CPL General

22 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

As it is only 8 teams, I think 4 in the playoffs sort of devalues it a bit in that you may have two really good teams, a decent third-place team, and a poor fourth team.  You may have a situation where the fourth place team has more losses than wins, so I'm OK with this format on the whole.

3 out of 8 teams (37.5%) of the league makes the playoffs. I'd be fine keeping it at that number of teams until the league gets to 12 teams, then I'd add a fourth team to the playoffs to keep the ratio at 33.3%. I think it's a fine balance between having too many playoff teams that the regular season becomes meaningless, and too few playoff teams where the season soon becomes meaningless for most of the clubs.

29 minutes ago, Initial B said:

3 out of 8 teams (37.5%) of the league makes the playoffs. I'd be fine keeping it at that number of teams until the league gets to 12 teams, then I'd add a fourth team to the playoffs to keep the ratio at 33.3%. I think it's a fine balance between having too many playoff teams that the regular season becomes meaningless, and too few playoff teams where the season soon becomes meaningless for most of the clubs.

f they go 4 teams, I'd want to see a Page Playoff system they do for our national curling championships. Team in 1st would get 2 home games too, so it rewards the team winning the league. And if you finish 3rd or 4th, you need to win 3 straight games.

Bob Bradley on what he wants to see in the MLS in the next 25 years is very much a blueprint for CPL also. 

Time to take off the hand brakes.

Let teams forge their own identities. 

Let youth players develop in clubs that best suits their style - scrap homegrown system.

Make everyone feel part of the system. Too many people are left on the outside. This means introducing solidarity payments to youth clubs and promotion/relegation.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/02/26/mls-anthem-music-hans-zimmer-walkout-processional?utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=si-soccer

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I also think the there are too many teams. There are unlimited players yes but if they wanted to build the domestic product and build domestic stars they would funnel the too level talent upwards. Too busy collecting expansion fees and doing real estate deals

Exactly, a country not even in the top 20 of producing football talent with a 30-team league. It's fundamental disrespect to the fans.

In all the powerful leagues in the world there are top markets in 2nd and 3rd tier. They do not all have to be in top flight. They have to work for it. You have a balanced schedule and time to take cups and international competition seriously. 

If MLS were in 2 tiers, say a first division with 18 teams, top flight would be much better and 2nd would be like 2nd everywhere, a sort of dire punishment with a just a bit of sparkle. 

20 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I also think the there are too many teams. There are unlimited players yes but if they wanted to build the domestic product and build domestic stars they would funnel the too level talent upwards. Too busy collecting expansion fees and doing real estate deals

I know that this is a CPL thread, and that it's "kit reveal night", so forgive the tangent ...

There is no such things as too many football clubs 😀, but I know you meant "too many clubs at the same level". As you pointed out, in the US context, it's just a matter of implementing hierarchy, for both clubs and players. The roadblock is USSF/SUM/MLS, but that's a cluster too deep to get into here. The US is just too populous with too many markets to have a single 30-40 team league. The best solution I've seen was proposed by Daniel Workman and Chris Kivlehan. Check them out on Twitter. Basically, they propose four regional D1 leagues, with a Champions League-style domestic competition on top for the playoff fans. See picture below, and again, apologies for the tangent. 

Image-1.jpg.d907c3cbc95581e703b4e2ae738fad6d.jpg 

Right there should be a million soccer teams but funneled in to a top tier. Are there even 5 legit American "stars" in MLS? I would say no. Lesson for the CPL. I think pound for pound we have more talent in Canada but clearly a smaller nation. We should have as many teams as possible but 14 max in our top tier

Edited by SpursFlu

None.  End of story.  The pro/reg system in England goes back to the roots of the game in the 1880's when the game was amatuer.  Trying to force it on MLS owners in 2020 with hundreds of millions of dollars invested into the team and league just wont happen.  Just like north america cant force europe into having a draft system or extended playoffs etc, things that are ingrained in our sporting culture.  

