CPL General

13 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm not thrilled about Totera working with the CPL...

The normal protocol that we have seen unfold repeatedly would be for CanPL to announce the hiring of a new employee through a press release, so this:

may be a case of a fringe media figure with a track record of being a bit of a self-publicist talking up something relatively minor related to what would happen during the home games of the York 9 team. Worth noting he says working with "James Easton and the Canadian Premier League’s soccer operations team" rather than working with CanPL. I think he has some sort of role with L1O at the moment on game days and he was involved with the North York Rockets back in the day, so he is probably reasonably well-qualified to do something like that and it's probably a good way to make sure he stays on message in the months ahead given the way he flew off the handle over the Zambrano thing.

Meanwhile,...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-eskimos-fc-edmonton-1.4625416

...The president of the Edmonton Eskimos, Len Rhodes, showed up to the meeting Wednesday to caution councillors not to make a hasty decision. "We're going to stand firm in terms of what we need for football," Rhodes said after the meeting. The Eskimos use the field for practice when Commonwealth Stadium has concerts or other events, or is undergoing maintenance. Rhodes said he's worried the FC Edmonton request to be the primary tenant will block the Esks from accessing Clarke Stadium. Rhodes was one of nearly 20 people representing soccer or football to speak to the committee about the stadium. The Esks have a lease with the city until  2021 and said they pay $1 million a year in rent...

it remains to be seen whether not making a hasty decision over Clarke Stadium because the Eskimos want to still effectively be the primary user there and hence be the ones that call the shots over who does what in scheduling terms would mean no 2019 launch. Vocal opposition from someone very senior at the Eskimos was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened at this meeting as the timing of decisions related to the 2026 World Cup have made the next few months ripe for good things to finally happen for soccer in Edmonton in stadium terms.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Vocal opposition from someone very senior at the Eskimos was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened at this meeting 

So because not all people that spoke before the committee were 100% percent in favour of FCEd's proposal to the city it spells the demise of the club and league? Wow...you set new standards of douchebagism with every post. What is wrong with you? I mean besides being the absolute troll you are I don't understand what it is you get out of your constant negative commentary towards this league. How do you look in the mirror and call yourself a "Canadian" soccer proponent? Obviously everyone has opinions and is entitled to them but you sir go beyond normal discourse and/or exchanging of constructive ideas. I actually now feel sorry for you because it's apparent that this is a personality trait that condemns you to live in your mother's basement for the rest of your life. How sad.

14 minutes ago, longlugan said:

So because not all people that spoke before the committee were 100% percent in favour of FCEd's proposal to the city it spells the demise of the club and league? Wow...you set new standards of douchebagism with every post. What is wrong with you? I mean besides being the absolute troll you are I don't understand what it is you get out of your constant negative commentary towards this league. How do you look in the mirror and call yourself a "Canadian" soccer proponent? Obviously everyone has opinions and is entitled to them but you sir go beyond normal discourse and/or exchanging of constructive ideas. I actually now feel sorry for you because it's apparent that this is a personality trait that condemns you to live in your mother's basement for the rest of your life. How sad.

The only thing I have to say about this whole thing is apart from location, location, location the other most important thing to give this league a fighting chance to survive and grow is stadium, stadium and stadium, however, I do realize that is easier said than done unfortunately and that in the beginning some teams will probably have to make do with situations like FCE might have to deal with. FCE is most likely not going to get everything they want from the city in making their stadium a lot more soccer friendly because in all fairness the Eskimos have brought so much revenue to the city over the years while FCE really has not so FCE is going to have to make due with whatever they are given and try to make it work. However, if things go well then hopefully they will have the clout in the future to make that stadium a lot more soccer looking and friendly or even better build a real soccer only type stadium of their own privately funded. Let's be realistic look at TFC and BMO Field it could have been built right from the start as a real soccer friendly stadium instead it was not because it's a city owned field and was always built from the start with one day bringing the Argos in and now they are there and rightly so because it's a city owned stadium not a private one. Therefore, that's why even BMO Field was built with an open end and not totally enclosed with both ends close to the field . It was built the way it was so a CFL field could one day fit. BMO Field in terms of a real soccer look to it fails compared to some of the newer MLS stadiums that have been built lately because it was always built with the CFL in mind and rightly so because it's a public stadium not a private one. If we want real soccer looking stadiums then they will need to be privately funded ones and the only real looking very intimate fully enclosed stadium we have in Canada is in Montreal Saputo stadium which surprise surprise is privately   funded. Hopefully one day we can have most CPL teams playing in stadiums that look like a Saputo type stadium fully enclosed and very intimate and soccer friendly but that will probably take some time but hopefully one day.

