CPL General

21 hours ago, Kent said:

I sure hope Brennan is getting the job for marketing reasons. Two seasons for Aurora in L1O and they finished 13th out of 16 in 2016 and 15th out of 16 in 2017. On the bright side, he was the coach in the better of the 2 seasons.

Aurora wasn't exactly on my list of L1O clubs I was hoping CPL would look to for recruiting managerial/front office talent.

But if the 10 teams, 2019, GTA team news is all legit, that's fantastic to hear.

Mr. Jim Brennan eh Canadian and TFC soccer icon, but lost all respect for this guy let me tell you why. As a parent of a player on the L10 Aurora team it was cool when my son made the Aurora L1O team in 2016 with Jim Brennan the coach. However, the team was put together with not much organization  and scouting of players in the GTA, just an open tryout and after a few tryouts a team was picked. Players were not going to be paid anything, Brennan making a speech that players should just play for the love of the game and the chance of going on to maybe playing pro soccer one day that the team and league was giving them by playing on it. Therefore, not much of a budget for this L1O team given to it by the Aurora youth soccer club, for a club with like 4000 registered players. Therefore, not many decent players were attracted to come over and play for the team. Brennan as a coach was another matter, he missed games and missed practises with his assistant coach  running a lot of the practises not  a good look for a former national and pro player  . Through further digging I was able to find out that Aurora was paying Brennan in the 100 000 range for doing what I wondered,  for having a fancy title of Aurora youth soccer club executive director.  Therefore,   Aurora had the money to pay this guy over 100 000 grand for what? But had no money to spend on their  L10 team! You know how far 100 000 can go in running a proper L10 team, it can go pretty far with paying a proper coach and coaching staff and also having some money left over to pay the players something, rather than having to just be happy to play for the love of the game as Mr. Brennan,  he of the big salary,  telling his players. In the end it's not Brennan I really blame, I can only blame him for signing up as coach but then missing practices and games, I blame the people in these youth clubs that make decisions like spending all this money on one guy for basically doing nothing when all that money can be spread out and going to developing the game by spending it on something like an L1O team!   We wonder why with all the kids playing soccer why we can't seem to win shit or qualify for anything , well its crap like this that makes you realize why. This happens not only at a club like Aurora but many youth clubs in Canada especially the ones with big player registration numbers.

Edited by 1996

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Mr. Jim Brennan eh Canadian and TFC soccer icon, but lost all respect for this guy let me tell you why. As a parent of a player on the L10 Aurora team it was cool when my son made the Aurora L1O team in 2016 with Jim Brennan the coach. However, the team was put together with not much organization  and scouting of players in the GTA, just an open tryout and after a few tryouts a team was picked. Players were not going to be paid anything, Brennan making a speech that players should just play for the love of the game and the chance of going on to maybe playing pro soccer one day that the team and league was giving them by playing on it. Therefore, not much of a budget for this L1O team given to it by the Aurora youth soccer club, for a club with like 4000 registered players. Therefore, not many decent players were attracted to come over and play for the team. Brennan as a coach was another matter, he missed games and missed practises with his assistant coach  running a lot of the practises not  a good look for a former national and pro player  . Through further digging I was able to find out that Aurora was paying Brennan in the 100 000 range for doing what I wondered,  for having a fancy title of Aurora youth soccer club executive director.  Therefore,   Aurora had the money to pay this guy over 100 000 grand for what? But had no money to spend on their  L10 team! You know how far 100 000 can go in running a proper L10 team, it can go pretty far with paying a proper coach and coaching staff and also having some money left over to pay the players something, rather than having to just be happy to play for the love of the game as Mr. Brennan,  he of the big salary,  telling his players. In the end it's not Brennan I really blame, I can only blame him for signing up as coach but then missing practices and games, I blame the people in these youth clubs that make decisions like spending all this money on one guy for basically doing nothing when all that money can be spread out and going to developing the game by spending it on something like an L1O team!   We wonder why with all the kids playing soccer why we can't seem to win shit or qualify for anything , well its crap like this that makes you realize why. This happens not only at a club like Aurora but many youth clubs in Canada especially the ones with big player registration numbers.

That's disappointing to hear. Based on that, I echo other's hopes that it's more of a marketing position or at the very least, administrative. Maybe something pointless like a liaison person with MLS. 

It's so cute that a very vocal minority on this board think they know what's going on with this league. I guess that's a big part of the reason why myself, and supporters I really respect such as Rob Notemboom, Jeff Salisbury, Dallas Walker, etc, now avoid this place like the plaque. Which is unfortunate, because I've met some really good people on this board.

I guess those of us who actually know what's happening will just have to continue to remain silent on the matter.

See you in the stands folks. Or more accurately, I won't see you in the stands, because the vocal posters I am referring to have no intention on putting their money towards making this thing succeed.