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

None.  End of story.  The pro/reg system in England goes back to the roots of the game in the 1880's when the game was amatuer.  Trying to force it on MLS owners in 2020 with hundreds of millions of dollars invested into the team and league just wont happen.  Just like north america cant force europe into having a draft system or extended playoffs etc, things that are ingrained in our sporting culture.  

That's their prerogative.

I just don't expect them to reach their goals of being a top league in the world until they trim down to 20 teams.

We don't understand how the MLS structure works though, do we? When you hear about Blank paying $200m for a franchise, is that really what's happening? Or is he becoming a partner in SUM that owns the whole league? If it's the latter, I don't see why you'd care if Atlanta United is relegated and Charlotte City promotes. You still own your share of MLS either way.

I think it's more likely that the push for expansion is driven by the American TV model that requires you to blanket every populous region. But if this model fails, and it turns out the TV draw for MLS is actually more from abroad, they may have to modify their structure to suit Worldwide norms.

My uninformed guess is that if someone like MediaPro says we will give you $1b for TV rights, but you gotta split into D1 & D2, it would happen in a second because all the D2 "owners" are really just chairmen at the end of the day. What they own is a percentage of SUM, and SUM gets the TV money. 

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

I think pro rel could work with mls and soon will likely have to work. Does anyone really expect the Colorado Rapids to keep up with LAFC and Atlanta United. They would just have to sell both tiers as the same entity. Sponsorships, media etc. You could also reconfigure US Open Cup to maybe a group play to get that crossover. It can be done. They would just need to get creative in the structure and maintain a level of revenue sharing and media engagement in both tiers

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think pro rel could work with mls and soon will likely have to work. Does anyone really expect the Colorado Rapids to keep up with LAFC and Atlanta United. They would just have to sell both tiers as the same entity. Sponsorships, media etc. You could also reconfigure US Open Cup to maybe a group play to get that crossover. It can be done. They would just need to get creative in the structure and maintain a level of revenue sharing and media engagement in both tiers

...and if they do that they can easily justify expanding out to 40 or so. Worth noting in a similar sort of way that CanPL only talks about pro/rel happening between separate future divisions of CanPL, but not as far as I am aware about teams ever being promoted up into the league from a semi-pro provincial level or teams ever being relegated out of it in the opposite direction. No chance of that ever happening if a $9 million expansion fee is really being quoted to interested groups. 

14 minutes ago, RS said:

They easily could, but Kroenke gonna Kroenke.

But at certain point the level of play on the field needs to align somewhat with the revenue and interest being generated. Just ask Man City lol

But seriously there is no way a team with 14k scattered in a glorified high school football stadium should be on the level with 50k and 100s of thousands/millions of people engaged with a team on a daily basis

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I just don't expect them to reach their goals of being a top league in the world until they trim down to 20 teams.

I don't see why not. The other NA major leagues are pretty much considered the pinnacles of their sports worldwide and they all have at least 30 teams. And a lot of the salary caps depend on their media deals. For Example:

NFL (32 teams) - Salary Range: $271-174 million USD;  Media Deals: $3,050 million USD/yr  

NHL (31 teams) - Salary Range: $81.5-60.3 million USD;  Media Deals: $527 million USD/yr  

MLB (30 teams) - Salary Range: $211-54 million USD;  Media Deals: $2,200 million USD/yr  (not including local TV deals)

NBA (30 teams) - Salary Range: $109-132 million USD;  Media Deals: $2,700 million USD/yr  

MLS (26 teams) - Salary Range: $22.2-7.2 million USD;  Media Deals: $90 million USD/yr (not including Canada)

I expect MLS to get a media deal in the $900-600 million USD/yr range, which should allow for Salary Caps in the $100-50 million range and vault it into the top tier of leagues. Of course, this would destroy the US player minutes at the Div 1 level, but Academy prospects who can't make the first team can ply their trade in USL and improve over time.

Edited by Initial B