Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the CPL announcement seemed imminent, I stopped caring about the roster rules of American leagues. If anything this strengthens the CPL player pool.

I broke it down for you guys *** CPL Commissioner Clanachan interview  https://youtu.be/xQ5oAOq3pJk CPL working on different scenarios and schedules to restart the league Single ta

I just have to say, I am enjoying this league even more than I originally expected. I think in the 12 years I have followed MLS, I could probably count on two hands the amount of games I watched that

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

The only person that seems to be making a deal out of this is Dalla Costa, and his comments seem to do more with his disdain with rest of the NBL (except his beloved Lightening) than thinking with any clarity.

Well, the Lightning are remarkably well run for an independent minor pro basketball operation - far above the level of the rest of the NBL in general and most other similar leagues. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LAK said:

"Storm Warning!" I had season tickets for the Storm. I loved it. I was University student and worked lawn care in summer. It was a great summer with great memories. I loved watching guys like Chris Gatlin and Flying Bryan Pollard.

Trey Lyles who now plays for the Denver Nuggets of the NBA and was born in Saskatoon, is the son of Thomas Lyles a guy from Kentucky who played briefly for the Storm...he ended up staying cuz he met a girl (Trey's mom). 

I wondered how Trey Lyles was connected to Saskatoon. Thanks for that info!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...Morreale said the CEBL will borrow from both the CFL and Major League Soccer.

Not too worried about it after seeing this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steph Labbé was denied a place on the Calgary Foothills in the PDL, because of her gender. 

Has anyone asked the CanPL if they'd accept a female player on one of their teams? I'd wager a few of our WNT players could crack the XI of some of the CanPL teams with relative ease. 

It would be a super progressive move, and would generate more press for the league. I'd be in favour of it. 

Edited by ChrisinOrleans
Denied place in league, not on team.
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Steph Labbé was denied a place on the Calgary Foothills in the PDL, because of her gender. 

Has anyone asked the CanPL if they'd accept a female player on one of their teams? I'd wager a few of our WNT players could crack the XI of some of the CanPL teams with relative ease. 

It would be a super progressive move, and would generate more press for the league. I'd be in favour of it. 

I don't think that many of them could.  Women's soccer is slower than PDL and I do think that CPL is at a higher level than PDL. Also, the fact that FIFA says that women's can't play on men's team means that I'd be shocked that they would go that way anyway. If I'm CPL, I'm not touching it with a 10 foot-pole unless someone challenges the FIFA ruling  to the CAS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Steph Labbé was denied a place on the Calgary Foothills in the PDL, because of her gender. 

Has anyone asked the CanPL if they'd accept a female player on one of their teams? I'd wager a few of our WNT players could crack the XI of some of the CanPL teams with relative ease. 

It would be a super progressive move, and would generate more press for the league. I'd be in favour of it. 

I'm of two minds about it

On one hand, if they are good enough they are good enough, their gender shouldn't matter

On the other hand part of the idea of men's and women's leagues is that one isn't inferior to the other, one is just less developed, and it sort of undermines women's leagues and their development if it is seen as "moving up" to join a men's league

Of course it's a bit academic, since there are no semi-pro or professional teams for women in Calgary or Edmonton. Hopefully we see that change sooner rather than later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Steph Labbé was denied a place on the Calgary Foothills in the PDL, because of her gender. 

Has anyone asked the CanPL if they'd accept a female player on one of their teams? I'd wager a few of our WNT players could crack the XI of some of the CanPL teams with relative ease. 

It would be a super progressive move, and would generate more press for the league. I'd be in favour of it. 

It might generate some press, but it would also generate a metric fuck-ton of eye rolling and laughter.  There is already enough lingering prejudice against footy as a pussy sport, and guys like Giovinco regularly writhing around on the ground doesn't  help things.  Angling CPL as some kind of gender-blind league for progressives would be a great way to immediately alienate some of the people you hope to engage.  Not to mention the reputational damage to the quality of play in the league.  People resist the idea of MLS2 teams due to perception issue.  Declaring that the league is co-ed would be an order of magnitude worse.

Sorry if I sound like some narrow minded asshole, but there is no way CPL should move in this direction.  Establish women's teams and academies if it is financially feasible?  Absolutely.  But integrate women into the league as a mainstream element? I am all for equality, but just no.

