CPL General

52 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'm curious to see how the hell Jim Brennan managed to squeeze his way into being minority owner.

My suspicion is that the Baldassara family is the real money behind the team. They probably wanted someone on board as a "real soccer guy" and I'd be surprised if he had that much skin in the game. I'm sure he's well off but considering he was working for Aurora FC recently, likely not "own a soccer team" territory

The one I'm intrigued by is Ganzhorn. Harvard Business School alumnist, former TFC marketing director, former SmartREIT VP, etc. Seems to have the perfect background to lead this kind of startup.

And, if you want to put a tinfoil hat on with me, as a VP of SmartREIT Ganzhorn would have rubbed shoulders with their founder and chairman Mitchell Goldhar. Not that that means anything, but probably a good connection to have.

Edited by Complete Homer

24 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

My suspicion is that the Baldassara family is the real money behind the team. They probably wanted someone on board as a "real soccer guy" and I'd be surprised if he had that much skin in the game. I'm sure he's well off but considering he was working for Aurora FC recently, likely not "own a soccer team" territory

The one I'm intrigued by is Ganzhorn. Harvard Business School alumnist, former TFC marketing director, former REIT VP, etc. Seems to have the perfect background to lead this kind of startup.

And, if you want to put a tinfoil hat on with me, as a VP of REIT Ganzhorn would have rubbed shoulders with REIT's founder and chairman Mitchell Goldhar. Not that that means anything, but probably a good connection to have.

So Baldassara = 90%

Ganzhorn = 8%

Brennan = 2%

That sounds about right to me.

The Baldassara family company is the Greenpark group.  So a green kit makes sense and makes a nice contrast to TFC.   The Bio says they are the number 1 homebuilder in the country, mainly in GTA suburbs.  But someone from there will probably know more, but it sounds like deep pockets.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The Baldassara family company is the Greenpark group.  So a green kit makes sense and makes a nice contrast to TFC.   The Bio says they are the number 1 homebuilder in the country, mainly in GTA suburbs.  But someone from there will probably know more, but it sounds like deep pockets.

Yep, agree the green and the company name is no coincidence.  From the limited info I've seen on them, they are the kind of owner that seems about right for the CPL.  Deep pockets, in the community, successful in business. 

I'm curious to see who Rob Friend has recruited to be the deep pockets in his B.C. project.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yep, agree the green and the company name is no coincidence.  From the limited info I've seen on them, they are the kind of owner that seems about right for the CPL.  Deep pockets, in the community, successful in business. 

I'm curious to see who Rob Friend has recruited to be the deep pockets in his B.C. project.

Speculation a while ago was Dean Shillington, a financier in Vancouver, because there was a trademark filed at an address that matched his company and he follows/retweets the key CPL figures and statements

Edited by Complete Homer

So here's my take on the names.

Calvary - Marketable and bold enough, but a bit old timey if there isn't a good story behind it. If this though is an attempt to bottle the Roughriders lightening in a bottle, that's a dangerous proposition. Also encourages Vuluvezas ;D

Port City - This is a safe bet name that is easy to market with a nautical theme. So long as the locals aren't the kind to roll their eyes on this one, it can work. That said, this is pretty generic. I can't fault someone going with the safe bet, but I can't applaud it as groundbreaking either.

Calgary FC - This is generic, and don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that, but it strikes me that it'd be easier to try to pull from the Foothills or come up with something from the locals. Once again, can't fault the safe bet, but can't be wowed by it.

Wanderers FC - A great name, connects with the region's heritage and soccer culture. Leans towards a tartan theme which is perfect for New Scotland. There's really nothing to complain about here.

York 9 - Simple, straight, to the point, connects with the communities in the area and leaves you options to come up with your own logo and marketing (see Indy 11). Posistive for the most part.

