CPL General

Just now, matty said:

It would also add THE media market in Canada, so could boost any sponsorship deals they snag.

True and as we both argued always seemed likely as the most obvious way to reach six quickly without having to build anything, but the optics of the OSA Soccer Centre are a bit too Esther Shiner like to be able to be taken seriously with any Canada's D1 angle and a team there could easily struggle to break into four figures on crowds. Unless York University would be the base of operations, which is a better location from a transit standpoint but has its own set of issues with the running track and undersized field dimensions?

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

True and as we both argued always seemed likely as the most obvious way to reach six quickly without having to build anything, but the optics of the OSA Soccer Centre are a bit too Esther Shiner like to be able to be taken seriously with any Canada's D1 angle and a team there could easily struggle to break into four figures on crowds. Unless York University would be the base of operations, which is a better location from a transit standpoint but has its own set of issues with the running track and undersized field dimensions?

I agree the stadium looks shit but I think most CPL stadiums will look like shit. Place need to be tidied up but can't see it being much more than the modular stadiums.

https://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/7184010-new-aurora-pitch-brings-respect-to-soccer-ex-tfc-player-jimmy-brennan/

Probably not related, but Brennan presented a plan to build a 1.9 million dollar soccer pitch in Aurora with some basic facilities, bleachers, etc to be completed in 2018.  It was done on behalf of Aurora FC, so probably not actually related, but it could be plausible that the basic setup could be the city's contributions for a pop-up

Only thing I could find in the council's minutes were that "the presentation was discussed and recommendations were reviewed", doesn't seem like the report is public.

Still a bit of a stretch since it would mean some sort of arrangement between a nonprofit and an owner

Edited by Complete Homer

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

https://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/7184010-new-aurora-pitch-brings-respect-to-soccer-ex-tfc-player-jimmy-brennan/

Probably not related, but Brennan presented a plan to build a 1.9 million dollar soccer pitch in Aurora with some basic facilities, bleachers, etc to be completed in 2018.  It was done on behalf of Aurora FC, so probably not actually related, but it could be plausible that the basic setup could be the city's contributions for a pop-up

Only thing I could find in the council's minutes were that "the presentation was discussed and recommendations were reviewed", doesn't seem like the report is public

I certainly hope not. The Ontario Soccer Centre isn't ideal, but I could see it working somewhat, made a little better but the new subway station (York would definitely be better). Aurora would be way too far though for most people and I just don't see Aurora itself having attendances required. If it does end up being there, I hope it works out and demonstrates the potential for something closer to Toronto proper. 

13 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I certainly hope not. The Ontario Soccer Centre isn't ideal, but I could see it working somewhat, made a little better but the new subway station (York would definitely be better). Aurora would be way too far though for most people and I just don't see Aurora itself having attendances required. If it does end up being there, I hope it works out and demonstrates the potential for something closer to Toronto proper. 

I'm just throwing out ideas, don't take that post as anything of substance. I was just looking for presentations for soccer venues made to York Region's council and it was the first thing I came across

Edited by Complete Homer

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

Guess we'll have to find out later about the venue. Most likely, they've worked that part out a while ago 

If they were as close to the soft launch as was being indicated to peope at the Regina fan meeting and they are ready to actually hire people that will be very much done and dusted, which is why the OSC in Vaughan is the most likely scenario. The interesting thing to watch will be whether there is an investor involved or it is a league owned franchise to put the numbers together and add a market that would be very difficult to succeed in but where they will need to be in media and sponsor terms. Jim Brennan as TFC's first ever signing and former captain has probably been hired for marketing reasons as much as for his coach/GM potential.

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

USSF presidential candidate Eric Wynalda has made a few interesting tweets and re-tweets.  Reading between the lines, he'd like it if the Canadian MLS teams f***ed off and joined a Canadian domestic league.

I'd like it if he just fucked off generally. :)

Someone on reddit suggested the Apostolopoulous family as potential owners in York.

Not an implausible guess. They've had interest in getting involved in MLS before, are worth 3.9 billion, are behind a billion dollar entertainment project in Pickering, and Steve Apostolopoulos follows Paul Beirne on twitter (though he also follows a number of sports executives)

Again, just throwing out guesses of who could be behind it

Edited by Complete Homer