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

The only thing I have to say about this whole thing is apart from location, location, location the other most important thing to give this league a fighting chance to survive and grow is stadium, stadium and stadium, however, I do realize that is easier said than done unfortunately and that in the beginning some teams will probably have to make do with situations like FCE might have to deal with...

Think the key items in the list of requests that may actually be even more important than the extra seats is the access to things like concession revenues and naming rights that flow from being treated as the primary tenant like the Eskimos are with Commonwealth Stadium rather than one of many rental users in a multiuse municipal stadium, because that gives them a shot at being financially viable on a USL sort of scale of operations. If Tom Fath is true to his word FCE are probably not coming back if they don't get that, which is what makes the Eskimo's posture at this meeting so problematic.

It would be very good news for Canadian soccer if the Clarke Stadium deal happens because the sort of crowd that is likely to be attracted to games there looks a lot better and generates more of an atmosphere in a 7000 seat format SSS compared to what happens in a CFL stadium in something like the Ottawa Fury's home opener at the moment, and this would set the precedent for a 7000 to 10000 seater soccer stadium being part of the standard municipal infrastructure in the sort of way that many/most of the larger non-MLS cities have a baseball diamond of that sort of size that is suitable for a minor league pro team:

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I know BBTB gets  fair amount of slack on here BUT he spot on with the point of playing in 'right sized' stadiums. It is impossible to create any atmosphere with 6000 people in a 25,000 seat stadium. 

Sure I understand we have to work with what we have in the short term but if this league is going to have a shot the reality is most clubs are eventually going to have to move to suitable stadiums. Of course this can take time. Even in MLS the REVS are playing in an NFL stadium. The goal though should be for most teams to play in smaller 'fillable' stadiums.

I'm pretty close with some of the people in Edmonton and I'm pretty confident in saying that there's no stopping what's going on there right now.  If Clarke falls through, something else will happen.

When you try and change something, there's always going to be resistance.  The important thing is that the Mayor, Don Iveson, is on board.  He's also fairly popular with young folks in town, and I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.

On 2018-04-21 at 8:14 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

I know BBTB gets  fair amount of slack on here BUT he spot on with the point of playing in 'right sized' stadiums. It is impossible to create any atmosphere with 6000 people in a 25,000 seat stadium. 

Sure I understand we have to work with what we have in the short term but if this league is going to have a shot the reality is most clubs are eventually going to have to move to suitable stadiums. Of course this can take time. Even in MLS the REVS are playing in an NFL stadium. The goal though should be for most teams to play in smaller 'fillable' stadiums.

I don’t recall anybody here debating him with regards to the merits of that.

Not to be suspicious  but why would they announce this through the SG (unless they jumped the gun)?  Nothing on Google or the city website that I can see for official

Although judging from the my soccer timeline on Twitter, people who might be in the know seem to acknowledge it as legit.

Edited by Rheo

6 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Not to be suspicious  but why would they announce this through the SG (unless they jumped the gun)?  Nothing on Google or the city website that I can see for official

Although judging from the my soccer timeline on Twitter, people who might be in the know seem to acknowledge it as legit.

The club may be using the Supporters Group to garner attention for a more public formal announcement event. I think Halifax is going the same route, as from what I've heard the supporters group is aware of an announcement date, but they've held the details close for now as more details are ironed out.

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

What other way than a cryptic way..

Just now, HfxCeltic said:

The club may be using the Supporters Group to garner attention for a more public formal announcement event. I think Halifax is going the same route, as from what I've heard the supporters group is aware of an announcement date, but they've held the details close for now as more details are ironed out.

Makes sense.  I'm just so used to the false starts/teases that don't amount to much that I prefer to wait for info from legit sources before getting too excited lol

And Halifax update https://globalnews.ca/news/4160093/halifax-council-apr-24/

• Council is being asked to consider a one-year lease agreement for the 2018 season, which will function as a trial run for the project. The municipality is also being asked to examine a separate three-year lease that will have SEA use the stadium to host Canadian Premier League soccer games in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

If passed, SEA will hold eight events during 2018:

• One Senior Men’s rugby game between Canada and the United States on June 23.
  • Three soccer games in July between Nova Scotia’s under-23 team and England’s under-20 team. The games are scheduled for July 14, 18 and 21 but are conditional on the status of the field after the rugby game in June.
  • One rugby game between Canada and England’s under-20 teams in August.
  • One rugby game and one soccer game in September.
  • One high school football game, the High School Turkey Bowl in October.