CPL General

Just a couple of personal thoughts on the names

-I know most don't like Founders but on the Vocal Minority pod they suggested (while mocking it) that it could be a slogan type thing (ie you never walk alone) not an actual team name

-Just my personal opinion but I think people are worrying way too much over the names.  When it came out that they were going to be named the Raptors there were a lot of complaining about it.  20+ years later no one thinks twice about it because of what the team has done and built.

25 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Just a couple of personal thoughts on the names

-I know most don't like Founders but on the Vocal Minority pod they suggested (while mocking it) that it could be a slogan type thing (ie you never walk alone) not an actual team name

-Just my personal opinion but I think people are worrying way too much over the names.  When it came out that they were going to be named the Raptors there were a lot of complaining about it.  20+ years later no one thinks twice about it because of what the team has done and built.

Pretty sure it's actually the team name.

Agreed with your general point though. I think at worst it is a missed opportunity for many teams

10 hours ago, matty said:

York 9 FC - Idiots

Wasn't the worst. Calgary Cavalry and Hamilton Founders sound like they are trying very hard to go full Kansas City Wiz.

Surprised there isn't more interest on here about today's Halifax city council meeting:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4160093/halifax-council-apr-24/?utm_source=%40globalhalifax&utm_medium=Twitter

This is probably a case of going back to the council to get things like 7000 seats and naming rights that were requested in Edmonton last week that weren't approved the last time around when Waye Mason added all the awkward amendments to the pop-up approval.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

In reverse order:

1) Completely agree about Founders being a gawd-awful choice. Needs to be nixed ASAP.

2) How exactly does the word "wanderers" evoke tartan? I'm from a *crazy* Scottish part of NS, but I've never heard of this connection before.

3) I've seen people writing both names here, so I honestly just want to make sure I know what's being proposed/not going crazy: is it "Cavalry FC" or "Calvary FC"? The former seems like a decent name I guess, though I can't say I know of any real historic/current cavalry ties to the city. As for the latter, well, naming a club after the site of the crucifixion of Christ just strikes me as . . . odd. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

1) Glad I'm not alone, if they end up picking it part of me wants to see a twitter revolt that leads into a proper naming contest after such an awful name selection.

2) From my understanding, and maybe it's more of an Irish thing but I believe it has origins with the Celts wandering looking for a home, of which the Gaels eventually found in Scotland. I believe it may also have origins in the word Allaban and the original name of Alba for Scotland, but that is a bit of conjecture and I'm not that good a linguist. I believe there is also was a gentleman in the 1820s and 30s that Wandered the British isles Anonymously performing in towns entirely for charity due to a bet he lost, and he was known as the Wandering Piper, and everyone I know associates bagpipes with the tartan. Nevermind the fact that Nova Scotia was born of Scottish immigrants who wandered away from Scotland.

https://blog.nls.uk/just-who-was-the-wandering-piper/

3) Pretty sure whichever one is horses, I don't think a name with overt Christian overtones would go over well. This is why I said, I'd be wary of them using it in Saskatchewan to try to piggyback off the success of the Roughriders whose name is rumored to be due to Canadian troops who road to Theodore Roosevelt calavry unit of the same name, or possibly the Calgary Stampeders who are named after the rodeo, just for the sake of continuing the horse theme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Riders

Edited by -Hammer-

8 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

2) From my understanding, and maybe it's more of an Irish thing but I believe it has origins with the Celts wandering looking for a home, of which the Gaels eventually found in Scotland. I believe it may also have origins in the word Allaban and the original name of Alba for Scotland, but that is a bit of conjecture and I'm not that good a linguist. I believe there is also was a gentleman in the 1820s and 30s that Wandered the British isles Anonymously performing in towns entirely for charity due to a bet he lost, and he was known as the Wandering Piper. Nevermind the fact that Nova Scotia was born of Scottish immigrants who wandered the sea to the new world.

https://blog.nls.uk/just-who-was-the-wandering-piper/

I'd love to see some tie to the Acadian heritage in the province. Even a monument or flag at the stadium site would be welcome. An Acadian flag on the jersey would be absolutely awesome. 

I have no issue with the name 'wanderers' per se, although Halifax has a lot better associations that they could have chosen. 

