CPL General

59 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

You are twisting and mis-representing all of my arguments.

0. I have never said, nor do I think, that you must "call it football or you are stupid". I did say that it is silly to use a different name than the real one, and you have twisted that statement.

1. I never said that the disparity between EPL and MLS revenue is because of the name football!! The point I made was that TV revenue is important to the success of a league and MLS does not have it because their marketing has failed. And yes, I do think their marketing would be more successful if they avoided the word "soccer" in their branding.

3. Of course I don't think MLS would be defunct if it did not use the word "soccer"! That is my whole point! Pay attention!

4. Yes, it is called Association Football, but in common usage the "association" half is dropped, as you well know. And I am well aware of the etymology for "soccer" and it does not affect my argument in the least.

5. Italy is not trying to establish a new league. Under very difficult circumstances, where small details could very well be the difference between failure and success.

I know you didn't specifically say "call it football or you are stupid". That's just a name I gave this age old argument about people trying to enforce the usage of the term "football" and exterminate the term "soccer". You picked up the torch for that argument by saying it would be fatal for branding to use the term "soccer" in a CPL context. My whole point is that there isn't a name that is "the real one", unless you are talking about the official name of Association Football. In my opinion, one nickname is as good as another.

I'm not going to go point by point again, but I would just like to highlight what you said in number 4. In common usage in Canada, the "football" half is dropped, and I think you get where I am going here.

If you want to say football I think that's fine. If you want to say soccer I think that's fine. But I don't think we have to be so ashamed of the more popular term in our home country.

One last thought. If you walked up to a random Canadian that doesn't know you, and doesn't know you are a soccer/football fan and said "Did you hear about the new pro football league starting up in Canada?". Presuming they don't know about the CPL do you think they would think you are talking about an Association Football league or a Canadian/American Football league? Likewise, if you said "Did you hear about the new pro soccer league starting up in Canada?" do you really think they would say "They are going to pay 10 year olds to play? Who do they think is going to watch that other than the kids' parents?"

Edited by Kent

wait what's wrong with using the term soccer exactly? cause soccer isn't the proper name and is a "kids game"? that's kind of a bad argument. We're in Canada, the popular term for the sport (not just here but also stateside) is soccer, which is an acceptable term in all English-speaking nations, and football is another sport which is really popular. Shit our FA is the CSA. 

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

was about to leave saw this and got very pleased. Snapchat and Instagram are going to be great for promoting the league and maximizing viewership among young people (I think 5% of U30 EPL fans mainly followed the league via them)

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I know you didn't specifically say "call it football or you are stupid". That's just a name I gave this age old argument about people trying to enforce the usage of the term "football" and exterminate the term "soccer". You picked up the torch for that argument by saying it would be fatal for branding to use the term "soccer" in a CPL context. My whole point is that there isn't a name that is "the real one", unless you are talking about the official name of Association Football. In my opinion, one nickname is as good as another.

I'm not going to go point by point again, but I would just like to highlight what you said in number 4. In common usage in Canada, the "football" half is dropped, and I think you get where I am going here.

If you want to say football I think that's fine. If you want to say soccer I think that's fine. But I don't think we have to be so ashamed of the more popular term in our home country.

One last thought. If you walked up to a random Canadian that doesn't know you, and doesn't know you are a soccer/football fan and said "Did you hear about the new pro football league starting up in Canada?". Presuming they don't know about the CPL do you think they would think you are talking about an Association Football league or a Canadian/American Football league? Likewise, if you said "Did you hear about the new pro soccer league starting up in Canada?" do you really think they would say "They are going to pay 10 year olds to play? Who do they think is going to watch that other than the kids' parents?"

I'm only replying to give you one more chance to make a reply where you don't put words into my mouth!

I am not trying to enforce anything. I am just giving my opinion. Where did I say that nobody is allowed to say "soccer"? And it is my opinion that most Canadians think of "soccer" as a recreational game, which would make it a poor branding choice for a professional league. And those running the CPL show appear to agree with me insofar as they have chosen to call the league CPL.

