadian clubs?  It would be horrible optics on their part basically acknowledging that it’s okay to start in CPL and be sold to mls rather than join from the offset ... MLS will never do that. We’ll have just as good luck selling to Mexican teams than mls... fewer barriers and politics.  Realistically though 18 you’re good to go  - we really need to depend on the Canadian player here to raise our level to a respectable one where a kid dominating at 17 really means something and it’s not a “ya but” league.  And here is where I come back to stressing the importance of the voyageurs cup and champions league - we need to push for as many matches for all CPL clubs in both competitions as possible and that should be a top priority. 

Edited by Keegan

4 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

So, while others will be clueless about the CPL, Voyageurs should be placing online bets on Ottawa to win in the first season.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think

What do you guys think?

Why would I sell a player for less money? Where in Europe? Are they going straight to the first team? Would the MLS offer me a portion of what they get when he is sold? How serious is the league's mandate?

I think you sell to who has the better offer cause that's normal.

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s going to be difficult because they had a head start but their lineup, especially their import players aren’t great players either.

Last week they started 6 Canadians - Crepeau, Edwards, Attakora, Mueiller-Giguere, Dixon and Haber.  

I’m sure other teams are going to be able to match that quality.  The issue will be as you said the fact that they’ve played together for a while.

Because Ottawa are a middle-of-the-pack USL team, I don’t see them dominating the CanPL. They do have some talent, although three of their best young Canadians, Crépeau, Meilleur-Giguère and Reid, are on loan from MLS teams. Crépeau and Meilleur-Giguère are playing so well that the Impact are going to want to keep them. No idea what plans FC Dallas have for Reid.

Edited by Grandbloke

5 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think the CPL requires Ottawa to blow up a lot of it's roster. If they don't the league looks like child's play and deeply unfair. Tell them they can protect 5-8 players go from there

4 minutes ago, matty said:

I think the CPL requires Ottawa to blow up a lot of it's roster. If they don't the league looks like child's play and deeply unfair. Tell them they can protect 5-8 players go from there

I dunno, I kind of disagree. I think it's more mickey mouse if they make them blow up the roster. has shades of MLS allocation draft. I don't think any other league would make them blow up their roster just for joining.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

I dunno, I kind of disagree. I think it's more mickey mouse if they make them blow up the roster. has shades of MLS allocation draft. I don't think any other league would make them blow up their roster just for joining.

I agree.. don’t blow them up.  Look at the Vegas knights in the top hockey league who made the cup final v 30 teams that had all the top talent prior.  Ottawa doesn’t have all the top soccer talent or the top Canadian talent for that matter... sure maybe they should drop a few players (and they’ll lose others through loans) but other than that?  Keep them.. it helps the Ottawa franchise, fans and the league.  There are literally tons of Canadians.. I bet most of you hadn’t even heard of half of Ottawa’s Canadians 3 years ago so why blow them up? 

10 minutes ago, matty said:

Victoria will crush 'em. We've got the best soccer people. 

16 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah, me too. Early pioneers for the game in our country deserve to be rewarded in some fashion.