8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why watch Giovinco close to downtown when you can see the next Andrea Lombardo at Keele and Kirby? 

So this is the kind of stupid ******** you think you need to post, on a Canadian soccer supporters site, in a Canadian domestic league thread, after the single biggest unveiling to date.

You really are an ignorant *******.

i hope everyone mutes this tool.  This was literally the first post I un-muted, and this is the kind of ******** you think is helping things?  

^^^What this guy appears to have missed is that the emphasis in the promotional clip is very much on being a league for Canadians by Canadians. That means highlighting the sort of players that haven't been securing long term contracts in MLS terms since TFC launched like Andrea Lombardo about a decade ago. It would be nice to think that soccer people in the GTA will flock to see a GTA team focusing on local GTA talent, but the reality is that people in the GTA do not have a track record of doing that sort of thing over the last few decades, which makes a York Region team more difficult to market with a heavily Canadian roster than something like the Ottawa Fury. Rightly or wrongly some big name past his prime player from Serie A is still much more likely to get the Woodbridge crowd out, for example, than some local player that has played for the CMNT's U-20 team a few times and if the York Region team wants to make a splash that would probably be the best way to go about it.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Score article with some tidbits from Clanachan:

https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1535210

According to CPL commissioner David Clanachan, the search for the inaugural class of franchises is down to 20 prospective cities, with more founding clubs set to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

"We are sticking to the idea that we will launch between eight to 10 teams, probably circling more around eight at this point and time, but you never know," Clanachan told theScore on Friday. "It depends on where people are in the process. As I talk about those 20 different communities and cities that we're dealing with it, everyone is at a different point in their process. We have to let that take its natural turn."

Clanachan expressed that the league is now looking to partner with ownership groups that have a "deeper understanding" of the developmental objectives the CPL aims to reach, while also highlighting a need for serviceable venues and a clear business plan from an operations standpoint. As he puts it, the CPL is "building a soccer industry" and the right owner is one who buys into that plan.

The league is quite obviously in its infancy stages, though Clanachan's five-year vision isn't a quiet one. He hopes to inspire lifelong "raving fans" who "claim ownership of the club in their area." He also hopes to see "deep rivalries" develop naturally, while targeting attendance in the 10,000-12,000 range.

Edited by mpg_29

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^What this guy appears to have missed is that the emphasis in the promotional clip is very much on being a league for Canadians by Canadians

Hey, what'd I do? Mauro Ranallo is as Canadian as it comes. 

4 hours ago, admin said:

“This is about Canada. It’s not about anybody else,” Montagliani said. “We will never build any equity in football if we don’t have our own league. This is what the CPL is all about.”

Absolutely 100% correct Vic!

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Patently absurd statement when there is no national league in hockey.

We do. It's called the NHL which was founded in 1917 in Montreal. The TRUE original teams were all Canadians. National stood for "Canada nationwide". We invited US cities afterwards and we know the results today, hoping we never do that again...

Let me know if you need the address to the nearest embassy. Seems like you're looking for a green card

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Patently absurd statement when there is no national league in hockey.

Football is very different. That is just the reality.

And on a facetious note: Ever heard of the National Hockey League? :D

Edited by dsqpr

Just now, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Can people stop quoting him? It ruins this thread for everyone who has him blocked. 

Oops! :D

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

how do you block people on here 

Menu (top right) --> Account --> Ignored Users.

Although you might want to consider whether it is a good idea to shut somebody down just because they have a different opinion. Differing opinions are the lifeblood of healthy debate. Personally, I only tend to shut people down when they are a$$holes.

6 hours ago, longlugan said:

Please explain to me, someone who has been following this whole process from the very beginning, what it is about today's announcement that is  supposed to impress me so much as to bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Yeah, tears are a bit much, but actually, publicly, finally getting started is an important milestone. 

Hey Blizzard... please take this with the intended spirit.   I have always given you credit.  In the early days of TFC I learned from you and I appreciated your perspective.  I have defended you here and elsewhere when people have tried to shout you down.

You are a reasonable person, with a very valuable perspective!

I don't know if I have ever met you in person, and if I have I hope I have thanked you for the education because I do value what I have learned from you.  

Given all these things...I ask you to consider this:   You can help drive a positive discussion, or you can, well,  do the opposite.  In a normal situation your view, and especially your perspective (which is earned, unlike a lot of people on this board) is a valuable part of the discourse.  

But right now... this minute... We are at a critical point in our history.  Not just CPL... ALL OF CANADIAN SOCCER.  

I ask you to ask yourself:   "AM I ADDING TO THE CONVERSATION IN A POSITIVE MANNER?"  If the answer is yes then have at it! Move the conversation forward and educate the people here who are eager for information.  But if the answer isn't "no"...  then maybe... for a few days or weeks.... maybe suppress your opinions.  They are no less valid... but maybe don't type them out on this board.  Let's pretend everything is wine and roses and move the conversation forward.  Everyone here wants it.

Sincerely,

Paul

Edited by mlsintoronto

I'm really excited by today.

I'd be willing to call most of us on here not just hardcore but even a level above that. Today's news came in at about the scope I was expecting. I didn't feel a tweet and a website with a countdown was over-hyped. How much of the general public is following CPL tweets right now? Hype would be all-out on social media and some traditional media too.  I didn't expect much more than a website re-launch. We not only got a website re-launch but a taste of the marketing campaign. A lot of research and planning goes into a logo and add-campaign. I love the logo and like their messaging about their objectives. People will be clear about what this is.

We understand that they only get one shot at it, that they always have much more in-place or developing than they can talk about. They only announce a league and 2 teams when it has been ratified by the CSA meeting. They only announce a commish 4-5 months after he's been hired.  Under-promise, over-deliver. I like this approach. It gives me confidence ... as much as I'm dying to hear a lot more, a lot sooner.

Even knowing they are keeping things under-wraps out of necessity until it is time for the roll-out, recently, I've had a growing concern about not hearing more tidbits via discussions at city councils and the like about stadiums.  It's only a year out.  I would have expected a lot more of this kind of thing by now.  But today my confidence has gone way-up. Clearly the rollout is now truly underway.  I'm hoping/guessing after the next announcement it will be one announcement a week to get us 6-8 teams by mid June and the World Cup...

Yup, I'm over-the-moon excited.

5 minutes ago, mlsintoronto said:

Sincerely,

Paul

Completely off topic, but I just wanted to say thanks for all of your hard work and for keeping a pulse on what all of us nutjobs think. I can't wait to be in the stands.

Edited by Complete Homer