CPL General

This will be an unpopular opinion on here but I would definitely prefer either SC or a North American moniker like Fury, Whitecaps, or Impact in every case to the pretentious and absurd practice of giving North American teams European names.  I've played soccer since I could walk and I'm planning to be a fan of a Canadian soccer league.  When I talk about watching EPL on the weekend I say I'm going to watch some 'soccer'.  When I discuss the sport with friends we talk 'soccer'.  

That said, I'll support a whole league of FC's if that's what is decided, in order to watch my 'soccer'.  I say TFC all the time without ever thinking about what it stands for, although I wouldn't be caught dead referring to them as Toronto Football Club.  If I have to support a Hamilton United or Founders FC I'll do it gladly.   And I'll buy my jersey whatever the name and crest, and try to get over feeling ridiculous wearing a shirt that calls a soccer team 'FC'.

44 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

This will be an unpopular opinion on here but I would definitely prefer either SC or a North American moniker like Fury, Whitecaps, or Impact in every case to the pretentious and absurd practice of giving North American teams European names.  I've played soccer since I could walk and I'm planning to be a fan of a Canadian soccer league.  When I talk about watching EPL on the weekend I say I'm going to watch some 'soccer'.  When I discuss the sport with friends we talk 'soccer'.  

That said, I'll support a whole league of FC's if that's what is decided, in order to watch my 'soccer'.  I say TFC all the time without ever thinking about what it stands for, although I wouldn't be caught dead referring to them as Toronto Football Club.  If I have to support a Hamilton United or Founders FC I'll do it gladly.   And I'll buy my jersey whatever the name and crest, and try to get over feeling ridiculous wearing a shirt that calls a soccer team 'FC'.

Yeah I don't get it either. It's called soccer in virtually every other instance...yet the team names are "football". It just shows how directly copy-and-paste from Europe the team names are.

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Recap of the lease changes in Halifax

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/council-recap-draft-flyer-by-law-approved-possible-legalized-pot-framework-and-harrietsfield-water-904014

• Wanderers Ground lease change

Regional Council passed changes to Sports and Entertainment Atlantic’s lease at the Wanderers Grounds to allow events this year despite no professional soccer franchise.

Delays have forced the potential Canadian Premier League team proposed by SEA to be pushed back to 2019 instead of this year and with no games scheduled, SEA needed to change its lease to hold events this year.

Needing a two-thirds majority, Council approved the changes to the lease with SEA, who will now still be able to hold eight events at a pop-up stadium at the site between June 1 and Oct. 26 of this year.

The stadium will hold roughly 6,000 people and the lease says the eight approved events would be the only “full stadium ticketed events” of 2018 so that city staff can make sure the condition of the playing field isn’t “negatively impacted.”

The events would include rugby, soccer and football games, but no concerts. All events also have to conclude by 8 p.m.

HRM maintains control of the field and event scheduling, while SEA bores the cost of the design, construction and implementation of the stadium seating.

If SEA is in fact successful in attracting a CPL franchise for next season, HRM would then negotiate a new three-year lease based on what was learned during the 2018 ‘test year.’

Reading this I am just reminded of the red-tape and bureaucracy that exists.... and if it's like this for sports I can only imagine what it is like in other industries...

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Worth noting that last bit suggests the negotiations would only happen towards the end of this year, so it might be October or so until Halifax could confirm 2019 participation.

If I were the Halifax owners, I'd get the tentative announcement that the club is in for next year, pending the lease deal.  Go out and get season ticket deposits.  It will be very hard for gov't to say no if they have several thousand committed ticket holders.

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I agree with you.  It is called soccer in North America and there is nothing to be ashamed about it.  

1 minute ago, PJSweet said:

OK! Let me get this straight. Does ALL this means that Halifax may not be announced as a starting CPL team for 2019, given that they could not secure the 3-year lease? Is this correct? 

From what I've read in articles and from people online more in the know, the original agreement with the city was for 2018.  When the CPL didn't start they need to amend it to represent what SEA is planning for this year.  2019 lease will be revisited upon the granting of the team (which to every indication is a formality) and seeing what they learned at the events there this year.  