Edited by dyslexic nam
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LAK said:

"Storm Warning!" I had season tickets for the Storm. I loved it. I was University student and worked lawn care in summer. It was a great summer with great memories. I loved watching guys like Chris Gatlin and Flying Bryan Pollard.

Trey Lyles who now plays for the Denver Nuggets of the NBA and was born in Saskatoon, is the son of Thomas Lyles a guy from Kentucky who played briefly for the Storm...he ended up staying cuz he met a girl (Trey's mom). 

Haha.  When I was in highschool my English teacher played for the Storm during the first season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It might generate some press, but it would also generate a metric fuck-ton of eye rolling and laughter.  There is already enough lingering prejudice against footy as a pussy sport, and guys like Giovinco regularly writhing around on the ground doesn't  help things.  Angling CPL as some kind of gender-blind league for progressives would be a great way to immediately alienate some of the people you hope to engage.  Not to mention the reputational damage to the quality of play in the league.  People resist the idea of MLS2 teams due to perception issue.  Declaring that the league is co-ed would be an order of magnitude worse.

Sorry if I sound like some narrow minded asshole, but there is no way CPL should move in this direction.  Establish women's teams and academies if it is financially feasible?  Absolutely.  But integrate women into the league as a mainstream element? I am all for equality, but just no.

I have no qualms about alienating sexists that would take issue with a woman participating in the league or identifies sports as 'pussy' or 'not pussy'. I'd go as far to say that if it takes appealing to them, that i'd rather the league fail. These are issues far more important than a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I have no qualms about alienating sexists that would take issue with a woman participating in the league or identifies sports as 'pussy' or 'not pussy'. I'd go as far to say that if it takes appealing to them, that i'd rather the league fail. These are issues far more important than a game.

1. At the outset, CPL won't be in a position to alienate anyone.

2.  I am not glorifying that perspective, just saying what I think would happen.

3.  I would far rather CPL succeed without initially taking a bleeding edge stand on a social justice issue, than fail because it tried to be uber progressive.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm of two minds about it

On one hand, if they are good enough they are good enough, their gender shouldn't matter

On the other hand part of the idea of men's and women's leagues is that one isn't inferior to the other, one is just less developed, and it sort of undermines women's leagues and their development if it is seen as "moving up" to join a men's league

Of course it's a bit academic, since there are no semi-pro or professional teams for women in Calgary or Edmonton. Hopefully we see that change sooner rather than later.

Let's remember that this is the PDL and NOT the CPL. If Foothills believes that Labbe is good enough to play in the league, than she should be given a chance.  It's not like they are going to attempt to groom her for a full senior National league, nor is she asking for it. She wants to test herself and get better.  It's not like the NWSL is some amazing quality of play.

Wickenheiser and Szabados both have and do play in lower Men's leagues, and no one thinks less of professional hockey because of it.

I think the PDL made a huge misstep here.

Of course...Just My Opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Symp_Res said:

Let's remember that this is the PDL and NOT the CPL. If Foothills believes that Labbe is good enough to play in the league, than she should be given a chance.  It's not like they are going to attempt to groom her for a full senior National league, nor is she asking for it. She wants to test herself and get better.  It's not like the NWSL is some amazing quality of play.

Wickenheiser and Szabados both have and do play in lower Men's leagues, and no one thinks less of professional hockey because of it.

I think the PDL made a huge misstep here.

Of course...Just My Opinion.

I completely agree on all points. The CPL talk is a hypothetical at this point

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet Ottawa is last.

Surprising about BC, with the change from Surrey I was worried it may get pushed back. Although the tweet doesn’t mention when they’ll begin play, 8 teams makes sense with PBs talk of one per week for 7 weeks.

Edited by BuzzAndSting
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toontownman said:

#tearsforsaskatoon.

I hear ya!  It's an exciting time with a coast to coast league starting up and some great rivalries if these 8 teams are confirmed, but I can't help being a bit dissapointed that no SK team is part of the launch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

#tearsforsaskatoon.

I'm a bit confused, and I'm taking this with a grain of salt because of it...I thought Belan had secured a temporary venue already? Not up to par?

My suspicion is still to swap Ottawa and Saskatoon until we hear it from the league officially, but we'll see

Edited by Complete Homer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm a bit confused, and I'm taking this with a grain of salt because of it...I thought Belan had secured a temporary venue already? Not up to par?

My suspicion is still to swap Ottawa and Saskatoon until we hear it from the league officially, but we'll see

Saskatoon was never going to be ready for 2019. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...