Edited by shermanator

47 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

That's disappointing to hear. Based on that, I echo other's hopes that it's more of a marketing position or at the very least, administrative. Maybe something pointless like a liaison person with MLS. 

I feel the accusations should be taken with a grain of salt given the lack of hard evidence presented in the post.  No offence meant to the person posting but one thing I've seen on here a lot is people rebutting accusations based on personal agendas.  

Edited by Rheo

31 minutes ago, shermanator said:

...because the vocal posters I am referring to have no intention on putting their money towards making this thing succeed.

If this is a reference to regularly paying to watch games being played in a national coast-to-coast pro league sanctioned by the CSA, some of us already did that the last time around. Maybe if more of you had some concept of what it was like to watch London Lasers vs Victoria Vistas or North York Rockets vs Calgary Kickers you would chill out a bit and stop seeing this CanPL thing as some kind of holy mission from God. Given our sport is on the upswing across North America, five years from now there will almost certainly be more pro soccer teams in Canada than there are now and that's a good thing. It remains to be seen whether reinventing the wheel is the strategy that will achieve the outcome of more pro level opportunities for Canadian players on a sustained basis, or whether using what was already readily available, but was blocked by the powers that be on Metcalfe Street back in 2010, is what ultimately gets the job done on that. If a stable and sustainable national pro league was easy to do in a Canadian soccer context it would already have happened a long time ago.

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If a stable and sustainable national pro league was easy to do in a Canadian soccer context it would already have happened a long time ago.

I told myself I wasn't going to help you keep this conversation going in circles, but here we go with a rebuttal that has been used several times before.

Did you say this same thing about MLS before it started a mere 12 years after NASL failed? Yes I know, USA hosted the World Cup to spur interest in the sport, but you could argue Canada has undergone a more meaningful transformation since our last failed league than USA did between NASL and MLS. When NASL failed USA was already well over the minimum bar for population to sustain a league. Aside from the World Cup it seemed to me that soccer was still very much a fringe sport in spectator terms back then in the USA.

Canada on the other hand has had a generation of it being the most played sport, has had lots of pro soccer on TV the last 20 years to grow the spectator side of things, and the population of Canada has grown about 17% since the CSL folded.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

...Did you say this same thing about MLS before it started a mere 12 years after NASL failed?...

The United States has ten times the population that Canada does, so it's not a sensible analogy (at the time I thought the APSL plan that would probably have involved the 86ers, Blizzard and Impact at launch was the sensible way to go, for what it's worth, and was following what unfolded closely courtesy of the ex-CSL commisoner Dales Barnes and his International Sports Report on the FAN 590). Beyond that I think you are missing my basic point. We don't need to reinvent the wheel to get more pro teams. The USL and the new NISA thing that is coming over the horizon are still going to be readily available. The future of pro soccer doesn't end in Canada if CanPL fails to get off the ground over the next twelve months, it just goes in a different direction.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The United States has ten times the population that Canada does, so it's not a sensible analogy

I addressed that. Despite USA's enormous population NASL still failed but they reinvented the wheel anyways and pulled off MLS. When CSL failed the population of Canada was about 27.5 million, and now is over 35 million, 27% higher than in 1992 (I had bad data and a miscalculation in my original post that claimed 17%). Whether we are at critical mass or not remains to be seen, but we have made significant progress in this regard.

As for your main point, yes sure there is a plan B if CPL doesn't get off the ground, but I and a lot of others here believe that to reach our maximum potential we need a league for us, by us. Not for US, by US.

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

It's so cute that a very vocal minority on this board think they know what's going on with this league...

I guess those of us who actually know what's happening will just have to continue to remain silent on the matter.

?

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I addressed that. Despite USA's enormous population NASL still failed but they reinvented the wheel anyways and pulled off MLS...

What really happened is that some of the teams like the Chicago Sting and San Diego Sockers moved indoors after the NASL had experimented with indoor seasons during the winter months, as they saw that as an easier way to make money and appeal to the mainstream sports fan. Pro soccer never went away and had some boom years in the 80s with the MISL where CMNT players like Dale Mitchell, Hector Marinaro and Tino Lettieri were star players earning very good money.

The huge crowds attracted by players like Pele, Cruyff and Best in many cities by the original NASL provided plenty of reasons to believe that the the outdoor version of the sport could be made to work on a D1 scale in 2 million plus population cities in a North American context if they could prevent player salaries spiraling out of control again. Single entity eventually got the job done even if the heavily domestic rosters initially caused issues with the quality of the entertainment product.

