CPL General

56 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Sounds like we might some dirt in the near future. Totera is not happy with the coaching change and promising to tell all (of course taken with the usual  grain of salt) on the CPL

...was this the announcement we were promised this week?

Can we go back to not having announcements?  I don't like announcements anymore.

46 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

...was this the announcement we were promised this week?

Can we go back to not having announcements?  I don't like announcements anymore.

I'll believe it when I see it but he was pissed on his show tonight and said he's ready to spill things they told him not to say. Could be interesting 

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's ok guys, now that the CSA's done messing with the MNT and WNT, they can't possibly have enough energy left to screw up the CPL.

...right?

The concern might be that Octavio Zambrano was Victor Montagliani's hire just as CanPL (although he didn't seem all that keen on the name at one point when he talked about a swathe of investors calling it that) was his pet project. For once it might be interesting to hear what Anthony Totera has to say. Historically there has often been what can loosley be termed a British vs Italian turf war in influence terms within soccer associations and leagues in Canada and that has extended to the tactics coached by provincial associations and used by the national teams, so it might tie into that kind of thing on the former. On the latter, the joint 2026 WC bid is probably the angle that could have given MLS/SUM the influence needed to persuade the CSA to move in a somewhat different direction than the tack they were taking with Montagliani at the helm. Peter Schaad was hinting last month that something big is happening behind the scenes that hasn't been leaked yet, but I'm not sure what it is and that last bit was purely speculative on my part.

I love that the narrative has shifted in a couple of hours from the CSA are fuck ups who can't find their own ass to now they're master manipulators getting CPL news out to get heat off them. CSA sanctions the league, nothing more.  People really need  to live in the real world 

Edited by Rheo

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

I love that the narrative has shifted in a couple of hours from the CSA are fuck ups who can't find their own ass to now they're master manipulators getting CPL news out to get heat off them. CSA sanctions the league, nothing more.  People really need  to live in the real world 

Makes you wonder if the original plan was to hide the Herdman news in a CPL announcement.

Lots of things they can announce given they have stayed so silent when they really didn't need to. Provisional franchises for Surrey, Saskatoon, York Region (?) and Halifax would be an obvious one and maybe even a launch date (given they can always back track later if it proves impossible and there is no obvious reason not to set a goal on that publicly at this point)? Naive of anyone to think this isn't about helping the CSA through the Zambrano/Herdman situation, which in retrospect may well be what was described by Peter Schaad as an infuriating reason for further delay in December that suprisingly hadn't leaked yet.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard