CPL General

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Sooooo. Friday 6am? Odd time.

Not all that odd. If it is a big league reveal with teams etc (I am trying to convince myself that it won't be that. Please don't get your hopes up Kent) then people like us will be more than happy to slack off at work all day on a Friday talking about it.

But of course, I can't slack off at work to talk about it, because I won't be at work. I'll be busy at a wedding. Curse you Clanachan! Curse you!

20 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Sooooo. Friday 6am? Odd time.

My guess is that it will be like CSB news.  Story in a major paper for the morning edition of whatever the actual news is, launch the website and tv/radio appearances all day.  Sucks there's a Raptors game that night so they won't get the spotlight they'd want (assuming the news is major) but really there isn't a day you would get to yourself with everything that's going on.

Edited by Rheo

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Not all that odd. If it is a big league reveal with teams etc (I am trying to convince myself that it won't be that. Please don't get your hopes up Kent) then people like us will be more than happy to slack off at work all day on a Friday talking about it.

But of course, I can't slack off at work to talk about it, because I won't be at work. I'll be busy at a wedding. Curse you Clanachan! Curse you!

They won't be announcing teams via the website at 6am on a Friday.

I figured if this is a brand launch with a new logo and maybe a few more specifics they would aim for 9 or 10am EST and then have media coverage and avails all day.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I doubt it will be the team reveals. York 9 has an announcement event planned and word was they aren't announcing teams before the CSA AGM

I am predicting/guessing that we'll get the first look at their ad campaign and the league logo will go public on the website

Edited by Complete Homer

...so still some way to go on the pro soccer angle, but a positive from CanPL's standpoint that they rescinded the earlier deeply flawed pop-up resolution. Sounds like the rugby games this summer are being used to show the NIMBYs that it would be no big deal. Given Hamilton don't have a rental deal on THF yet, there's no obvious reason why Halifax couldn't be announced despite not having the stadium deal 100% resolved, if it's viewed as more than probable to happen.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

So I'm confused...does this mean they are building the pop-up stadium in Halifax or not...?

It's going forward. My understanding is that they had to rescind the original agreement that had a specific number of dates that they were allowed to use the facility for starting in 2018 since the league got pushed back. They have renegotiated a number of dates the stadium will be allowed this year (some rugby games and youth national soccer teams) and will renegotiate a 3 year agreement when the soccer team becomes a reality

Absolutely nothing negative to read into with this IMO

12 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's going forward. My understanding is that they had to rescind the original agreement that had a specific number of dates that they were allowed to use the facility for starting in 2018 since the league got pushed back. They have renegotiated a number of dates the stadium will be allowed this year (some rugby games and youth national soccer teams) and will renegotiate a 3 year agreement when the soccer team becomes a reality

I guess the big question is the timing of the negotiation of the 3 year deal. Obviously SEA and the CPL would want to get that done ASAP.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I guess the big question is the timing of the negotiation of the 3 year deal. Obviously SEA and the CPL would want to get that done ASAP.

True, but given that the previous agreement pass unanimously, and this current one passed unanimously, I don't think we have to worry to much about the next one unless something goes terribly wrong this summer

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

True, but given that the previous agreement pass unanimously, and this current one passed unanimously, I don't think we have to worry to much about the next one unless something goes terribly wrong this summer

Very true, I just know some people, or person, here is going to try to point out that this is some negative sign.

20 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Why do so many on this board spell it “Calvary?” There’s been half a dozen instances. Is it autocorrect? 

Just imagine the tifo possibilities... a line of crucified fans...everyone gets a crown of thorns... loincloths or Roman Legionnaire  outfits... so many choices and Life of Brian for inspiration. ;)

25 minutes ago, ted said:

Just imagine the tifo possibilities... a line of crucified fans...everyone gets a crown of thorns... loincloths or Roman Legionnaire  outfits... so many choices and Life of Brian for inspiration. ;)

I suppose having to cross a picket line of protesters every game would provide some mainstream media coverage

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Yep that is pretty well exactly what happened. They had to alter the deal to allow the single events in 2018. Then move the 3 years deal ahead to 2019-2021. The council will wait for the soccer team to be confirmed and then both can negotiate the three years when things are more concrete (number to teams in the league, number of home dates, what moths the season will operate ect).

Nothing to worry about at all - just a natural amendment due to the league  start being pushed back a year. Atleast that's the view from Halifax.

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Dear Canadian Premier League Fans,

The Canadian Premier League is excited to announce that we will be launching our new website to coincide with the launch of our new campaign, beginning this week.

Our new website will be the home for fans of the Canadian Premier League: who we are, what we stand for, and what we aspire to be. The site also boasts an intuitive and clean design and navigation. In addition, we will introduce a new fan program launching later this year that will contain content and features to provide you with a tailored and personalized experience.

This means that fans.canpl.ca will no longer be available and that your login will no longer be active. However, you can register to become a fan of the league or a member of your local club as they are announced.

We look forward to supporting the future of soccer in Canada together!

CPL Team
#CanPL

Thank God - the current site is just sad. Here's hoping they do away with "CanPL" once and for all and just use cplsoccer.ca to bring it in line with their Twitter and Instagram handles (not to mention common sense).

Fingers crossed that the site also offers French-language content that's actually equal to that provided in English. 

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Thank God - the current site is just sad. Here's hoping they do away with "CanPL" once and for all and just use cplsoccer.ca to bring it in line with their Twitter and Instagram handles (not to mention common sense).

Fingers crossed that the site also offers French-language content that's actually equal to that provided in English. 

Using the word "soccer" would be fatal branding. "Soccer" is widely regarded as a children's game in Canada. The top professional levels globally are all FOOTBALL leagues and everybody knows it.

There is a funny Laurel and Hardy movie where they are marching out of step with all the others. Time for Canada to get into step with the rest of the FOOTBALL World.

Edited by dsqpr

11 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

So I'm confused...does this mean they are building the pop-up stadium in Halifax or not...?

My understanding is that only one side of it is being built at this point (nearer the hospital) for the events this summer. I saw a seating chart for the rugby international recently (can't find it again, unfortunately) that had what were described as VIP boxes down the side that was supposed to be removed every winter in the initial amended council resolution (that's the side nearer the park where there were concerns about sight lines being ruined) and bleachers seating down the other. The plan for soccer was bleachers on both sides so they could get to 7000 in capacity terms. If that is still subject to future negotiations along with the question of naming rights there is still some way to go on this. It was only obvious that the last council resolution made it pretty much impossible for them to proceed without the inevitability of losing a lot of money FC Edmonton style (assuming the stated crowd expectations are required for break even) on reading the fine print, so checking that will be the way to find out where things really stand this time around.

Edit: found it :)

http://www.tickethalifax.com/events/53859014/canada-vs-usa-men8217s-rugby-international-test-match

Seating_Map.png

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Using the word "soccer" would be fatal branding. "Soccer" is widely regarded as a children's game in Canada. The top professional levels globally are all FOOTBALL leagues and everybody knows it....

Agree that appears to work a lot better in branding terms with the younger generation, but it's worth bearing in mind who the "Founders" are and what their views are likely to be on what FOOTBALL is in a Canadian context.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Using the word "soccer" would be fatal branding. "Soccer" is widely regarded as a children's game in Canada. The top professional levels globally are all FOOTBALL leagues and everybody knows it.

There is a funny Laurel and Hardy movie where they are marching out of step with all the others. Time for Canada to get into step with the rest of the FOOTBALL World.

Eh. For the casual fan, I really don't think it would make much of a difference. No one seems to object to Major League Soccer, United Soccer League or the now-defunct North American Soccer League, and I imagine most people half-curious about checking out the CPL are going to be Googling "soccer", not "football". I totally get that it's a purist thing, but I just don't see it as necessary. And so long as the national, provincial and territorial associations all use the word "soccer", I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

CPL has gone the route of "CPLSoccer" for Twitter and Instagram, so I really don't see why they wouldn't be consistent with their other platforms. And I really can't stress enough how stupid I find "CanPL" as an abbreviation/hashtag. The RCAF, RCN, RCMP, CSIS, CBSA, CBC, CN, CFL, CHL and a slew of other entities simply abbreviate to "C" without people getting confused as to the country in question. I think people can put two and two together for the CPL. 

[End rant]

Recap of the lease changes in Halifax

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/council-recap-draft-flyer-by-law-approved-possible-legalized-pot-framework-and-harrietsfield-water-904014

• Wanderers Ground lease change

Regional Council passed changes to Sports and Entertainment Atlantic’s lease at the Wanderers Grounds to allow events this year despite no professional soccer franchise.

Delays have forced the potential Canadian Premier League team proposed by SEA to be pushed back to 2019 instead of this year and with no games scheduled, SEA needed to change its lease to hold events this year.

Needing a two-thirds majority, Council approved the changes to the lease with SEA, who will now still be able to hold eight events at a pop-up stadium at the site between June 1 and Oct. 26 of this year.

The stadium will hold roughly 6,000 people and the lease says the eight approved events would be the only “full stadium ticketed events” of 2018 so that city staff can make sure the condition of the playing field isn’t “negatively impacted.”

The events would include rugby, soccer and football games, but no concerts. All events also have to conclude by 8 p.m.

HRM maintains control of the field and event scheduling, while SEA bores the cost of the design, construction and implementation of the stadium seating.

If SEA is in fact successful in attracting a CPL franchise for next season, HRM would then negotiate a new three-year lease based on what was learned during the 2018 ‘test year.’