In contrast, the original CSL inspires significantly less confidence where a low budget Canadian pro league (minus the three MLS markets this time let's not forget) is concerned if you are looking at it rationally rather than in a flag waving sort of way. If we had a few more metropolitan markets the size of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, it probably would have found a way to hang in there the last time around through the deep economic recession of the early 90s and would still be up and running in the present day. We don't, so to reach eight teams cities like Halifax and Saskatoon start to enter the conversation instead and that's what makes CanPL a very risky venture in terms of sustainability moving forward and raises the obvious question of whether it wouldn't just be better to use what's already readily available, so the franchises that could legitimately make a go of it don't need to perpetually worry whether the weakest links have the cash flow available to make the monthly payroll and have to try to sell tickets for games against visiting teams that are way off the pace in quality terms, because there's no money available to actually pay most of the players. It's too bad more of you don't actually remember what having a domestic pro league looked like the last time around.

Sure it will be different this time, youth soccer registration boom, TFC draw 30,000 with players like Giovinco, owners don't expect to make money in the early years etc etc, but we won't really know what these would be owners would actually do until the startup capital is used up and decisions have to be made over how to bridge the gap between actual revenue and a budget based on an overly optimistic business plan. That's when the migration to the likes of Brian Timmis and Centennial Stadiums happens after all the fans that used to show up and pay for original NASL level games with Roberto Bettega on board decide that they have better things to do than watching a lower budget league with a lower standard of play, and then even more decide it's not worth it...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

16 hours ago, shermanator said:

It's so cute that a very vocal minority on this board think they know what's going on with this league. I guess that's a big part of the reason why myself, and supporters I really respect such as Rob Notemboom, Jeff Salisbury, Dallas Walker, etc, now avoid this place like the plaque. Which is unfortunate, because I've met some really good people on this board.

See you in the stands folks. Or more accurately, I won't see you in the stands, because the vocal posters I am referring to have no intention on putting their money towards making this thing succeed.

I really don't understand the argument, I am a bit lost.

Are you saying this: It is frustrating to argue with people when the special knowledge you have of a situation, which you cannot say out loud, like a kind of esoteric religious gnosis, has to remain shrouded in  mystery?

Basically: you are tired of arguing with people who do not know what you do?

Then, sure, I will even LIKE your post. I have always had great respect for people who argue on the basis of a direct line to the celestial spheres which I can't have. That always makes me shut up. 

Even if he’s witnessing a league which is doing well and is successful five years from now, BBTB will then probably do another argument shift and say this was the wrong direction to take and having more USL teams would be beneficial instead. If the league is booming ten years from now, someone here will probably dig up an article from a local London newspaper about a man who offed himself in some bizarre way over reasons unknown. 

On 2018-01-04 at 7:33 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

BTW, Shermanator: do you know how many of the naysayers, doubters or realists (however you view them) were original donors to the Voyageurs Cup? 

Same people you are slighting by saying they will never spend money to make something important for Canadian soccer to work. 

Do you really want to go there?

You are not seriously suggesting that giving $10-20 dollars to a crowd sourced more than a decade ago trophy gives anyone the higher ground are you? 

Edit: if you scroll down the list of contributors, you’ll find one name conspicuously absent (Not OPs, but that of a heavy contributor of negative posts to this thread. And he was around then).

edit 2 amending to note that the individual i was referring to in edit #1 indicates that he did donate so the edit above stands incorrect. Edit has occurred after a few quotes, so leaving original statement in.

Edited by Gordon
Correcting statement

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Can we let the league start and operate before writing its obituary? This is getting ridiculous

That assumes that the league will actually launch. If Tom Fath was solidly on board, I'd put money on it getting that far and was actually expecting it to happen by 2018 back around September or so when it looked like NASL's troubles meant FCE would be looking for a new league rather than folding. The problem they have without an Edmonton team is that there is a very limited range of viable stadiums ready to use as is and FCE's was one of the more likely ones to sustain a stable franchise that would get reasonable looking crowds in good first impression terms (I wouldn't be so confident with Swangard, the OSA Soccer Centre, Claude Robilliard, Moncton and St. John's on that). It remains to be seen whether Tom Fath is simply angling for some changes to the business plan at the moment (why still show up for meetings otherwise?) or is really going to give the whole thing the body swerve. If it ultimately doesn't happen and the CSA simply steps out of the way on D2 and D3 entry where USSF leagues are concerned, we'll still see plenty of activity in the years ahead in terms of new pro level franchises, so it wouldn't be the end of the world and there would still be better days ahead for our sport.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That assumes that the league will actually launch.

So may I ask, do you honestly believe that all the positive mentions from key people involved and outside sources in the last couple of weeks indicating an announcement soon and launch for 2019 have been nothing but BS?  If it is BS is in an attempt to shut up the naysayers?  Or are they just cruel bastards trying to taunt at naive fools who believe them?  Some other theory of yours as to why they would BS?

Just curious thanks.

Edited by Rheo