I have seen a couple people mention of fans coming up with their own organic nicknames for teams eventually. Here are my guesses.

Name -> Nickname

Cavalry -> Calgary

HFX Wanderers -> Halifax

Valour -> Winnipeg

Having a harder time coming up with one for York 9.

Does anybody want to take on a mini project? I’m curious what the league-wide memberships total is up to by now. Off the top of my head I think on the low end it’s at least 130+500+500+600. So at least 1730, probably actually over 1800? Anyone have the most recently tweeted numbers?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody want to take on a mini project? I’m curious what the league-wide memberships total is up to by now. Off the top of my head I think on the low end it’s at least 130+500+500+600. So at least 1730, probably actually over 1800? Anyone have the most recently tweeted numbers?

Latest numbers.

Calgary 553

Winnipeg 650

Halifax 590

York 142

= 1935

That’s only members who have Twitter.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Latest numbers.

Calgary 553

Winnipeg 650

Halifax 590

York 142

= 1935

That’s only members who have Twitter.

let's get those numbers up. sponsors look at that ****

Take it for what it's worth, but Quebec City may not be dead after all. This is coming directly from Eric Bergeron, Vice-President and Marketing Director for a hockey simulation game.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

Curious.  Out of seemingly nowhere but interesting given the St John's buzz out of nowhere this week as well.  However not getting excited until I see something from a known source

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Curious.  Out of seemingly nowhere but interesting given the St John's buzz out of nowhere this week as well.  However not getting excited until I see something from a known source

I seem to recall reading recently that there would be ten teams approved in 2018, but that only eight would play in 2019. Maybe QC and town will be provisionally awarded franchises and play in a 2020 expansion?

13 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I seem to recall reading recently that there would be ten teams approved in 2018, but that only eight would play in 2019. Maybe QC and town will be provisionally awarded franchises and play in a 2020 expansion?

IIRC didn't Beirne state that they were looking at ~12 teams in year two? If that's the case there are probably 3-4 teams that are somewhere in between year 1 and year 2 in terms of readiness and that is what we are seeing with these St. John's and Quebec City rumors.

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

My French isn’t as good as some around here, but from my understanding the tweet implies playing in 2019.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

IIRC didn't Beirne state that they were looking at ~12 teams in year two? If that's the case there are probably 3-4 teams that are somewhere in between year 1 and year 2 in terms of readiness and that is what we are seeing with these St. John's and Quebec City rumors.

Clanachan said Wednesday 8 minimum for sure at launch and 2 expansion teams for 2020 most likely announced right away.  We practically know of 7 and the 8th is unknown (possibilities include Ottawa, St John's, Quebec, Fraser Valley)

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

My French isn’t as good as some around here, but from my understanding the tweet implies playing in 2019.

Twitter translated for me  but yeah he said 2019.  Not getting excited personally but find it interesting the uptick in rumours the last week of groups seemingly wanting in for launch

I realise that Voyageurs Forum hate this guy and I've been asked not to post his tweets....but CPL-Rumours is now involved in this rumour. He just realesed this info claiming that the team may play in Levis. Once again, take it for what it's worth. I'm not jumping in jubilation. Not yet.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

In fairness to whoever they are, they have been right a number of times. As far as I can see, they have yet to be wrong about anything (at least nothing that can be yet corroborated)

Hearing that Victoria is IN for 2019.

Calgary people pretty much spilling the beans today that they’ll be the second CPL club unveiled (May 17th) after York this Thursday

Without landing a stadium deal in Surrey or Langley, the owners of Port City are hoping to shift their franchise to Langford on Southern Vancouver Island. There won’t be a lower mainland team in the league for 2019

Edited by deschamp86

It appears that Eric Bergeron is being sincere with everyone. He does not like spreading false rumors, but he will confirm today with his source one more time. He's putting his reputation of his gaming firm at risk if he's spreads false rumors. He's a true professional.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

I don't follow it but I see it retweeted enough.  A lot of the "rumours" is stuff said around the net, or items anyone can speculate on and just put on a twitter account.  You throw enough out there you're bound to hit some things right  You can't say they haven't been wrong when some of the stuff they say hasn't been decided. 

-DAZN appears to be frontrunner of distribution

-Nick Dasovic turned down the York 9 job

-Hamilton won't be called Founders

-Paulus/Flemming front runners for FCE job

They might be connected.  I don't know.  I'm just skeptical is all I'm saying

Edited by Rheo

BREAKING: Also trademarked the league name in French, "Premier League Canadienne". On the one hand, very standard to trademark the French equivalent in Canada. On the other, timing of this, with coincidental timing about Quebec from Eric Bergeron, noting Quebec was "a formality", per a source.

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I don't follow it but I see it retweeted enough.  A lot of the "rumours" is stuff said around the net, or items anyone can speculate on and just put on a twitter account.  You throw enough out there you're bound to hit some things right  You can't say they haven't been wrong when some of the stuff they say hasn't been decided. 

-DAZN is tv frontrunner

-Nick Dasovic turned down the York 9 job

-Hamilton won't be called Founders

-Paulus/Flemming front runners for FCE job

They might be connected.  I don't know.  I'm just skeptical is all I'm saying

DAZN isn't "TV" though. Giving them exclusive rights domestically would be nuts.

Just now, mpg_29 said:

DAZN isn't "TV" though. Giving them exclusive rights domestically would be nuts.

was quickly paraphrasing some of the account's tweets and put it wrong.  I'll amend the original post

24 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Eric Bergeron back tracking a bit but says he will try to get more details today.

Now he's doubling down, new tweet says the provincial association is contacting clubs to prepare them for structural changes that will take place after the arrival of a team in Quebec City in 2019

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

was quickly paraphrasing some of the account's tweets and put it wrong.  I'll amend the original post

Yeah I just read the tweet in question:

It would be bad if DAZN has exclusive rights domestically imo. For a new league to competently forgo TV in the country it exists in would not be a smart move.

The only way it would make sense is if DAZN just offered an obscene amount of money and you couldn't say no.