I never said that anybody should be ashamed of the word "soccer".

FIFA calls it football, CONCACAF calls it football (including in their CNL videos), the rest of the world calls it football. Any argument that it is actually called "soccer" is disingenuous and ridiculous.

I don't even know what point you are trying to make with your concluding waffle. It does not in any way refute my main point, which is that use of the word "soccer" would be a poor branding choice for a professional league (but perhaps a good one for a recreational/children's league).

I'm interested to see what words you are going to put into my mouth next, and what points I never made you are going to refute! You are actually becoming quite entertaining!

Edited by dsqpr

7 minutes ago, matty said:

@dsqpr what do you think of my refute of you saying it's poor branding? I don't think this debate really matters but I think you're driving one of the no need arguments that this thread and some members (myself included) are famous for.

Now THAT is a counter point that I respect!!

(And 50% agree with!)

Edited by dsqpr

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Branding in South Africa is a different thing from branding in Canada. Companies often use different brand names in different countries for the same product.

that wasn't my main point, here we call the sport soccer because there is already a mega popular sport called football. already saying "Canadian football" is off the table

48 minutes ago, matty said:

wait what's wrong with using the term soccer exactly? cause soccer isn't the proper name and is a "kids game"? that's kind of a bad argument. We're in Canada, the popular term for the sport (not just here but also stateside) is soccer, which is an acceptable term in all English-speaking nations, and football is another sport which is really popular. Shit our FA is the CSA. 

My experience has been that most Canadians associate the word "soccer" with a recreational sport, rather than a "big time" professional league. And I think that will make them less likely to take the league seriously.

Just now, dsqpr said:

My experience has been that most Canadians associate the word "soccer" with a recreational sport, rather than a "big time" professional league. And I think that will make them less likely to take the league seriously.

not really they all know it's a big deal sport and aside from mls, epl games broadcasted here use the term soccer rather than football in their marketing descriptions if they do use a term

6 minutes ago, matty said:

that wasn't my main point, here we call the sport soccer because there is already a mega popular sport called football. already saying "Canadian football" is off the table

I agree with your main point (obviously!). I have always called football football and have rarely had any problems in discussion because the context always makes it clear what is being discussed.

Edited by dsqpr

1 minute ago, matty said:

not really they all know it's a big deal sport and aside from mls, epl games broadcasted here use the term soccer rather than football in their marketing descriptions if they do use a term

The commentators on those broadcasts call it football. So people who actually watch the broadcast will know they are watching football. As opposed to those who just see it is on and watch something else.

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I agree with your main point (obviously!). I have always called football football and have rarely had any problems in discussion because the context always makes it clear what is being discussed.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

The commentators on those broadcasts call it football. So people who actually watch the broadcast will know they are watching football. As opposed to those who just see it is on and watch something else.

marketing reasons. anyways i'm out man you're point doesn't work at all for this region man sorry

8 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

. . . then what exactly is the issue in branding the product under its predominant name in this country? 

You will have to read my earlier posts, where I make my point as clearly as I am able.

@matty is right, this debate does not matter. And I'm going to bail out here (already much too late!) out of respect to other posters who don't need or want to hear me making the same points over and over again.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

You will have to read my earlier posts, where I make my point as clearly as I am able.

@matty is right, this debate does not matter. And I'm going to bail out here (already much too late!) out of respect to other posters who don't need or want to hear me making the same points over and over again.

I read the posts, but I just don't see anything conclusive about how calling it by its common name in this country is "fatal". Anyway, I think we've all had enough of that debate for a while. :)

I vote we start obsessing over new subjects: best/worst Snapchat filters for use by the league, perchance? :P

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I read the posts, but I just don't see anything conclusive about how calling it by its common name in this country is "fatal". Anyway, I think we've all had enough of that debate for a while. :)

I vote we start obsessing over new subjects: best/worst Snapchat filters for use by the league, perchance? :P

Let me just say that I think the CPL organizers have a very tough row to hoe in order to make the thing successful and they are going to need to get the details just right.