17 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Founders FC - This is an awful name, and whoever conceived it should feel bad about themselves. First, it's arrogant and pretentious. The say we're the first that's what's important is sounding off on ego. Second, whenever I think Founders, I think a bunch of old men huddled around a table, and who wants that as their mascot. Third, rhymes with Flounder, Downer and there are any number of awful ways to make fun of it. Fourth, it makes it seem that the ownership and management are more important then the boys on the pitch. That making the league comes before the local club, which once again, the exact opposite thing you want. Last, the history here is tangential at best. The things Hamilton has done first aren't things you associate with the name Founders. We had the first telephone exchange, but we didn't found the telephone service. We had the first street lights, but we didn't found the electric grid (and mainly because Nikola Telsa was a nice guy). We might have had the first Tim Hortons but that was less a founding and more of an Amibitious man starting a business using a hockey player's name. About the only town I can see Founders working for is Charlottetown, and even then I'd think they'd be hesitant to go down that road. Seriously, this name has the prestige of those people on you tube who comment "First" on every video they come across. I've given this a week of though, and it's still awful and everyone who I have talked to about the name has pretty much said, it's either god awful, I prefer x name more or meh. Not a single person I am aware of has been wowed at all, and it's definitely not a safe bet name. I'd rather have Hamilton United or Steelers or any number of other names then Founders. Really hoping a naming contest occurs.

I think I agree on it not being a great name, but I don't find it nearly as offensive as you do. I couldn't help but notice you seemed to completely ignore the other definition of founders that I posted a while back. A refresher. "a person who manufactures articles of cast metal; the owner or operator of a foundry." I think the name has at least as much to do with steel as it does the founding of the league, and that any logo would be focusing on the steel aspect of things.

48 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think I agree on it not being a great name, but I don't find it nearly as offensive as you do. I couldn't help but notice you seemed to completely ignore the other definition of founders that I posted a while back. A refresher. "a person who manufactures articles of cast metal; the owner or operator of a foundry." I think the name has at least as much to do with steel as it does the founding of the league, and that any logo would be focusing on the steel aspect of things.

I have never heard of Founder being used as a term to describe a foundry worker/metalworker/foundryman, which are the names atypical of that occupation. Likely because of the duality it shares with Founder as someone who establishes an establishment. That said, it is in the dictionary, so you aren't wrong. I just think if you want to take that road, you go back to Steelers or go with a less potentially arrogant name.

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

Agree.  After all, the sports team in Canada with the largest following is named after a part of a tree.  And remember how so many people hated Ottawa RedBlacks - well they are filling their stadium regularly and nobody is boycotting because of the name.

York9 is kind of growing on me.  Halifax Wanderers is fantastic.  Personally hope the Calvary name is not for Calgary.  Kind of a tongue twister for me at least.

Jeepers!!  Its just mucking up people with the spelling!!  When you say it, Cavalry as in horses and John Wayne movies, vs Calvary as in Jesus and the cross etc.  When its the team name they'll say Cavs (like Cleveland B-ball) and the logo will have a horse like the Stampeders, so it wont be a problem.  

24 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

To be clear, it's Cavalry... Not Calvary.

Think what was being asked was whether that Cavalry name was for Calgary and Soefeia confirmed that it was and highlighted in doing so that some twitter commentaters who claim to be in the know were clueless on that and also on which city is "Port City" (confirmed for lower mainland BC).

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I had never heard the term but in that context, I like it. 

I know how to spell and say Cavalry, but if the team name is Calgary Cavalry I will have a hard time saying that. It is a bit of a tongue twister. Even if the name is just Cavalry FC, and they play out of Calgary, I fell like it will still cause confusion/awkward moments. Maybe if they aren't completely settled on it they will be swayed a bit by seeing how many people on here are typing Calvary.

Dear Canadian Premier League Fans,

The Canadian Premier League is excited to announce that we will be launching our new website to coincide with the launch of our new campaign, beginning this week.

Our new website will be the home for fans of the Canadian Premier League: who we are, what we stand for, and what we aspire to be. The site also boasts an intuitive and clean design and navigation. In addition, we will introduce a new fan program launching later this year that will contain content and features to provide you with a tailored and personalized experience.

This means that fans.canpl.ca will no longer be available and that your login will no longer be active. However, you can register to become a fan of the league or a member of your local club as they are announced.

We look forward to supporting the future of soccer in Canada together!

CPL Team
#CanPL