Founders FC - This is an awful name, and whoever conceived it should feel bad about themselves. First, it's arrogant and pretentious. The say we're the first that's what's important is sounding off on ego. Second, whenever I think Founders, I think a bunch of old men huddled around a table, and who wants that as their mascot. Third, rhymes with Flounder, Downer and there are any number of awful ways to make fun of it. Fourth, it makes it seem that the ownership and management are more important then the boys on the pitch. That making the league comes before the local club, which once again, the exact opposite thing you want. Last, the history here is tangential at best. The things Hamilton has done first aren't things you associate with the name Founders. We had the first telephone exchange, but we didn't found the telephone service. We had the first street lights, but we didn't found the electric grid (and mainly because Nikola Telsa was a nice guy). We might have had the first Tim Hortons but that was less a founding and more of an Amibitious man starting a business using a hockey player's name. About the only town I can see Founders working for is Charlottetown, and even then I'd think they'd be hesitant to go down that road. Seriously, this name has the prestige of those people on you tube who comment "First" on every video they come across. I've given this a week of though, and it's still awful and everyone who I have talked to about the name has pretty much said, it's either god awful, I prefer x name more or meh. Not a single person I am aware of has been wowed at all, and it's definitely not a safe bet name. I'd rather have Hamilton United or Steelers or any number of other names then Founders. Really hoping a naming contest occurs.

Next up YEG

I really don't know what the Esk's objection is here. From my understanding they have additional fields in Edmonton. Don't they also have access to Foote Field? I know the Ti-Cats generally use Ron Joyce or a nearby indoor soccer dome for many of their practices. I get the Huskies objections, but do they draw significantly to require a large facility?

Last York 9

Glad to see another team getting announced officially, where are they playing?

Edited by -Hammer-

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Almost everything from John Cudmore's report has been confirmed so far, so it seems reasonable to use his reporting as a guide. He said they start of at the YorkU stadium then transition to their own stadium once it is built.

Uhh...your link is going to an article discussing concussions in Rugby, but regardless, York makes sense. Not sure if they'll be able to scrub the lines there though.

2 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Uhh...your link is going to an article discussing concussions in Rugby, but regardless, York makes sense. Not sure if they'll be able to scrub the lines there though.

Way at the bottom there is a tiny snippet

"The proposed York Region-based entry in the Canadian Premier League is likely to start its life playing out of the York University Pan Am Games facility. The group is angling for a stadium to be built in Vaughan seating 15,000 to 20,000 spectators … "

He had been reporting on this for a while in small chunks at the bottom of his other articles, I think it went unnoticed until I was sweeping the internet for the rumour roundup

Edited by Complete Homer

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Also, looks like we have a date for a York 9 announcement. TFC II, you are cordially not invited.

I went to the site and printed my own personalized ticket.  It will take my mind off eye surgery which I'll be having the next day.  

6 hours ago, Rheo said:
  • Three soccer games in July between Nova Scotia’s under-23 team and England’s under-20 team. The games are scheduled for July 14, 18 and 21 but are conditional on the status of the field after the rugby game in June.

Well that hardly seems fair.

Edited by HfxCeltic

I'd assume they will be using the newer York Lions Stadium,  built for the PanAm games with natural turf. Vs the older Alumni Field, which has permanent football lines on artificial turf. 

This is based on the Ontario Arrows rugby team announcing it as their home venue -  one game was supposed to have been played already but was cancelled for the ice storm. It's a bit small, the grass area is 110 x 60 to the edges of the track. (Scaled off google maps so not exact)

Edited by Tigers

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Calvary - Marketable and bold enough, but a bit old timey if there isn't a good story behind it. If this though is an attempt to bottle the Roughriders lightening in a bottle, that's a dangerous proposition. Also encourages Vuluvezas ;D

Calgary FC - This is generic, and don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that, but it strikes me that it'd be easier to try to pull from the Foothills or come up with something from the locals. Once again, can't fault the safe bet, but can't be wowed by it.

Calvary is also associated with Calgary.  Either or situation

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

. . . 

Wanderers FC - A great name, connects with the region's heritage and soccer culture. Leans towards a tartan theme which is perfect for New Scotland. There's really nothing to complain about here

Founders FC - This is an awful name, and whoever conceived it should feel bad about themselves. First, it's arrogant and pretentious. The say we're the first that's what's important is sounding off on ego. Second, whenever I think Founders, I think a bunch of old men huddled around a table, and who wants that as their mascot. Third, rhymes with Flounder, Downer and there are any number of awful ways to make fun of it. Fourth, it makes it seem that the ownership and management are more important then the boys on the pitch. That making the league comes before the local club, which once again, the exact opposite thing you want. Last, the history here is tangential at best. The things Hamilton has done first aren't things you associate with the name Founders. We had the first telephone exchange, but we didn't found the telephone service. We had the first street lights, but we didn't found the electric grid (and mainly because Nikola Telsa was a nice guy). We might have had the first Tim Hortons but that was less a founding and more of an Amibitious man starting a business using a hockey player's name. About the only town I can see Founders working for is Charlottetown, and even then I'd think they'd be hesitant to go down that road. Seriously, this name has the prestige of those people on you tube who comment "First" on every video they come across. I've given this a week of though, and it's still awful and everyone who I have talked to about the name has pretty much said, it's either god awful, I prefer x name more or meh. Not a single person I am aware of has been wowed at all, and it's definitely not a safe bet name. I'd rather have Hamilton United or Steelers or any number of other names then Founders. Really hoping a naming contest occurs.

