3 minutes ago, admin said:

I wonder if that is a liability issue.  Every piece of data that people want to ignore when having these discussions would not be ignored by lawyers in a lawsuit.

There is a really interesting conversation to be had here relevant to canpl. That is how do we convince people to support anything that isn't Messi.  Be it cnwt, or the canpl.

A good race doesn't always need to be the fastest race ever.

Honestly, after attending a few games at the Women's World Cup in Montréal and Ottawa, I just about gave up on MLS and NASL (where Ottawa was playing in 2015). I liked it a lot more than the traditional soccer I was used to attending. 

I guess exposure is what we need. The lack of which is what everyone on this site has been complaining about since I joined a few months ago.

Agree with the comment on the race not needing to be fast only entertaining.  

13 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

So, I missed the announcement on the 8 teams. However, I noticed the name in the tweet was "Ottawa" and not "Fury". 

Who are Alferi's sources? I'd be curious to see with whom he has been speaking, and if it is PLC of OSEG that is leaky.  

Yeah but he didn't really use team names in any of the cases so not sure how much I read into that. ie He used Edmonton not FC Edmonton.

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah but he didn't really use team names in any of the cases so not sure how much I read into that. ie He used Edmonton not FC Edmonton.

A re-brand is in order.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

For Edmonton maybe...I don't think Ottawa really needs to though.

Ottawa doesn't need a full rebrand, but they definitely do need to be called something other than "Fury." Ideally something that actually has a speck of relevance to Ottawa, frankly even just Ottawa FC would be far better.

Edited by Zem

2 minutes ago, Zem said:

Ottawa doesn't need a full rebrand, but they definitely do need to be called something other than "Fury." Ideally something that actualy has a speck of relevance to Ottawa, frankly even just Ottawa FC would be far better.

Totally disagree. Change in name at this point would come across as amateurish and I think the name has significant market recognition.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Totally disagree. Change in name at this point would come across as amateurish and I think the name has significant market recognition.

I think the other branding has just as much market regognition, and it doesn't change the fact that it's an atrocious name that sounds like it was thought up by an 8 year-old. A different name that actually had some kind of relevance to Ottawa would make up for whatever loss of brand recognition incurred by changing it.

And frankly having a name meant to appeal to kids that has nothing in particular to do with the city you want to represent already comes across as amateurish.

49 minutes ago, Zem said:

I think the other branding has just as much market regognition, and it doesn't change the fact that it's an atrocious name that sounds like it was thought up by an 8 year-old. A different name that actually had some kind of relevance to Ottawa would make up for whatever loss of brand recognition incurred by changing it.

And frankly having a name meant to appeal to kids that has nothing in particular to do with the city you want to represent already comes across as amateurish.

You believe starting fresh with a new name and brand will have the same recognition in the city as the Fury?  How does that work are they going to spend millions on an advertising campaign?

15 hours ago, Blackdude said:

In another tweet he says to see the list of cities.

BC IS NOT A CITY YOU GEOGRAPHICALLY IGNORANT KNOB!

Sorry, I just couldn't hold that in.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

Actually, I think he meant to say Surrey rather than BC.

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You believe starting fresh with a new name and brand will have the same recognition in the city as the Fury?  How does that work are they going to spend millions on an advertising campaign?

I think both the Fury and FC Edmonton could benefit from a Columbus Crew style rebrand. Same name/colours/etc, but bringing the crest out of the minor leagues 

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think both the Fury and FC Edmonton could benefit from a Columbus Crew style rebrand. Same name/colours/etc, but bringing the crest out of the minor leagues 

I wouldn’t mind a change to the crest.

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

Same here, then.

Decided not to spark another pointless debate. ;):)

50 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Frankly I think it's a missed opportunity if somebody doesn't use New England Revolution as an inspiration in their style...

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/2018/05/fc-edmonton-alberta-rivalry-canadian-premier-league/

“I think the ownership group have some decisions to make at this point. But the reality is, 3,000 fans came out to watch an academy friendly. That’s a really big deal.”

Don't think FCE can be announced as being in until the Clarke Stadium expansion is agreed with the city, because they lose leverage if they drop the we won't be back unless things change posture. Maybe the way around that is the franchise being awarded provisionally subject to resolution of the stadium issue.

2 hours ago, ted said:

And York. At least, he isn't referring to a city called York.

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

And York. At least, he isn't referring to a city called York.

York is a quaint little village on the Grand River between Cayuga and Caledonia, not far from where I live!:)

The big takeaway from the basketball news is that it looks like Lee Grenier is no longer involved in the Saskatoon soccer project. That is a big lose.

From the Black Hole @FrTheBlackHole
FollowFollow @FrTheBlackHole
More

From the Black Hole Retweeted Lee Genier ??

Congrats Lee. Sad to lose you on the soccer front but excited for you and your new opportunity. Good luck!

From the Black Hole added,

DcMXBcrV4AEpxQL.jpg
Lee Genier ?? @LeeGenier
Incredibly excited to join the Canadian Elite Basketball League ? as President & Chief Operating Officer, Western Operations as we launch across Canada ?? today! Here we come Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Fraser Valley, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara! An amazin…
5:59 AM - 2 May 2018

8 minutes ago, masster said:

The big takeaway from the basketball news is that it looks like Lee Grenier is no longer involved in the Saskatoon soccer project. That is a big lose.

From the Black Hole @FrTheBlackHole
FollowFollow @FrTheBlackHole
More

From the Black Hole Retweeted Lee Genier ??

Congrats Lee. Sad to lose you on the soccer front but excited for you and your new opportunity. Good luck!

From the Black Hole added,

DcMXBcrV4AEpxQL.jpg
Lee Genier ?? @LeeGenier
Incredibly excited to join the Canadian Elite Basketball League ? as President & Chief Operating Officer, Western Operations as we launch across Canada ?? today! Here we come Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Fraser Valley, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara! An amazin…
5:59 AM - 2 May 2018

Does this mean that Saskatoon is out of the running for a CPL franchise. Can we confirm this? If so, this will be a huge loss.

Edited by Pat Carrasco