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

From what I've read in articles and from people online more in the know, the original agreement with the city was for 2018.  When the CPL didn't start they need to amend it to represent what SEA is planning for this year.  2019 lease will be revisited upon the granting of the team (which to every indication is a formality) and seeing what they learned at the events there this year.  

It seems to me that Halifax is a lock but also probably won't be announced in the next couple of months like we are expecting most of the teams to be.

I haven't seen any indication that they won't be announced in the initial (well second) launch of teams, other than speculation from the usual naysayers here.  Supporters in Halifax who are more in the know than I, indicate that the announcement for there will be soon.  Guess we'll know for sure shortly though.

Edited by Rheo

54 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

OK! Let me get this straight. Does ALL this means that Halifax may not be announced as a starting CPL team for 2019, given that they could not secure the 3-year lease? Is this correct? 

Tough to say for sure given Hamilton have already been announced despite not having a lease yet, but what's maybe more significant is that neither Halifax or Edmonton are in a position to confirm 2019 participation at the moment and Ottawa are unlikely to want to until their USL season is almost over, so my guess would be that this saga will drag on until at least October since there probably aren't enough ducks in a row yet. They should be able to announce York Region and Calgary, however, by the sounds of things. The mystery, for me at least, is what is happening with "Port City FC" in the Vancouver area, if they are far enough along to rate trademark registrations, because there has been nothing to suggest that the Surrey stadium has been approved and I don't think Swangard meets the guidelines on stadia that emerged in Edmonton.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I thought Paul Beirne or someone with the CPL mentioned that by the time World Cup started, the 2019 list of teams would be revealed.  It sounds like they've been putting together some ads of some sort (Ledgerwood going to Toronto for some secret CPL project) that will run during World Cup.  It would make a lot of sense to start ticket drives in those ads.

Just now, Jason said:

I thought Paul Beirne or someone with the CPL mentioned that by the time World Cup started, the 2019 list of teams would be revealed.  It sounds like they've been putting together some ads of some sort (Ledgerwood going to Toronto for some secret CPL project) that will run during World Cup.  It would make a lot of sense to start ticket drives in those ads.

They put out a bunch of pics on Instragram when they were doing it.  Unfortunately it was in the story setting so they disappeared after a day.  My guess is that Friday doesn't have much (if any) team announcements but is heavy in the relaunch of the website and the beginning of the ad campaign from the photo shoot.  I think they want to roll the teams out separately to maximize the media exposure locally and nationally.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

No spoilers out of respect for their payment model, but sounds like things are pretty advanced for stadium planning for York 9 as per Laramee/Rollins. Worth a listen

Corroborates and adds to what had been floating around the grapevine 

Link to podcast? 

56 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

@dsqpr

Yes let’s inexorably tie the fortunes of this league to a crusade to change a century worth North American linguistic norms. Pure marketing genius.

Crusade?

The name of the sport is "Association Football". Check out the official FIFA (not FISA) rulebook if you don't believe me.

And we play in CONCACAF (not CONCACAS).

In North America, "soccer" is widely regarded as a children's game.

Those are the facts. Do with them what you will.

Kudos to Toronto FC for realizing what they are and naming themselves accordingly. It is a trend that just makes sense and I hope and expect that CPL will recognize this.

Edited by dsqpr

10 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Eh. For the casual fan, I really don't think it would make much of a difference. No one seems to object to Major League Soccer, United Soccer League or the now-defunct North American Soccer League...

I would argue that the leagues you cite have been extraordinarily poor at marketing themselves and that branding themselves as a children's game has certainly not helped.

MLS 1.0 was a classic example of sticking to US pro sports norms rather than the global football standards. Fortunately they changed to a large degree. TFC is the classic example of launching in line with global football standards. 

It's the similar argument made of about not going metric - a global standard but we can't go there because it isn't in line with US norms. 

12 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

or the now-defunct North American Soccer League,

For the sake of accuracy, the North American Soccer League is not defunct but cancelled their 2018 season largely because of the late verdict for their injunction appeal.

Not looking good for the NASL's future though with only 4 clubs left in the league but time will tell if they return to the field in 2019.

Edited by CDNFootballer