In reverse order:

1) Completely agree about Founders being a gawd-awful choice. Needs to be nixed ASAP.

2) How exactly does the word "wanderers" evoke tartan? I'm from a *crazy* Scottish part of NS, but I've never heard of this connection before.

3) I've seen people writing both names here, so I honestly just want to make sure I know what's being proposed/not going crazy: is it "Cavalry FC" or "Calvary FC"? The former seems like a decent name I guess, though I can't say I know of any real historic/current cavalry ties to the city. As for the latter, well, naming a club after the site of the crucifixion of Christ just strikes me as . . . odd. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

CPL names are awful so far. Like my god lol they suck so much. They like did everything no one wanted. Except for Wanderers, that one is chill.

Grades
Wanderers FC - A
Calgary FC - C
Cavalry FC - C
Port City FC - C-
Founders FC - D-
York 9 FC - Idiots

Also nice to see York is "official"

Edited by matty

13 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

In reverse order:

1) Completely agree about Founders being a gawd-awful choice. Needs to be nixed ASAP.

2) How exactly does the word "wanderers" evoke tartan? I'm from a *crazy* Scottish part of NS, but I've never heard of this connection before.

3) I've seen people writing both names here, so I honestly just want to make sure I know what's being proposed/not going crazy: is it "Cavalry FC" or "Calvary FC"? The former seems like a decent name I guess, though I can't say I know of any real historic/current cavalry ties to the city. As for the latter, well, naming a club after the site of the crucifixion of Christ just strikes me as . . . odd. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

First time I saw it written as Calvary I double checked, it is Cavalry. As in the guys with guns who ride horses.

So if the team names are not to your liking, you won't be going?   OK  

And if you don't like the team colours or logos you'll pass too?   

Next week will it will be "The craft beer they will sell won't be cold enough"?  

Edited by Rocket Robin

34 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

So if the team names are not to your liking, you won't be going?   OK  

And if you don't like the team colours or logos you'll pass too?   

Next week will it will be "The craft beer they will sell won't be cold enough"?  

I'll go when able to with work and life (not counting TV here). As for colours, I dislike TFC's but still rock em. Also what beer? Some are meant to be served warmer.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Why do so many on this board spell it “Calvary?” There’s been half a dozen instances. Is it autocorrect? 

I think it is along the same lines as saying "axe" instead of "ask". ;)

3 hours ago, matty said:

CPL names are awful so far. Like my god lol they suck so much. They like did everything no one wanted. Except for Wanderers, that one is chill.

Grades
Wanderers FC - A
Calgary FC - C
Cavalry FC - C
Port City FC - C-
Founders FC - D-
York 9 FC - Idiots

Also nice to see York is "official"

You are a miserable bastard @matty. I'm sure I would enjoy talking football with you over a few pints! (Maybe even 9, in honour of my favourite CPL name so far!)

7 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Way at the bottom there is a tiny snippet

"The proposed York Region-based entry in the Canadian Premier League is likely to start its life playing out of the York University Pan Am Games facility. The group is angling for a stadium to be built in Vaughan seating 15,000 to 20,000 spectators … "

He had been reporting on this for a while in small chunks at the bottom of his other articles, I think it went unnoticed until I was sweeping the internet for the rumour roundup

Alright, this club has my interest. Not liking that shade of green though. Use a nice dark hunter green contrasted with white like the Bucks or Jazz even. 

52 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

You are a miserable bastard @matty. I'm sure I would enjoy talking football with you over a few pints! (Maybe even 9, in honour of my favourite CPL name so far!)

*drinks* grumble grumble grumble something about how Canada needs d3s out west, MLSE needs to start a NWSL team by 2022 and mandatory ref training for all elite u20 players of both genders in the national team program grumble grumble *drinks more. puts on disintegration and sits there gazing out the window thinking of those eyes*

Edited by matty